Gay Marriage Legalized In California- How Should Sikhs Feel About This?

I have no issue with them marrying each other but we have to look to the future. Homosexual lifestyles and relationship choices are now being presented to our children, in schools as acceptable and on equal terms as the sacred tradition of marriage between man and wife. This whole "acceptance" thing is fine but it does open up a can of worms. How long is going to be before we have "Sikh" same sex couples turning up to the Gurdwara and demanding to be married? Why are people not looking at the fact such relationships are not beneficial to a person i.e. the rate of HIV infection for gay men is many times than that of heterosexuals and in fact such same sex infections account for half of new cases, even though they are a minority. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-20526380

Now I may be sidetracking a little but I feel this is worth a mention. The fact is their relationship choice has taken them out of the biological process of producing children but yet they are allowed to arrange "business deals" to have kids i.e. a mother is paid to carry the foetus of a couple. They can also adopt and have IVF treatment. How healthy do you think it is for a child to be raised with two dads or two mums? Isn't this a mocking of the natural order WaheGuru has given us? Living in London it is more and more common to see such couples displaying their affections in the street, how do you explain this interaction to your children, nieces and nephews and grandchildren.

For the record I am totally against any discrimination against gay people and I do agree with their right to marry/be in a civil partnership etc. Many gay people I have met are very nice, warm and friendly and make great colleagues, work mates etc. Also NO WAY can homosexuality be compared to more vile acts such as robbery, rape and murder. This is after all consent between two adults and their personal business. But I don't believe Sikhs should embrace or jump behind the cause, especially in light of the things I have mentioned.

I have no issue with them marrying each other but we have to look to the future. Homosexual lifestyles and relationship choices are now being presented to our children, in schools as acceptable and on equal terms as the sacred tradition of marriage between man and wife. This whole "acceptance" thing is fine but it does open up a can of worms. How long is going to be before we have "Sikh" same sex couples turning up to the Gurdwara and demanding to be married? Why are people not looking at the fact such relationships are not beneficial to a person i.e. the rate of HIV infection for gay men is many times than that of heterosexuals and in fact such same sex infections account for half of new cases, even though they are a minority. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-20526380

Now I may be sidetracking a little but I feel this is worth a mention. The fact is their relationship choice has taken them out of the biological process of producing children but yet they are allowed to arrange "business deals" to have kids i.e. a mother is paid to carry the foetus of a couple. They can also adopt and have IVF treatment. How healthy do you think it is for a child to be raised with two dads or two mums? Isn't this a mocking of the natural order WaheGuru has given us? Living in London it is more and more common to see such couples displaying their affections in the street, how do you explain this interaction to your children, nieces and nephews and grandchildren.

For the record I am totally against any discrimination against gay people and I do agree with their right to marry/be in a civil partnership etc. Many gay people I have met are very nice, warm and friendly and make great colleagues, work mates etc. Also NO WAY can homosexuality be compared to more vile acts such as robbery, rape and murder. This is after all consent between two adults and their personal business. But I don't believe Sikhs should embrace or jump behind the cause, especially in light of the things I have mentioned.

A balanced and fair view of the situation, taking into account our duty as Sikhs, as well as living in a secular society where tolerance (even, and this may come as a shock to some people, tolerating things we don't agree with).

But that kid situation is weird isn't it? Best to sit them down and explain the situation with homosexuality without getting graphic. Then end that little talk by threateningly stroking your chappal with a mad look in your eyes; they'll get the message. :lol2:

You are not in the business of comparing homosexuality to other sins yet you group it with the most sinful of acts like murder, rape etc. My friend you are already comparing it to other sins.

It's very worrying if a person doesn't know what is worse out of two consenting adults doing this OR murder, rape, pedophilia + slavery :stupidme:

Sikhs are NOT affected by this and we shouldn't feel negative towards it, in fact we should welcome equal rights for all.

I'm pretty sure the situation in the US (although some states disallow it entirely) is the same as in the UK. Gay marriage is mostly politically correct nonsense. We ALREADY have Civil Partnerships/unions which give gay couples the same exact rights as a marriage. It's amazing that in the UK gay couples can get TWO forms of marriage whereas straight couples only get to choose the one... That's fairness right there... :p

That said we must not forget that gay people don't CHOOSE to be gay. They just developed to seek out same sex relationships, it's beyond their control. Fact is whether we like it or not there are gonna be gay Sikhs out there, even if they were born into macho Punjabi culture.

Does that mean Gurdwara's should allow Gay Marriages to take place in them?

HELLZ NO. Our values are CLEAR.

A Gurdwara shouldn't allow Anand Karaj for gay couples. A Gurdwara shouldn't allow Anand Karaj for anyone who ISN'T Sikh either. It's just that simple, and changing the rules (especially just for collecting money) is an insult to the values of Sikhism. It's a lie and an insult directed STRAIGHT at the Guru Granth Sahib.

You can't pick and choose what values you want to keep, religion isn't supposed to work that way. The values of Sikhism have ALWAYS been incredibly modern and ridiculously fair, they don't need to be altered.

If marrying someone of the same sex makes someone happy, then more power to them! Rules are still rules, and they were put in place so the Khalsa could prosper and make the world a better place. Sikhs who happen to be gay should understand and respect that, the religion CANNOT change just so you can have a pretty wedding.

Even though gay people are generally about as nice as you can get, the amount who actually WANT to get married isn't as big as you might think it is. It's well known gay people are among the most open when it comes to relationships.

I've said it from the start. These disgusting cults that aim to dilute Sikhi are the biggest threat to our community. These people are everywhere and what's most worrying is that they have firmly entrenched themselves in Western countries, where the Sikh expatriate community has been strong i.e. free from Indian influence. We need to start educating our community against such people and the masses.

This is an issue of the sanctity of marriage. Whether hetrosexual, homosexual or bi-sexual we have all come into this world through hetrosexual marriage. Therefore, to attack this sacred institution is hypocritical and wrong. We have no right to change the very definition of marriage, which is exactly what is being done here.

No-one is saying that Homosexuals should be persecuted or harrassed..........but they have no right to change the definition of marriage. Homosexuality is a perversity of the mind......instead of trying to legitimatize this disease, we need to help people cure it with Gurbani. If you have these type of dirty thoughts, seek help from the Guru to cure yourself.......don't be stubborn and cheeky and expect to have this blessed in a Gurdwara.

O Sikhs, we are facing so many problems because of the weakening of our family values and now we are even considering this nonsense !!! Are we even meeting the average fertility required for a culture to survive of 2 kids per family ???? THESE are the things we need to be talking about not bakwas that is going to take us backwards.

Well put Veer Ji. I couldn't agree more!

Bole So Nihal!

Sat Sri Akal!!

It's very worrying if a person doesn't know what is worse out of two consenting adults doing this OR murder, rape, pedophilia + slavery :stupidme:

You must have a problem with understanding simple English. For the N’th time all I am saying is that from a Sikh prospective homosexuality is an unacceptable sin like countless others such as rape, paedophilia and slavery. I have not gone as far as saying which is worse as I don't consider that my duty. It is enough knowing it is wrong to prevent it (or you would think so).