Ramadan

Guest dasguruka

Guest dasguruka

Imagine a Gursikh going from Punjab to Hazoor Sahib and not eating on the way only because they want to do their ishnaan/ Nitnem after reaching there and then finally eating.

I seriously cannot comprehend some of the replies especially where its viewed good to starve ones own self.

If anything I tend to thank Waheguru more during that one day where I barely get anything to eat because I have no time etc.

Anyways thank for the inputs!

Imagine a Gursikh going from Punjab to Hazoor Sahib and not eating on the way only because they want to do their ishnaan/ Nitnem after reaching there and then finally eating.

I seriously cannot comprehend some of the replies especially where its viewed good to starve ones own self.

If anything I tend to thank Waheguru more during that one day where I barely get anything to eat because I have no time etc.

Anyways thank for the inputs!

A Sikh is suppose to eat after doing Ishnan and morning nitnem, It's called following Rehit. That's not the same as doing the ritualistic Ramadan fast of Muslims or the fasts that Hindus do.

ਤੀਰਥ ਵਰਤ ਸੁਚਿ ਸੰਜਮੁ ਨਾਹੀ ਕਰਮੁ ਧਰਮੁ ਨਹੀ ਪੂਜਾ ॥

Pilgrimages, fasts, purification and self-discipline are of no use, nor are rituals, religious ceremonies or empty worship.

ਨਾਨਕ ਭਾਇ ਭਗਤਿ ਨਿਸਤਾਰਾ ਦੁਬਿਧਾ ਵਿਆਪੈ ਦੂਜਾ ॥੨॥

O Nanak, emancipation comes only by loving devotional worship; through duality, people are engrossed in duality. ||2||

ਤੀਰਥ ਵਰਤ ਸੁਚਿ ਸੰਜਮੁ ਨਾਹੀ ਕਰਮੁ ਧਰਮੁ ਨਹੀ ਪੂਜਾ ॥

Pilgrimages, fasts, purification and self-discipline are of no use, nor are rituals, religious ceremonies or empty worship.

ਨਾਨਕ ਭਾਇ ਭਗਤਿ ਨਿਸਤਾਰਾ ਦੁਬਿਧਾ ਵਿਆਪੈ ਦੂਜਾ ॥੨॥

O Nanak, emancipation comes only by loving devotional worship; through duality, people are engrossed in duality. ||2||

END OF

A Sikh is suppose to eat after doing Ishnan and morning nitnem, It's called following Rehit. That's not the same as doing the ritualistic Ramadan fast of Muslims or the fasts that Hindus do.

That principle is well understood, nothing wrong with the principle itself but what can turned that principle into dogma is if person having thoughts while doing ishnan and or during morning nitneem about food because of hunger or whats being cooked while reciting gurbani..again nothing wrong with principle itself - its the people who can turn the principles into dogma not principles itself turning into dogma- i think thats a key difference here and thats where missionaries are dead wrong as they have knee j erk reaction and reject the rituals/principles all together rather than discussing dogmatic mindset of individual than rituals/principles itself.

In my opinion, If one is hungry while they do nitneem in the morning/evening there are two things one can do depending on individual case for the sake of/upholding the concentration during nitneem - a) totally ignore the thought of hunger, concentrate on whats being read..one will notice by ignoring the thoughts and after a minute or so thought of being hungry will disappear itself or b) depending on person state of mind, if hunger is too point, one cannot concentrate on nitneem there is no hurt of taking a bite or two (Gurparsad bhram na nash- Guru Maharaj know our intentions and maharaj sitting inside all of us certainly not a christian version of wrathful vahiguroo) go back upstairs continue with nitneem..its simple. Sikhi in essence is above any bhrams.

That principle is well understood, nothing wrong with the principle itself but what can turned that principle into dogma is if person having thoughts while doing ishnan and or during morning nitneem about food because of hunger or whats being cooked while reciting gurbani..again nothing wrong with principle itself - its the people who can turn the principles into dogma not principles itself turning into dogma- i think thats a key difference here and thats where missionaries are dead wrong as they have knee j erk reaction and reject the rituals/principles all together rather than discussing dogmatic mindset of individual than rituals/principles itself.

In my opinion, If one is hungry while they do nitneem in the morning there are two things one can do depending on individual case for the sake of/upholding the concentration during nitneem - a) totally ignore the thought of hunger, concentrate on whats being read..one will notice by ignoring the thoughts and after a minute or so thought of being hungry will disappear itself or b) depending on person state of mind, if hunger is too point, one cannot concentrate on nitneem there is no hurt of taking a bite or two (Gurparsad bhram na nash- Guru Maharaj know our intentions and maharaj sitting inside all of us certainly not a christian version of wrathful vahiguroo) go back upstairs continue with nitneem..its simple. Sikhi in essence is above any bhrams.

A Rehitvaan Singh will not do this, because he will remember at that time the puraatan Singhs who could have had all the comforts of life but didn't, because following Guru's rehit was more important for them than worldly comforts, so a rehitvaan Singh will not mind waiting for a mere 25 minutes until his morning nitnem is over and he can eat all he wants. How many times have we as youngsters been in class and wanting to eat food but weren't allowed to eat or drink by the teacher until the class is over? yet that didn't stop us from focusing on our studies, similarly during meditation and doing Paath our mind will try to distract our attention in all directions whether it is outside noise or the thought of some tasty food. One who controls their mind at that moment of weakness will further improve his abhyaas and get Chardikala while those who cannot wait for a few minutes longer their spiritual progress will remain in Khardikala(stand still).

Guru Maharaj rehit is overall controlling the senses and in this case regarding food- we are told to eat to live not to live to eat..if one is hungry and its bothering the thoughts mentally and affecting physically, he/she should have a bite and continue with nitneem.. your suggestion eating all its want after the nitneem that itself is violation of rehat and gurbani updesh to avoid becoming dogmatic- eating for pleasure, eat all it wants after certain ritual- living for eating not eating to live.

so o a rehitvaan Singh will not mind waiting for a mere 25 minutes until his morning nitnem is over and he can eat all he wants.

I failed to understand hows that different from muslim pigging out after ramadan? what underpins both sikh -eating all he wants after nitneem and muslim feast after ramadan is dogmatic mindset of an individual/suppressed compulsion of an individual. Muslim feast after ramadan might be written in their thing but sikh eating all he wants after nitneem is no where written anywhere so we have no excuse for that..We have gurbani updesh - don't beleive in fast- eat to live, eat simple food and eat in moderation.