Anand Karaj...is This Acceptable?

dholki

and so goes the circle of empathy ^^ if no one says anything because its always going to be someones family friend then it will always happen!

glad to know that respect for the anand karaj goes as far as thinking about telling someone what they are doing is wrong!

and so goes the circle of empathy ^^ if no one says anything because its always going to be someones family friend then it will always happen!

glad to know that respect for the anand karaj goes as far as thinking about telling someone what they are doing is wron

If you put yourself in my shoes, imagine no one ever talking to you and your family again because you ruined their wedding. They family have done a lot for us, they are really good people, even if they are Hindu

I will talk to the committee the next time I visit that gudwara, it was the Havelock Road In Southall by the way. I was a bit surprised that it was taking place to be honest. And the Giani who was conducting the ceremony did it English.

Additionally, I find it odd how when its a Sikh girl and non Sikh boy, everyone makes a big fuss. But when its the other way round no one batter's an eyelid.

I've spoken to a UK Gurdwara about this (although it was a couple of years ago). The registry part is conducted in the Gurdwara only via an agreement/contract with the local council. This stipulates where and when during the marriage day the registry vows and certificate signatures are done.

Having said that, although ive seen the vows and the signatures take place in front of the Guru Sahib many time after the anand karaj, I've never seen/heard about rings being exchanged in front of the Guru sahib.

I've spoken to a UK Gurdwara about this (although it was a couple of years ago). The registry part is conducted in the Gurdwara only via an agreement/contract with the local council. This stipulates where and when during the marriage day the registry vows and certificate signatures are done

Thats exactly my point. The Law is strict and clear on this issue. Licences can only be issued to places of worship (non Anglican, Jewish or Quaker) to conduct Civil Marriages if they can show that the room the civil marriage will take place in is clearly seperate and distinct from the actual religious premises. i.e. it MUST be a seperate room from the actual main hall.

There are no exceptions.

Trust me, if either the bride or groom from this marriage or any other bride or groom married under similar circumstances wishes to divorce and have their day in court they could easily have their 'marriage' declared a 'non-marriage' that never took place in the first place. Personally, I see it as a good opportunity for someone to sue those money-loving Indian agents that control the Southall gurdwara and hit them where it hurts.

I remember listing to katha once i think it was giani pinderpal jee. He said that the most beadbi occurs during sikh weddings.

From start to finish you see normally respectful sikh families abandon their sikh principles to pursue hindu/punjabi culture.

You see men and women in darbar hall talking or back slapping congratulations to one another....

A family wanted to perform a chunii ceromony on girl in darbar hall recently.

But ive never seen rings or vowes exchanged in darbar hall before.

I now hate attending any family weddings...

I remember listing to katha once i think it was giani pinderpal jee. He said that the most beadbi occurs during sikh weddings.

From start to finish you see normally respectful sikh families abandon their sikh principles to pursue hindu/punjabi culture.

You see men and women in darbar hall talking or back slapping congratulations to one another....

A family wanted to perform a chunii ceromony on girl in darbar hall recently.

But ive never seen rings or vowes exchanged in darbar hall before.

I now hate attending any family weddings...

Personally I think the registration of civil marriages in Gurdwaras shouldnt happen, especially in the darshan of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Maharaj...I see it as beadbi. The Civil marruiage, cerificate signing etc..is a legal matter,..it has no signficance or place at a Spiritual event such as an Anand Karaj which should be the only focus of the day.

Civil mariages should be done the day befoere or week before the Anand Karaj ceromony is scheduled, it doesnt even need to be an event the bride and groom plus a cpuple of witnesses can go to the registration ofice and get the civil marriage done.

To be fair I agree with the above comment, Anad Karaj's unfortunately are full of beadbi these days, very rarely do you see a "proper" Sikh couple having an Anand Karaj...You generally have people who label themselves Sikhs...but actually do not follow any rehit, and have no intention of walking the Sikhi path..the Anand Karaj is just a formality for them..they dont understand the meaning of the Laavan or the significance of the spiritual contract they have just agreed to in Maharajs presence..

Within 2 hours of the ceremony the groom will have discarded his dastaar in some corner somewhere,, will have had a clean shave and will be downing Whiskey shots...