Ramadan

Guest dasguruka

Guest dasguruka

How would you guys feel if a Sikh wanted to observe Ramadan and keep the fasts? What's your point of view on it? Please don't leave any hate comments. Im just trying to get a sense of what Khalsa panth thinks about this.

WGKK WJKF

Guest dasguruka

First of all, Sikhi preaches against fasting as it has no spiritual significance.

Sikhi is a practical religion. Fasting in Ramadan signifies that they fast because there are so many people who can't afford food and they want to feel their suffering whereas in Sikhi we have concept of Seva where we help those poor and needy people so that they don't have to go through that suffering...

Anyways, I never get the point of fasting as they eat after sunset and before sunrise whereas those poor people don't have that privelage... Rest is up to you. Personally, I would suggest you to help feed some homeless and needy during this month than starving yourself

They give charity too. I heard for them its 40% instead of 10% as Sikhs do.

I think its not that they want to feel the suffering but rather its the "Dukh daru Sukh Rog bhaya" concept. Good suggestion though. Thank You

I think its not that they want to feel the suffering but rather its the "Dukh daru Sukh Rog bhaya" concept. Good suggestion though. Thank You

I was not talking about charity or dasvandh... I was talking about seva.. Physically helping needy people regardless of race, religion, cast or ethnicity...

Also I think it is very important to remain clean and not unpleasant with your odours... during ramadan I find muslims fall asleep after eating before sunrise or something must happen because they always have really bad morning breath during the month!

Also Muslims themselves tell me they put on weight during the month because they fast all day and when they break fast.. all hell breaks loose and they eat anything and everything! Fried food etc... So all this talk about feeling the suffering of the poor etc is nonsensical for the majority of Muslims who state this... I know plenty of people who don't eat anything all day and have a normal standard meal in the evening. However, no liquids is hard!!!

On a positive... I find muslims are extra nice to people during Ramadan... I was told this was because if they hurt anyones feelings during this month that sin stays with them etc... So during the month its actually nice to be around muslims (excluding the bad breath and moaning about fasting). Funny thing is it all lasts only a month! As soon as Eid hits you see drunken brawls in town and back to the same old holier then thou attitude with cars rolling up and down the street honking at anything in a skirt!

So dasguruka.. I would advise if you want to fast or practice the "Dukh daru Sukh Rog bhaya" concept do so beyond ramadan, practice it beyond a month!... do so without fasting as for most Muslims its an excuse to get fatter and gorge on food in the evening and then have a massive hedonistic party at the end to celebrate Eid...

40%?? Zakat the Muslim equivalent to our Daswand is only 2.5%. Our Daswand is a whole 10%.

Guest dasguruka

Also I think it is very important to remain clean and not unpleasant with your odours... during ramadan I find muslims fall asleep after eating before sunrise or something must happen because they always have really bad morning breath during the month!

Also Muslims themselves tell me they put on weight during the month because they fast all day and when they break fast.. all hell breaks loose and they eat anything and everything! Fried food etc... So all this talk about feeling the suffering of the poor etc is nonsensical for the majority of Muslims who state this... I know plenty of people who don't eat anything all day and have a normal standard meal in the evening. However, no liquids is hard!!!

On a positive... I find muslims are extra nice to people during Ramadan... I was told this was because if they hurt anyones feelings during this month that sin stays with them etc... So during the month its actually nice to be around muslims (excluding the bad breath and moaning about fasting). Funny thing is it all lasts only a month! As soon as Eid hits you see drunken brawls in town and back to the same old holier then thou attitude with cars rolling up and down the street honking at anything in a skirt!

So dasguruka.. I would advise if you want to fast or practice the "Dukh daru Sukh Rog bhaya" concept do so beyond ramadan, practice it beyond a month!... do so without fasting as for most Muslims its an excuse to get fatter and gorge on food in the evening and then have a massive hedonistic party at the end to celebrate Eid...

That was harsh!

I wasn't talking about all Muslims but rather the ones who actually follow the religion right way. Just like a proper Gursikh woukd follow his/own rehit. Who are we to decide how they live before or after Ramadan? Or have you actually lived with one and seen it with your own eyes? If they fast then they probably keep in touch with all the other things they're supposed to do. This post is already straying away from the topic