Historical Sikh Population Records From 1800S (Tangent Topic: When Did Your Family Become Sikhs)

Most of the punjabi jatts became Sikh during Guru shaibians time. Most jatts in those times considered khataris as their teachers (see Robber Nobelman by Joyce pettigrew), so it was normal for them to be followers of Sikh Gurus. Baba Budha ji was one of the first Sikh, and he was a jatt. I don't disagree that some Jatts might have converted during Singh Sabha Movement, but that was probably due to the reason that many people in some villages were following some Hindu stuff as well as Sikhism, and it was much more advantageous to be Sikh during British times.

The British were very meticulous when it came to their census reports. They had good reasons too. Most of their army was recruited from so called martial castes belonging to Punjab and Rajputana. Their census not only recorded how numerous the members of each caste were, but even down to every single Gote/gotra, it's population and which religion it's members subscribe to. Even the modern Indian census is not this detailed nor this accurate.

Sorry Johnny but you're just over 100 years too late with the news. The British census makers already admitted at the end of the 1800's that they'd made mistakes with the '81 and '91 census by including lots of non-jatts groups in the heading of 'jatts'. By continuing to quote the findings of a seriously flawed census you're now flogging a dead horse. Give it up bruvs. It's over.

Do some detailed research into what kind of groups made up that figure of '50% of punjab's jatts were Hindu' in the 1881 census. You're in for a nasty shock. There are groups in there that you would never in a lifetime think of as having anything in common with jatts.....groups that are even to this day very hindu in character. Groups that as far removed from jatts as you can possibly get.

But like I said, it's over now. Even the British admitted the mistakes. It'd be silly for you to cling on to the findings even after the authors admitted their own flaws.

Isingh1699, putting your thoughts in giant red writing doesn't add any weight to your argument. The exuses seem to be going in all sorts of directions now. I don't know why but we've got people talking about muslim jatts alot even though there's no dispute or issue with them in this conversation. We've got people talking about the jatts of haryana and u.p even though there's no dispute or issue with them in this conversation. Its all getting a bit silly as well as confusing because of the different irrelevent viewpoints being expressed now.

The fact is we've got most people here drawing conclusions from clearly flawed cenus' from the end of the 1800's. Even the cenus takers themselves admit the flaws in them. These people are also totally ignoring the other factors I mentioned earlier.

On the other hand, we've got people from those areas and background who cannot find any trace whatsoever of anybody in their family being hindu as recently at the early 20th century. In fact, the only one that can is the one still desperately clinging on to the findings of the flawed cenus. But, if its true for him then it is true for him. Nobody can dispute that. But it is clearly very very unusual and rare. Talk to a hundred other jatt sikhs and I doubt you'll find more than two others with the same tale to tell about not being sikhs in the 1700's or earlier.

So, to answer the original posters question. As a dhaiwal jatt from doaba, the manjki tract to be exact, my own family history is crystal clear. That tract encompasses alot of viillages and it is those villages that a very large number of Sikhs in England, Canada, Italy, Australia and California are originally from. That tract was given as a jagir specifically to jatt sikh clans by the mughal emporer in the late 1700's to keep the piece with them as they were constantly at war with his forces. They were attacking the mughals in the name of Sikhism. The historical context then for alot of doaba villages in Jalandhar district to even exist lies totally in Sikhism as all of the jatt clans settled there oroginally came from both majha and malwa and actually came with the adavancement of Sikh misls.

isingh1699, can you please NOT use red color and use the regular unbold black? All you need to do is quote a portion of another poster's message and then post your own. You don't have to include your own post within the quotes.

Let me know if you don't know how to do it.