Ramadan

Guest dasguruka

Guest dasguruka

Okay the way I was looking at Ramadan ( I didn't have a way to put it out before) could be understood by the post below. I didn't know that others would just start bombarding about it as a ritual or why would you want to starve yourself. I didn't mean at as starving yourself but rather a form to spiritually prosper. I think thats the point of Ramadan, but as I see almost everyone is looking at it as a way to suffer which I don't believe in. Ofcourse, one needs to eat and be content.

But the part I do understand why people think it is just a ritual is what happens after when its time to break the day and eat. The jumping on food part. I think thats why everyone is saying its just a ritual but I didn't look at it that way.

One who controls their mind at that moment of weakness will further improve his abhyaas and get Chardikala while those who cannot wait for a few minutes longer their spiritual progress will remain in Khardikala(stand still).

Guest dasguruka

Isnt the op an amritdhari?Why would an amritdhari want to partake in a muslim festival?

Khalsa Ji, I didn't say I was actually going to do it. I said I just wanted to know what people thought about it.

I didn't know people would actually remember who's Amritdhari and who's not on this forum

Guru Maharaj rehit is overall controlling the senses and in this case regarding food- we are told to eat to live not to live to eat..if one is hungry and its bothering the thoughts mentally and physically, he/she should have a bite and continue with nitneem.. your suggestion eating all its want after the nitneem that itself is violation of rehat and gurbani updesh to avoid becoming dogmatic- eating for pleasure, eat all it wants after certain ritual- living for eating not eating to live.

I failed to understand hows that different from muslim pigging out after ramadan? what underpins both sikh -eating all he wants after nitneem and muslim feast after ramadan is dogmatic mindset of an individual/suppressed compulsion of an individual. Muslim feast after ramadan might be written in their thing but sikh eating all he wants after nitneem is no where written anywhere so we have no excuse for that..We have gurbani updesh - don't beleive in fast- eating to live and eat in moderation.

It's rehit veerji. When I took Amrit, the Panj Pyare told me that I must do Ishaan and Panj Bania at Amritvela before eating. And not many people feel hungry at Amritvela anyway, I don't understand how is a Singh who wakes up at Amritvela and eating after his Nitnem the same as the ritualistic fast of Muslims of Hindus which they do on certain months and days of the year. It is like comparing apples and oranges.

When one meditates, it is mind over matter. The mind will play all sorts of tricks on you in order for you to lose focus like having thoughts of the previous day, even thoughts of money, kaam, food will flood into the mind. But a trained mind will not give into this animalistic urges at that moment and just continue absorbed in his meditation or Paath. Once you give in to those urges, the mind will continue to push those urges. But if one trains his mind to resist them, the urges will also decrease over time.

Okay the way I was looking at Ramadan ( I didn't have a way to put it out before) could be understood by the post below. I didn't know that others would just start bombarding about it as a ritual or why would you want to starve yourself. I didn't mean at as starving yourself but rather a form to spiritually prosper. I think thats the point of Ramadan, but as I see almost everyone is looking at it as a way to suffer which I don't believe in. Ofcourse, one needs to eat and be content.

But the part I do understand why people think it is just a ritual is what happens after when its time to break the day and eat. The jumping on food part. I think thats why everyone is saying its just a ritual but I didn't look at it that way.

Wait, lets be clear here, waking up at Amritvela to do Ishnan and Nitnem then eating is not the same at the ritual fasting of the Muslims and Hindus. I don't understand how one can compare the two. Just follow Sikhi and you will get Chardikala. A Sikh who does spiritual flirting with other religions is like the woman who despite being married does flirting with other men. Such a person is not Ghar ka na Ghaat ka.

Khalsa Ji, I didn't say I was actually going to do it. I said I just wanted to know what people thought about it.

I didn't know people would actually remember who's Amritdhari and who's not on this forum

Nobody forgets anything around here.

Well I am not just talking about amrit vela..evening rehras as well. Mind always tricks, off course apparently mind plays even more trick specially after nitneem when people pig out , have tasty food in all sort of fashions but point remains on premises of hunger/body need (body need fuel/ food to function) one should use their own discretion whether to eat a bite or wait and besides I always thought nitneem is 24/7- nit neem - nit means every day/moment neem (his name) thats why sas gras simran/ajapa jap gurbani updesh is mentioned quite a bit. I didn't realize people confine nitneem in being one in morning, other in evening and before sleep.

Well I am not just talking about amrit vela..evening rehras as well. Mind always tricks, off course apparently mind plays even more trick specially after nitneem when people pig out , have tasty food in all sort of fashions but point remains on premises of hunger/body need (food need fuel) one should use their own discretion whether to eat a bite or wait and besides I always thought nitneem is 24/7- nit neem - nit means every moment neem (every moment) thats why sas gras simran/ajapa jap gurbani updesh. I didn't realize people confine nitneem in being one in morning, other in evening and before sleep.

No, this way of thinking is not right. We have a rehit which we follow. Veerji, you need to read up on what Rehit is. I suggest you get Pesh at Mehta next time you are in India, the Panj Pyare will explain Rehit to you. As per Rehit, we are suppose to do Panj Banis at Amritvela Nitnem, Rehiras Sahib around sunset and Kirtan Sohila before sleeping, this is rehit which all Amritdhari Sikhs (are suppose to) follow. In between Gursikhs do many Banis and Abhyas through out the day in order to increase their Kammaee. Rehit is a spiritual discipline that is designed to help our spiritual jeevan.

I dont mind getting pesh hundred thousands times bro but not for regular nitneem as i do regular nitneem everyday but i will get pesh hundred thousands times to panj for having thoughts in my mind even for split second other than vahiguroo. I have calculated in one typical day- i get 500 thoughts which are other than vahiguroo, so i will times that by 1 month and 1 month to years etc and thats time i will get pesh infront of panj may be it will take 30 years for that to finish that, may be another life time but thats my way of getting reality check slaps and improving the thoughts...lets do that together singh ji and anybody who is candid about themselves, it be nice nale sangat ho jo during the journey to panj?

Guest dasguruka

Wait, lets be clear here, waking up at Amritvela to do Ishnan and Nitnem then eating is not the same at the ritual fasting of the Muslims and Hindus. I don't understand how one can compare the two. Just follow Sikhi and you will get Chardikala. A Sikh who does spiritual flirting with other religions is like the woman who despite being married does flirting with other men. Such a person is not Ghar ka na Ghaat ka.

I didn't say it was a ritual? I compared the two because Rehit is there to keep ourselves in check so 24/7 we're attuned to WaheGuru. Spiritual flirting? That's a new concept. So tell me exactly what spiritual flirting is? There is only One Spirit. They have their own ways to practice and we have our own. I didn't say that either one is a ritual. I never understand why discussions turn into something like "not Ghar a na Ghaat a".

but Giani Gian Singh Ji does have an explanation.

According to him, "Jaat Paat Singhan di danga..

Danga hi in Guru Te manga..

Pache na Ann tiye din danga..

Je Aur nahi, taan Aapne Singha"

ਦੋਹਰਾ

Dohira

ਨੰਦ ਲਾਲ ਤੁਮ ਬਚਨ ਸੁਣਹੁ ਸਿਖ ਕਰਮ ਹੈ ਏੇਹਿ

Nand Lal, listen to this speech, the Sikh conduct is this,

ਨਾਮੁ ਦਾਨੁ ਇਸਨਾਨ ਬਿਨ ਕਰੇ ਨਾ ਅੰਨ ਸਿਉੁਂ ਨਹੁ ॥ (੨)

Without the celestial name, charity and bathing, a Sikh should not savour food.

This is from tankanahama.