The Poison Called Dairy - We Put It In Our Body Everyday

The dairy industry in Punjab was and indeed still is very natural and humane. The same cannot be said for the mass industrial dairy industry of the UK, Canada and America etc. The cow that gets killed and turned into a big mac is the lucky one. Its the one that has to give us our glass of milk that has to suffer unbelievable and extreme cruelty.

Veerji Dairy industry in Punjab/India is anything but humane .....(yes the cows don't end up at slaugterhouses but they do suffer tremendously) ... they are given oxytocin shots (morning and evening) which is very detrimental to human as well as bovine health

All spent cows in west endup becoming hamburgers.

Veer questioner ji , IMHO occasionaly dairy is ok ....e.g dahi at gurdwara or chopri roti but it should not be part of our lifestyle.

Veerji Dairy industry in Punjab/India is anything but humane .....(yes the cows don't end up at slaugterhouses but they do suffer tremendously) ... they are given oxytocin shots (morning and evening) which is very detrimental to human as well as bovine health

All spent cows in west endup becoming hamburgers.

Veer questioner ji , IMHO occasionaly dairy is ok ....e.g dahi at gurdwara or chopri roti but it should not be part of our lifestyle.

Comparitively speaking the dairy industry in Punjab is extremely humane. On its own it is not humane but compared to the extreme cruelty of mass industrial daiiry production it is. For example. for that plastic bottle of milk to reach our Gurdwaras in the west the cow its dragged away from it's calf the moment it is born. Mother is seperated from baby and baby is seperated from mother. Both are pining for each other in pain. In this pain, straight away, it is strapped to machines to give us the milk that was meant for its baby...again and again and again and again. Its then given injections to give us more milk again and again and again and again. It is then fed animal products in order to produce even more milk...again and again and again and again. That milk that was produced in the body through the consumption of other animal feed is then bottled, sold in the shops, bought in the shops by Sikhs and given to the Gurdwara to be used in cha and keer etc. The cycle continues until that poor suffering cow can no longer continue. It is then that it's extreme suffering finally comes to an end when it is sent to the slaughterhouse to be turned into a burger.

It is usually at the end point...when either the bottle of milk reaches the Gurdwara or the meat reaches the Mosque...that we Sikhs start to pontificate to meat eaters about how cruel they are.

500 years ago Sri Guru Har Rai showed us Sikhs the way. We are supposed to follow in our Guru's example. He set up his famous bagh at Kiratpur. There, he gave sanctuary to all kinds of animals...showing us how sarbat da bhalla is caring and loving all living creatures and having their welfare interests to heart. God sees everything and I truly believe we are committing a great paap by allowing milk in our Gurdwaras in the west. I think 'questioner' summed it up best when he said this a few messages earlier :

I think Sikhs generally tend to ignore this issue. The extreme cruelty that animals have to face so that we can drink some milk now and again should not be ignored.

. Boosting calcium intake through dairy products has been proven to reverse osteoporosis (measured through DEXA scans). Where is the evidence for your claims?

Veerji did you read about protein induced hypercalciuria ?

Animal protiens acutally seep calcium out of bones and make our blood acidic.

US has the world's highest consumption of dairy and also world's highest rates of osteoporosis.

Animal protiens acutally seep calcium out of bones and make our blood acidic.

US has the world's highest consumption of dairy and also world's highest rates of osteoporosis.

I've found one paper that talks about "animal proteins" and hypercalciuria but then doesn't specify which animal proteins, nor can it determine the mechanism. Knowing which "animal protein" is important - there's a huge difference between the flesh of an animal and its milk.

With the second statement, that is correlation and not causation. There's a difference. Example: There's a negative correlation between fresh lemons and number of fatalities on US highways. As more fresh lemons are imported into america, there are fewer accidents on the American highways.

Better example: There's a strong positive correlation between the amount of ice-cream sold by street vendors and the amount of crime committed. If I thought in the same way you did, I would say that ice-creams cause crime! This is wrong. What you need to look at is the mechanism - in this case, crimes tend to be higher in the summer and guess what? Summer is when more ice-creams are sold.

You need proof beyond correlation. You need causation.

Beyond this, Karah Prasad is made with flour, sugar and ghee. Ghee comes from butter. Butter comes from milk. Milk comes from cows. So are you now saying we should stop karah prashad in Gurdwaras?

Good analytical approach veer wickedwarrior ji

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/433806

This is now mainstream medical knowledge , I just wrote USMLE and there was a question on the topic.

Turns out calcium in greens like spinach is much more absorbable for humans

Also plant protien takes much longer to absorb compared to animal due to fiber coating and other factors ....and anyways protien content is much lower in the former.

Karah parasad is just a custom , its not manadatory for a universal panth like Sikhi .... what about people living on poles .. if they adopt sikihi and do their deevan without karah parsad (since they dont have atta, ghee etc), will they be less gursikh than us ?

