When Did Your Family Become Sikhs

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

my family isn't amritdhari, so were not really Sikhs I guess, but my second name is sodhi, so I think I go back to some of the guru's ?, in the Vichitra Natak by guru gobind, he says that sodhis go back to rama and site, one of their sons had a kid named sodhi ? .. something like that. my mums second name is purewal, purewal was a person in the khalsa army who later had three sons, all of them settled in different places, one of them settled in Shankar, thats where my mums family comes from but they latter moved to another pind.

My Grand Father was Hindu and my father became sikh being influenced by the Akali movement (pre independence movement to free gurudhams from the clutches of Mahants) i heard from the elders that one of my ancestors(great Grand Father of My grand father ) was married to grand daughter of Baba Ala Singh , so presumably he was singh, and of Course almost all menbers of our clan- Basra -mostly living in and around Phagwara , barring a Few are all Sikhs .So down the Family line i couldnot find where ancestors reverted back to hinduism , but yes at our present Village , my father was first in the clan to embrace Sikhi

Oh man I wish I knew. I know nothing past the previous couple of generations, and neither does anyone else. :(

You can know. As I said in a previous message earlier on in this thread :

Before partition, for rural jatt Sikhs it was the mirasis that kept the records of family history. Not written records mind.....the mirasi tradition was and is purely oral, passed on from generation to generation. The Mirasi-Jat relationship was peculiar to the Jatts amongst the Sikhs as most of the other Sikh groups stuck with the Hindu tradition of recording heritage with written records in places like Haridwar etc. 'Miras' is the Arabic word for heritage and so the word Mirasi literaly translates as the 'Keepers of the Heritage'. After 1947, the only mirasis that stayed behind were the bhangra singers such as kuldip manak etc. The rest all left for Pakistan. Thus, as the muslim half of my clan has since re-settled in rural district Faislabad, thats probably where I'd have to go to get an in-depth history of my family. You'd have to trace which district in Pakistan the Muslims of your village were re-settled in (which is not difficult to do), locate the children of those Mirasis, and I guarantee they'll know every little detail of your family history.

• 1 month later...

My family became Sikhs just before the Partition and they were heavily influenced by the fact that Bhai Randhir Singh Ji had such powerful kirtan(which sadly I've never heard) and they really wanted to live a similar lifestyle to Randhir Singh's and live the way the Gurus wanted people to live(my family never officially considered themselves as Akj) also on another side of my family they were influenced by some Brahigyani(arround the same time) and were inspired to take Amrit. So really my ancestors of Sikhi was not that far away, luckily they choose Sikhi so I wouldn't have to search as hard to find the truth.