Taking Amrit And Keeping Kesh

Guest guptsingh

Guest gupt singh

WJKK WJKF

I am the OP of the thread, thanks all for their replies. I am doing ardas to guru ji everytime I go to gurdwara to have courage to talk to my parents. Thanks mal ji for the above reply, I do know guru ji is very forgiving. To quote Bhai Harinder singh from Nirvair jatha- "North, South, East, West- Our guru is the best!"

I would like to hear more peoples view on my issue, as it is a tough time as parents are still not agreeing.

Guru ang Sang

Guest gupt singh

WJKK WJKF

Today daas had courage to talk to my mom again... and it went very terribly. I am losing all hope, please help. I do realize no one can force me to get my hair cut, but my mom is going to freak out when I start wearing a parna...

I am going to gurdwara and doing ardaas to guru maharaj as much as possible.

Please help how can i convince her?

your parents, like most parents, probably prioritize academic and career achievement along with rishtay over all else. if you can show them examples of singhs who have excelled and show them that sikhi will not harm your education they may calm down a bit.

also, if you make a lot of changes all at once that may be too much for them. maybe introduce only one or two changes at a time after Amrit to ease them into it.

people have something invested in you remaining how you always were. when you change it upsets the status quo and the fight to keep their investment safe. maybe they want to remain asleep in maya and seeing a gursikh bothers them. maybe its something else. but i've noticed people try to hold others back from changing almost always for petty reasons. ask yourself what worldly benefit will they get if i don't change? then you can show them, in a really clear way, that they can still get SOME of these benefits from you. and just brush under the rug the fact that some of those ''benefits'' they will never get from you again.

Guest gupt singh

Hi there,

basically mother said she will not live with an amritdhari!!! :angry2: even if its her own son! :omg:

So its either I take amrit and I will have to move out, which i am really contemplating.

Is this a good option ? What should I do, I can't live without amrit, but I don't want to lose my mother either?

• 2 weeks later...

gupt singh, having a job gives a person great solace, b/c they know they can take care of themselves if they have to. it lets a person stand up for what is right b/c you no longer depend on the person who is promoting the wrong.

i would get a job and do lots of simran and sangat. this you you become stronger externally and internally. then just do it. don't ask her. sometimes parents just bluff to try to control their kids. and if you do lose her, the truth is she was never yours to begin with!!

• 1 month later...
Guest guptsingh

WJKK WJKF

I am the OP of this thread, and I just wanted to share with everyone who helped me here, that by guru's grace my parents said yes for me keeping my kesh!! Eventually I will take amrit too. Kesh was the big step though. I stayed strong and stood by my words, which helped. Doing ardaas also helped a lot, and as usual, my guru came through and gave me this blessing.

For anyone in this situation reading this thread in the future, I would recommend keep doing ardas and stay strong!

Guru Ang Sang