Hemkunth Sahib - Torrential Rains Cause Havoc

I often think that prominent Gurdwaras may have a good effect on the local population, however I am proved wrong again. The local Hindu population around Hemkunth Sahib who make good money out of Sikh pilgrims tried to virtually rob the stranded Sikhs. I hope Sikhs boycott them in the future.

Locals treated them as source of quick buck

Amit Sharma

Tribune News Service

Chandigarh, June 22

As if the natural disaster and consequent mayhem was not enough, the pilgrims stuck in the flash flood-hit Uttarakhand were meted out a cruel treatment by the locals.

The visitors were treated as a source of easy money. The cost of all essential items, particularly food and water, rose manifold. A ‘parantha’ that otherwise cost Rs 10 went as high as Rs 50. A bowl of boiled rice was also being sold at almost the same price.

The survivors were at the mercy of the taxi drivers. They were being charged around Rs 15,000 for a 250-km journey from Joshimath to Rishikesh; the normal fare is around Rs 4,000.

Jaspal Singh of Kapurthala, who underwent throes of agony but managed to return to Chandigarh, said the locals deceived them when their support was needed the most. “They (locals) fleeced us as much as they could. We were treated as a source of fast income,” he said.

Harmeet Singh, another pilgrim from Kila Raipur in Ludhiana, said, “I spent two days without food as all my belongings got washed away. To my shock, the residents were virtually auctioning cooked food, selling it to the one who could pay the most.”

Having no money to hire a taxi from Joshimath to Rishikesh, Harmeet was lucky enough to be rescued by the Army.