New With Sikhism

Palarmux

Bro get into meditation instead of drinking but to put it in contrast or compare you will notice drinking give you small drop of materialstic bliss or high/chill but bliss from meditation..well what can i say? its start from drop of divine bliss, pond of divine bliss, river of divine bliss, sea of divine bliss and countless ocean of divine bliss..

Your delimna or opinion on diet you are mentioned are very very minor things to spent time on when it comes to divine..just like those nasa scientist gets very deep perspective on life/world problems when they see earth from space ..they see a full galaxy with tiny miny fragile ball which we call earth which can break into countless number of fragments of peaces in anytime like star, earth and its problem things seems very small in galaxy- just visualize that if you are not sure anything.. everything disappears just like that when someone have tasted divine bliss and can see things from one vision/one eye/one perception of ikongkar and they get very fresh perspective on life which is so profound that adapting right diet, sikh principles seems walking in water, becomes very easy..!!

Sat sri akal!

I found sikhism few month ago, but to keep it short - I was depressed, cutting, listening suicidal black metal. Until I found artist called Snatam Kaur, at the moment I dont listen anymore black metal and I have found alot good music from sikh artists :) I have really thought to come into sikh, so I have few Question.

Wow that's really inspiring that Gurbani lifted you out of depression. Whatever path u choose in your life, we as a Sangat pray the best for you.

1. Is it turban necessary? I live in Finland and this country is pretty Racist. I dont scare that people laugh at me if I wear it, but I just dont like the way it look.

If after research into Sikhi, you keep your hair then yes it is advisable to wear a turban but many youths do wear du-rags and don't forget that 90% of Sikhs are Sehajdhari like yourself. So at this stage you are a Sehahjdhari (slow adopter towards ultimate Amritdhari status hopefully)

2. Is it ok to drink wine once in a while? I dont mean to get drunk - I just like the taste of wine and its becoming my hobby.

Drinking alcohol is forbidden to Sikhs but if u are not at Amritdhari stage it doesn't cut u out of Sikhi. But if u feel alcohol causes a lot of health problems in your country in terms of cirrhosis and alcohol related car accidents then hopefully that will encourage u to stop drinking.

3. Any tips for meditation? Sometimes I have problems with meditation, I just dont get that chill/relaxing "state". I also have difficulties to open third eye, not sure if these 2 problems has connect or something.

N30S1NGH explained it best as well as that the main point about Sikhism is your positive contribution to helping others with "seva" (community service)

4. I dont get that why we should chant while we meditate, I like to be in silence and just relax. Is it wrong?

If u want to mediate on God in silence there is nothing wrong with that

I usually chant along when I listen some sikh artist (guruganesha sinhh, snatam kaur etc.)

Chanting or not chanting the main thing is the true focus on one God

5. Is it ok if I dont wear Kirtan, kanga and kaccha? I mean I just dont have money for those at the moment, and carrying knife in public is crime in Finland.

Kirpan etc are needed when a Sikh becomes Amritdhari. You are at Sehajdhari stage so you shouldn't progress to something until u are totally sure.

6. Is it Tattoos forbidden in sikhism?

It is advisable not to tamper with the body but Sant Maskeen Ji and Gyani Sher Singh Ji had tattoos done and they have utmost love for Sikhi

Good luck in your journey and we are also only fellow learners (Sikhs) who are tring to improve our jeevan (life) via Sikhi

Bro get into meditation instead of drinking but to put it in contrast or compare you will notice drinking give you small drop of materialstic bliss or high/chill but bliss from meditation..well what can i say? its start from drop of divine bliss, pond of divine bliss, river of divine bliss, sea of divine bliss and countless ocean of divine bliss..
Your delimna or opinion on diet you are mentioned are very very minor things to spent time on when it comes to divine..just like those nasa scientist gets very deep perspective on life/world problems when they see earth from space ..they see a full galaxy with tiny miny fragile ball which we call earth which can break into countless number of fragments of peaces in anytime like star, earth and its problem things seems very small in galaxy- just visualize that if you are not sure anything.. everything disappears just like that when someone have tasted divine bliss and can see things from one vision/one eye/one perception of ikongkar and they get very fresh perspective on life which is so profound that adapting right diet, sikh principles seems walking in water, becomes very easy..!!

