When Did Your Family Become Sikhs

I was just wondering, do any of you have any idea when your family first became Sikhs?

Mine became Sikhs at the time of the 7th guru. Guru Har Rai Sahib came to my pind. He stopped off with an army before heading off to Kartarpur Sahib.

I don't know how accurate this story is but I was told my some old people, they said that the Guru came to the pind and wanted to stay there. Some villagers refused and turned them away. Then some villagers went after the Guru and asked them to come back. Then the Guru is said "those who came back will stay and the ones who didn't will go away from this pind". Don't know if this story is true, but its the one I was told.

So I was just wondering if anyone else knew how their family became Sikh.

So you are the one from those lucky familes who did benti :)

A friend of mine is a Punjabi Hindu Bahman and he traced his family record back many hundreds of years by contacting the family purohit in Benares who over generations, records names of the deceased whose ashes are brought for immersion in the Ganga.

Thats true veer, my dad got the names of our elders dating back 200 years based on those records from Kurukshetra.

So you are the one from those lucky familes who did benti :)

Seems that way. My family were definately blessed, never had any trouble.

I would really like to trace my family back. I'll be checking land records when I go next time.

Is there a way of finding out when a house was built? My old ancesteral home is still there, in the middle of the pind. So it must be really old. It's been there for at least 5-6 generations (as far as my dad can remember).

Most jamabandis will go back to the Britsh settlement period of the mid 19th century. Beyond that is hit and miss and there will often be gaps. Sub tenants will not have records as the main landowner would have everything in their name. The website provided by the Punjab Govt is good, but not up to date despite the date (viz mutations recently registered) at the bottom of the Jamabandi and only leads me back to my great grandfathers on either side. The original Britsh settlement record - probaby dated 1849 for most Doabis, will list several generations back in many cases and thereafter you will get the last one or two generations for continuity confirmation. The older records are written in farsi/ urdu script and despite being able to normally read this, it often appears as an illegible scrawl and so its best to enlist the help of a clerk at the Tehsil.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

• Topics

• yeh it's true, we shouldn't be lazy and need to learn jhatka shikaar. It doesn't help some of grew up in surrounding areas like Slough and Southall where everyone thought it was super bad for amrit dharis to eat meat, and they were following Sant babas and jathas, and instead the Singhs should have been normalising jhatka just like the recent world war soldiers did. We are trying to rectifiy this and khalsa should learn jhatka.  But I am just writing about bhog for those that are still learning rehit. As I explained, there are all these negative influences in the panth that talk against rehit, but this shouldn't deter us from taking khanda pahul, no matter what level of rehit we are!
    • How is it going to help? The link is of a Sikh hunter. Fine, but what good does that do the lazy Sikh who ate khulla maas in a restaurant? By the way, for the OP, yes, it's against rehit to eat khulla maas.
    • Yeah, Sikhs should do bhog of food they eat. But the point of bhog is to only do bhog of food which is fit to be presented to Maharaj. It's not maryada to do bhog of khulla maas and pretend it's OK to eat. It's not. Come on, bro, you should know better than to bring this Sakhi into it. Is this Sikh in the restaurant accompanied by Guru Gobind Singh ji? Is he fighting a dharam yudh? Or is he merely filling his belly with the nearest restaurant?  Please don't make a mockery of our puratan Singhs' sacrifices by comparing them to lazy Sikhs who eat khulla maas.
    • Seriously?? The Dhadi is trying to be cute. For those who didn't get it, he said: "Some say Maharaj killed bakras (goats). Some say he cut the heads of the Panj Piyaras. The truth is that they weren't goats. It was she-goats (ਬਕਰੀਆਂ). He jhatka'd she-goats. Not he-goats." Wow. This is possibly the stupidest thing I've ever heard in relation to Sikhi.
    • Instead of a 9 inch or larger kirpan, take a smaller kirpan and put it (without gatra) inside your smaller turban and tie the turban tightly. This keeps a kirpan on your person without interfering with the massage or alarming the masseuse. I'm not talking about a trinket but rather an actual small kirpan that fits in a sheath (you'll have to search to find one). As for ahem, "problems", you could get a male masseuse. I don't know where you are, but in most places there are professional masseuses who actually know what they are doing and can really relieve your muscle pains.

Important Information

Terms of Use