When Did Your Family Become Sikhs

Having your names registered at Hardwar, was only for the Brahman and Khatris. This tradition may still have been carried on even though the people were Sikhs. This is not an anti-sikh practice.

Thats actually very true. Before partition, for rural jatt Sikhs it was the mirasis that kept the records of family history. Not written records mind.....the mirasi tradition was and is purely oral, passed on from generation to generation. After 1947, the only mirasis that stayed behind were the bhangra singers such as kuldip manak etc. The rest all left for Pakistan. Thus, as the muslim half of my clan has since re-settled in rural district Faislabad, thats probably where I'd have to go to get an in-depth history of my family.

If I had to guess though....I'd say we only became Sikhs from Guru Hargobind ji's time onwards. Most Jatts only joined when the martial fighting tradition started.

Btw....that Punjab govt website is total rubbish. Not only can I not find anything on it but it even has my village listed in the wrong Tehsil.

Since we're having a great discussion on facts related to historical stats about the Sikh population back in the 1800s, I've opened a separate thread to save all those wise replies.

Please continue posting here: http://www.sikhsangat.com/index.php?/topic/72111-historical-sikh-population-records-from-1800s-tangent-topic-when-did-your-family-become-sikhs/

Let me know if you guys want to discuss about how your ancestors came into Sikhi and I'll re-open this thread. But for all other statistical/historical data related discussion please continue to contribute in the thread mentioned above.

• 1 month later...

One of my mothers forefathers, Bhai Nagaaiya Ji bhaint (gifted) neela ghorha to Sri Guru Gobind Singh Sahib ji, when Guru Sahib reached Aalamgir after passing through the jungles of machiwarha.

Wahegurur

Many punjabi sikhs can trace their ancestry to "Sultani Sikhs". These Sikhs has beards and Dastaar etc. but practised rituals as prescribed by Muslim Pirs. They had the outward appearance of Gursikhs, but did not follow Gurmat per say.

The Khalsa Raj, by Maharaja Ranjit Singh, would have had a huge influence towards Sikh identity.

The Amrit Sanchar Gursikhs, at Sri Keshgar Sahib ( Anandpur Sahib), used to keep a detailed register of Amritdhari Sikhs; maybe that register could shed some light on matters, according to the village the Gursikhs came from.

Waheguru....

I don't know much I should ask about my ancestory, but from my understanding from various Sikh ithihaas sources it says one individual tried to give a khachar to Guru Sahib even though Guru Sahib knew he had a nice ghora. The owner lied and Guru Sahib confronted the lie and then got the horse. He told the peasant that he was heading a certain way. The peasant ratted to the Mughal authorities and a Sikh heard, but Guru Sahib already knew about it and told him the wrong way on purpose.

Not really related but tuhituhi's post reminded me of it.