Sign in to follow this  
Singh97

Problem With Parents

WJKK WJKF

I'm 15 years old, I've grown up in a non-amritdhari family and my dad cuts his hair. I've kept my kesh my entire life and so has my younger brother. I've been doing kirtan and path for most of my life, my dad has no problems with that. But I wear a dhamalla/gol pagh and my parents don't like that. I don't want to wear the other type of "regular" pagh that he wants me to wear ...my dad tells me dhamlla's make people look uneducated. He also makes me use fixo for my beard, while I want to keep it open. Another problem that I'm facing is my masee (aunt)... wants me to trim my beard! And I've told her I don't want to and never will, but she keeps on annoying me about it. What can I do to get my aunt and my dad to just let me do what I want?

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

WJKK WJKF

• Like 4

i don't know why parents have a problem when their kids follow sikhi... they didn't have the guts to stand up for their religion atleast they shouldn't stop others from doing it...i am in the same trouble too...i haven't even yet took amrit and they are already making a big deal out of it...

well for u brother, all i can say is don't listen to them. u are doing a very good thing...good luck

• Like 2

It's kaljug, what else can we expect? The wise are called fools and the fools are called wise.

Keep doing what you are doing, stay strong in your faith and principles and don't compromise them for anyone. Who knows, maybe one day your family may be inspired by you to change their ways. You never know when Guru Ji will choose to bestow his grace on someone.

• Like 2

Keep your head up by doing more paath. Not only will this increase your jeevan and give you more strength, but Satguru will also take away the bad attitudes around you.

Satguru says don't pay attention to what others are saying. Acknowledge the person, but disregard what they are saying and keep your full faith on what Satguru is saying. If you engage in a discussion with your Massi, she will play many mind games as all Punjabis have been practicing their whole lives. So don't say a word and keep saying han ji, han ji, han ji. If she ask are you going to cut it now after all of her convincing be like Satguru will help in this matter.

In other words, you need to build the patience and humility to stand up to what you are facing. Sounds odd because many times we are told to fight for what we believe in. But in these type of situations Satguru tells us to be patient and be humble. It seems as you are facing an outer battle with your massi and dad as they are telling you to do something against Satguru, but really you are facing an inner battle within yourself. Becoming angry and upset with them shows that you are lacking to some degree patience and humility. Cool the inner heat of the body by doing more paath and what they say will not bother you. Satguru will do his kirpa on you

• Like 3

WaheguruJiKaKhalsa!!WaheguruJiKiFateh!!

there is no prblem in wear a type of pagh, its upto you

dont use fixo

tell ur massi to shave her head she isnt worthy of keeping her hair - kidding :)

dont be bothered - parents will be parents . let them do there stuff- nagg

let urself do ur stuff - sikhi :)

• Like 2

Neither your dad nor your massi will be present in dharam raj's court .Decision is in your hands .If you are determined no one can move you away specially that aunt....

• Like 2

Tell Them your gonna cut your hair/beard, start drinking,smoking, drug dealing, never gonna work, start stealing and taking drugs or do they want you to stay the same wear a dhamalla and keep you beard open, that should do it and make them think, as for your aunt take no notice of here she should worry about her own family (without being disrespectful), keep your faith and path strong, you are a son to be proud of !! :biggrin2:

• Like 4

I have plenty of relative in my own family who are like this, in my case it is usually always women relatives. If I tie gol dastar, they think it look uneducated, or an open beard doesn't look sophisticated enough. For such relatives I have seen doing parchar to them is the best reply. When they say something Manmat, in reply say something Gurmat and suggest they also follow Gurmat by covering their heads, take Amrit and do Paath if they want their jeevan to be saffal.

• Like 1

Tell Them your gonna cut your hair/beard, start drinking,smoking, drug dealing, never gonna work, start stealing and taking drugs or do they want you to stay the same wear a dhamalla and keep you beard open, that should do it and make them think, as for your aunt take no notice of here she should worry about her own family (without being disrespectful), keep your faith and path strong, you are a son to be proud of !! :biggrin2:

LOL I know for sure that it'll work with my dad... but my massi's whole goal looks like bringing me down in life

• Like 1

LOL I know for sure that it'll work with my dad... but my massi's whole goal looks like bringing me down in life

Ok easy, if your massi has kids tell her your gonna do all the things i said before and take one of her kids along with you (make them join in) that should fix her, lol

• Like 2