Veerji i respect your views, but this is to deep for this person , he says he was suicidal a few months ago and now wants to come into sikhi, and that drinking wine is good for his health, this thinking does not add up to someone who we can call a sikh, my view is this that he has found some peace in listening to snatam kaur etc, but some would argue is she a sikh ,but that another topic, we have enough people who declare themselves sikhs but dont want to follow sggs ji's teaching without adding any more, lets not be wishy washy and tell people straight if you drink alcohol, smoke, eat meat, take drugs as well as many others, lie, slander, commit adultry and dont want to follow sggsji then you are not a sikh instead off patting every one on the back who wants to a sikh but says oh its ok to do certain things as i feel God will understand but then if they dont want to follow Guru ji then they are not sikhs. Apologies if this sounds harsh but lets stop wrapping it up in cotton wool.

I m not even suggesting even remotely anyone to drink alchohol or wine. If you read or did gurbani khoj mal veer, there are plenty of worldly examples given in gurbani just to put it contrast with divine for readers so that readers have something they can relate to .. leave worldly bliss and transcend towards divine bliss.

drinking alcohol/wine is not being a sikh, seriously listening to snatam kaur & guruganesha is one thing being a sikh is another.

When you say I have really thought to come into sikh, so I have few Question.

learn by all means but do not declare you are a sikh or convert as your are far from ready for that.

I dont declare, that I am sikh. I would consider myself more into christian at the moment. But I WANT to be sikh, because it gave me peace trought meditation. I still dont get few thing in your religion and thats why I am lilttle bit astonished (been my whole life christian and trust me, its pretty much different than Sikhism). I am not here to start argue with anyone, I am here to learn.

Palarmux

Take it easy....don't push anything on yourself....The word "Sikh" itself means "to learn", so it's life-long process.....as human beings that's what we do, keep learning something, good or bad......but learning good is all about "Sikhism"

Keep doing meditation......like N30Singh ji said the breath technique works for many...

Sikhism is not about converting others. It actually emphasizes on the fact that a person should follow his/her own religion, but whole heartedly, shouldn't manipulate it according to one's own needs. Now that doesn't mean one can't convert to Sikhism.

You can move further depending on how your spiritual level goes. This will start some internal changes, meaning getting rid of bad habits etc by itself. You'll notice yourself.

And by reading the translation you'll get the essense of Sikhism.

This link provides you with plenty of books in Engish. Hope this helps.

http://www.gurmatveechar.com/literature?browse=English_Books

This person is new to sikhi tell him the basics, you seem to be going to deep as usual, when he says he wants to learn, then he needs to learn about our Guru Sahibs firstly there principles, keerat kamai, vand shakna, naam simran, keep away from vices(alcohol etc).

The third eye (i think he means the dasam dwar), divine bliss are very very difficult to obtain and only by Guru ji's grace, sikh principles seeming like walking in water (dont believe that you make it sound so simple) when Guru Sahib ji tells us many time this path is very difficult, sharper than the edge of a sword, smaller than a hair.

As for not suggesting drinking wine or alcohol, i am not saying you are, but some posts on this topic dont seem to be condeming this action,rather they are giving this person a pat on the back.

What i am saying is lets be blunt and tell this person what is anti Gurmat from the offset or we will be answerable to Guru sahib ji not him.

I am not arguing but can not and will not sit by let this person believe that wine etc is in anyway acceptable in sikhi. so lets all give him the correct info

There are plenty of new sikhs post here on this forum, not even once i talk about deep stuff to them as they don't show interest in meditation at that point of their time. But coming back to this thread and this young gentleman here, I mentioned things in post based on "HIS" interest in sikhi which is "through meditation" and 3rd and 4th question he asked..so i was merely try to find a common ground to build a relationship with potential sikh.
I did mention de-attaching from panj main chors (5 vices) and invoking good attributes and also mentioned diet aspect where i told him to avoid meat, egg, wine and alchohol..i think that was pretty blunt in a nice way don't you think bro?