The Poison Called Dairy - We Put It In Our Body Everyday

Lactose intolerance may also be a cultural thing.

India is less intolerant than E. Asia and Africa but more than Europe.

This may be because of culture, and also due to fact that many had nomadic ancestors who did/still do drink milk.

You heard of lactose intolerance in Punjab where people drink milk straight from the cow?

I've even read a lot of papers saying raw milk is one of the best foods for you but when milked from a healthy cow.

edit - Are you also going to refuse dehi, roti (chappared with butter), kheer, paneer, etc.?

i agree with you singh

kids these days and there chochaleyas :)

remember old singhs were the ones who prefered milk

they used to drink a bucket of milk

now a days vegans say anything to keep people from consuming milk product.

Lassi peeo thand rakho, kadi globul warning :)

dodh kheer paneer te kheo fer ni milne :)

saag chete karata haha

I think we have to be very careful before milk is dismissed.

Firstly we must look at Gurbani and see what Guru Jee says. Now if we look at Ramkali Ki Vaar, both Bhai Satta Jee & Bhai Balwand Jee praise Mata Kivi Jee for her seva in the langar and make particular reference to how beautiful the 'kheer' in the langar was.

balava(n)dd kheevee naek jan jis bahuthee shhaao pathraalee || la(n)gar dhoulath va(n)ddeeai ras a(n)mrith kheer ghiaalee ||
Balwand says that Khivi, the Guru's wife, is a noble woman, who gives soothing, leafy shade to all. She distributes the bounty of the Guru's Langar; the kheer - the rice pudding and ghee, is like sweet ambrosia.

Ang 967

Bhagat Dhanna Jee, who is not wealthy ask Vaheguroo Jee for some essential for him to servive in life:

dhaal seedhhaa maago gheeo ||
Lentils, flour and ghee - these things, I beg of You.

Ang 695

I’ve particularly not quoted Gurbani which refers to or uses mother’s milk as a metaphor. But the quotes above clearly show praise or highlight the necessity for milk or ghee (both being dairy). So clearly our Sat Guru, Sri Granth Sahib Jee Maharaaj speaks of milk with praise.

If you go further, all Mahapursh's speak of the importance of drinking milk and the inner and external use of Ghee for Naam Abhiyaas. Mahapurshes such as Sant Attar Singh Mastuanwale and Sant Gurbachan Singh Bhinderanwale (to name a few). So dairy is and has always been considered an important part of a Gursikhs diet.

But your concerns regarding milk is not without merit...actually i believe you are correct in that the milk readily available today is bad for us...but not all milk is. The milk available today is for commercial use, to be produced on mass, to look beautiful and have a long shelf life. In order to ensure this, todays milk goes through two processes, Homogenisation and Pasteurisation.

Homogensied milk ensures the fat never separates from the milk and remains consistent throughout the milk in order to beautify the milk, this is very dangerouse as the fat molecules become so small that they can go into our blood stream when we drink it, leading to all sorts of illnesses (cancer, arthritis).

Pasteurisation kills off all healthy bacteria that are essential to help us digest milk. Pasteurisation of milk is at extremely high temperatures, much higher than we can achieve on a stove, this also has negative effect on the milk and on our health but not to the extent the homogenised milk does. I'm not an expert on milk so i recommend everyone to please study homogenisation of milk in particular. Ask your parents about buffalo milk in Punjab and how the fat always rises to the top...well that doesn't happen in ur milk from the supermarket does it?

We need to go back to drinking milk how it was supposed to be. The best form of milk to drink that is both organic & raw...straight from a cow to ur fridge. The fat will still separate but a quick whisk with a spoon makes it mix and it will still have all the healthy bacteria present.

Unhomogenised milk is available today in shops in UK but is quite card to get, the only one i've found is Duchy milk from Waitrose...but this too is pasteurised so it's a compromise i make. Most people argue it's the homogenisation process of milk that is most dangerous to the human body, more than pasteurisation.

I thought i’d share my thoughts on milk especially since we are vegetarians. But the most important thing regarding the debate of milk for me is, did our Guru Sahibs drink milk or use it? Well, milk was used in kheer and ghee was and still is used in parshaad from Sri Guru Nanak Dev Jee Mahraaj till today. So if Guru Sahib used milk, i think we should too, unless one is allergic or has lactose intolerance.

Roti meri kaath ki , lavan meri bhookh ... jehre khan ge chopriya ghane sahange dukh - bhai fareed ji

veerji thanks for the detailed answer but dairy was need of the hour when there weren't enough calories to go around ... in the modern world we dont need to steal breast milk of another species which was intended for its calf.

How come all the mahapurshas have Tond /goggar ( pot belly ) ? Guru nanak devji says - "Dhirg eheva jeeveiya jit khai vadaiya pet"

How would you like if in future an alien species invades earth and start to steal human mothers' milk to satiate its own taste buds ?

Humans have no need for any animal products ....period. Its just for 'chaska' ... jeebh da swaad .

Why do you think is there so much heart disease, diabetes , hypertension and myriad other chronic diseases among punjabis and other dairy consuming populations.

You might enjoy drinking blood, pus and hormone laden 'milk', it just disgusts me.

Finally take a look where your dairy comes from

Daya kare Jee kee , kich pun daan kare

Personally the more I advance in my spirituality , the more I feel for others pain - humans and animals alike.

Your free to do whatever that works for your diet as long as its not halal meat or an intoxicant.

I agree with the animal cruelity and perservitives and all, but sorry milk is milk

In the end is Sarbloh Bibek that will outshine everything else, ie get milk direct from an amrithdhari families cow.

Its hard to find that connection but self supporting sadh sangat has way too many bennifits too not attempt to establish a mini land of the khalsa in your community?

India is less intolerant than E. Asia and Africa but more than Europe.

I don't know about 'Indians' because as a Punjabi, my dna is very different to the average typical 'Indian', but when you talk about Europe you have to remember there is a world of difference between the Nordic Europe and southern Europe. For example, I don't know if you've ever been to Spain or other parts of southern Europe but one of the first things you'll notice is the extreme difficulty you'll experience trying to get hold of fresh milk. It just doesn't exist in the shops. The only milk available is long life UHT or evaporated milk. Thats because the vast majority of southern Europeans are lactose intolerant. As a Punjabi who is also lactose intolerant I put it down to the probable Greek genes in some of my anscestory.

Now, going back to the original post, I strongly feel that if the Gurus were alive today there would be an edict banning the consumption of milk. The dairy industry in Punjab was and indeed still is very natural and humane. The same cannot be said for the mass industrial dairy industry of the UK, Canada and America etc. The cow that gets killed and turned into a big mac is the lucky one. Its the one that has to give us our glass of milk that has to suffer unbelievable and extreme cruelty.