Started To Wear A Turban

I've recently started to wear a Pagh after 20 years of cutting my hair, I felt that there was always something missing and knew that one day I would start to grow my hair and start to wear a pagh again. The time came about 4 weeks ago and I'm feeling so much happier and closer to Sikhi than I ever was.

I've started to tie a fresh pagh every day rather than have one made with mandi, which I did to when I was a teenager. I don't like the idea of a mandi pagh and I think that a fresh tied pagh looks best. I'm getting quite good at tying it now, i;ve watched quite a lot of youtube videos. I've got a few questions that I'm sure someone will be able to answer.

What kind of material is best use when tying every day? Currently i'm using Mal Mal which I bought from the local punjabi clothes shop, but I feel that it's not right, it feels too light and the larh are quite small, probably about 5 or 6 cm wide.

How do you keep your pagh from staying tight all day? by the afternoon mines feels a bit loose and I really would like to tie it again but there is no where at work to do that.,

Does anyone have any experience of growing your hair, mine was pretty short, its getting longer now but its difficult to manage. I can't wait until I can tie my hair into a joora. By the end of the day it hurts because I keep push it in with my salai, but I can live with that, it's my own fault!

Should you wear something underneath your pagh? like a bandana? the style I tie is like a kenya/african/british style.

Do most people remove their paghs when they get home? what should you wear instead? I know it's a personal choice, at the moment I just wear a bit of cloth that I've cut from when I tied my pagh but it looks a bit untidy.

Many thanks in advance, I'll keep you updated on my journey.

What kind of material is best use when tying every day?

- F74 very light and gets softer the longer you wear it

How do you keep your pagh from staying tight all day?

- make sure you start off doing your pagh tightly, that should work if not try changing the material because that might be the problem.

Should you wear something underneath your pagh? like a bandana?

-its mostly your choice, but alot of people wear it that have alot of hair so it can start off a foundation for their pagh, and it also compliments the pagh since you can see bit on the bandana (middle of your forehead).

Do most people remove their paghs when they get home? what should you wear instead?

Yes, most people remove their paghs and wear something called a parna which is a small pagh.

Here's a link of how it looks like:

Good luck on your journey!

its good to tie a smaller turban underneath or a bandana to start off with its creates a good base to tie the main turban on especially when your hairs still growing

and i think its awesome - wear your crown with pride !

Congratulations veerji!

The material you use is just personal preference. The 3 main types are Mal mal (F74), Full Voile and Rubia. Mal mal is the lightest material, full voile is slightly heavier and Rubia is the heaviest. We stock all 3 if you wanted to try them out:

http://www.sikhistore.com/category/dastars/

I personally tie a small dastar under my main dastar, both full voile. Normally I keep the main dastar tied all day. Sometimes though if just at home I will tie just the small dastar.

Some children and elders for sports tie a patka:

http://www.sikhistore.com/product/patka-with-tassels/

Most people wear a parna unless it's something formal it's easier to tie and maintain.

A lot of people also wear a patka, and what's called a fifty which is a small strip of colored cloth that you see under the forehead and tie the dastaar over that to give added style.

I'd def. wear something underneath until you can tie a joora, if you have straight hair it should be easy after that.