I don't know about 'Indians' because as a Punjabi, my dna is very different to the average typical 'Indian', but when you talk about Europe you have to remember there is a world of difference between the Nordic Europe and southern Europe. For example, I don't know if you've ever been to Spain or other parts of southern Europe but one of the first things you'll notice is the extreme difficulty you'll experience trying to get hold of fresh milk. It just doesn't exist in the shops. The only milk available is long life UHT or evaporated milk. Thats because the vast majority of southern Europeans are lactose intolerant. As a Punjabi who is also lactose intolerant I put it down to the probable Greek genes in some of my anscestory.

Now, going back to the original post, I strongly feel that if the Gurus were alive today there would be an edict banning the consumption of milk. The dairy industry in Punjab was and indeed still is very natural and humane. The same cannot be said for the mass industrial dairy industry of the UK, Canada and America etc. The cow that gets killed and turned into a big mac is the lucky one. Its the one that has to give us our glass of milk that has to suffer unbelievable and extreme cruelty.

Which Indians?

Rajput, Gujjar, Tarkhan, and Jatt are all same tribes.

And what is Nordic? Saxon (saka) and Jute (Jatt) took over Britain.

If it's 40-50% india etc. then it's likely that those people descended from nomadic central Asian tribes are less likely to be lactose intolerant, as they are traditional keepers of livestock. It also comes down to habit, and also homogenized/pasteurized milk is less readily digestible than regular.

As to the dairy issue, it's true solutions for it are not as practical in west as they are back home so I don't really have anything good to add to discussion.

Will say that if daas has to drink cruel milk to end cruelty in Punjab, daas will do it.

Which Indians?

Well....I'm not talking about apaches and comanches so obviously we're talking about the strange and foreign nation to the south of our Punjab. The nation that we Punjabis spent thousands of years being separate from until some British toff sitting in his London office decided he's draw a line on a map and lump us with them. Those are the 'Indians' I'm talking about. The Indians who for thousands of years have had a very different diet to us and so who's bodies are used to entirely different foodstuffs compared to us. Them Indians. Why ? Which Indians were you thinking of ?

And what is Nordic?

If you're not very well read the term 'nordic' might just mean scandanavia to you. But correctly, the term can be used to describe all the Germanic tribes of northern Europe. That includes countries like Britain, Germany, Holland etc etc. Thus, when noting how being lactose intolerant is so common in southern European countries such as Spain, where shops don't even sell fresh milk because it is so rare to drink it there, and how the complete opposite is true in northern European countries....the term 'nordic' is most apt.

Thanks legal singh , singhsoorma , questioner and others for showing interest in rejecting dairy

Another very compelling reason is cancer risk that is clearly increased in people consuming dairy because of presence of IGF

Here is an article from a site run by mainstream physicians -

source - http://www.pcrm.org/health/diets/vegdiets/health-concerns-about-dairy-products

Prostate and breast cancers have been linked to consumption of dairy products, presumably related to increases in a compound called insulin-like growth factor (IGF-I).15 IGF-I is found in cow’s milk and has been shown to occur in increased levels in the blood of individuals consuming dairy products on a regular basis.16,17 Other nutrients that increase IGF-I are also found in cow’s milk.

Case-control studies in diverse populations have shown a strong and consistent association between serum IGF-I concentrations and prostate cancer risk.18 One study showed that men who had the highest levels of IGF-I had an almost two-fold increased risk of prostate cancer, compared with those who had the lowest levels.19 Other findings show that prostate cancer risk was elevated with increased consumption of low-fat milk, suggesting that too much dairy calcium could be a potential threat to prostate health.18

Dairy products account for approximately 65 percent of estrogens consumed. Estrogens (and their metabolites) are a risk factor for breast, ovarian, and prostate cancers due, in part, to their ability to influence cell proliferation.20 A study suggesting that milk consumption may contribute to breast cancer risk reported that 15 different estrogen metabolites were found in various milk products. (There were no appreciable amounts of estrogen metabolites found in soymilk.)20 Cutting fatty foods is priority No. 1 when you endeavor to lower your risk for breast cancer, and, as noted above, dairy products are the No. 1 source of saturated fat in the diet.

Ovarian cancer may also be related to the consumption of dairy products. The milk sugar lactose is broken down in the body into another sugar, galactose. Research suggests that the dairy sugar galactose might be toxic to ovarian cells.21 In a study conducted in Sweden, consumption of lactose and dairy products was positively linked to ovarian cancer.22Additionally, a study conducted in Denmark—where the incidence of ovarian cancer is one of the highest in the world—found that women who consumed more than two servings of milk per day had nearly two times the risk of developing ovarian cancer than women who drank less than half a serving per day.23