Which Shabad Has Affected Your Life The Most?

Singh97

WJKK WJKF

Reading and understanding gurbani changes how we see the world. We learn so much every day just by understanding it. Ever since I started reading it my life has positively changed so much. So that's why I'm wondering what shabad do you think has changed your life the most and which shabad have you personally learnt the most from?

Nanak Naam Jahaaz Hai
O

Nanak, the name of the Lord is like a ship

ChadeSo Uttray Paar

Whoever Boards It Crosses Over (The Life-Ocean).

Jo Shardha Kare Sevde

Those Who Meditate On Him with Faith and devotion,

Gur Paar, Utaaran Haar

The Guru Helps Them In crossing over."

Sukhmani Sahib........ vah vah vah.......

I was reading the bhagavad gita when I was 12 years old, desperate for some kind of spirituality and it started to help me .... i was about 3 quarters of the way through

when I came across an english translation of Sukhmani sahib that I had lying around for ages.

it blew me away ! - 20 years later I still haven't finished reading the gita as I never felt the need to go back to it.

sireeraag mehlaa 5.

Siree Raag, Fifth Mehl:

jaa ka-o muskal at banai dho-ee ko-ay na day-ay.

When you are confronted with terrible hardships, and no one offers you any support,

laagoo ho-ay dusmanaa saak bhe bhaj khalay.

when your friends turn into enemies, and even your relatives have deserted you,

sabho bhajai aasraa chukai sabh asraa-o.

and when all support has given way, and all hope has been lost

chit aavai os paarbarahm lagai na tatee vaa-o. ||1||

-if you then come to remember the Supreme Lord God, even the hot wind shall not touch you. ||1||

saahib nitaani-aa kaa taan.

Our Lord and Master is the Power of the powerless.

aa-ay na jaa-ee thir sadaa gur sabdee sach jaan. ||1|| rahaa-o.

He does not come or go; He is Eternal and Permanent. Through the Word of the Guru's Shabad, He is known as True. ||1||Pause||

jay ko hovai dublaa nang bhukh kee peer.

If you are weakened by the pains of hunger and poverty,

damrhaa palai naa pavai naa ko dayvai Dheer.

with no money in your pockets, and no one will give you any comfort,

su-aarath su-aa-o na ko karay naa kichh hovai kaaj.

and no one will satisfy your hopes and desires, and none of your works is accomplished

chit aavai os paarbarahm taa nihchal hovai raaj. ||2||

-if you then come to remember the Supreme Lord God, you shall obtain the eternal kingdom. ||2||

jaa ka-o chintaa bahut bahut dayhee vi-aapai rog.

When you are plagued by great and excessive anxiety, and diseases of the body;

garisat kutamb palayti-aa kaday harakh kaday sog.

when you are wrapped up in the attachments of household and family, sometimes feeling joy, and then other times sorrow;

ga-on karay chahu kunt kaa gharhee na baisan so-ay.

when you are wandering around in all four directions, and you cannot sit or sleep even for a moment

chit aavai os paarbarahm tan man seetal ho-ay. ||3||

-if you come to remember the Supreme Lord God, then your body and mind shall be cooled and soothed. ||3||

kaam karoDh mohi vas kee-aa kirpan lobh pi-aar.

When you are under the power of sexual desire, anger and worldly attachment, or a greedy miser in love with your wealth;

chaaray kilvikh un agh kee-ay ho- aa asur sanghaar.

if you have committed the four great sins and other mistakes; even if you are a murderous fiend

pothee geet kavit kichh kaday na karan Dhari-aa.

who has never taken the time to listen to sacred books, hymns and poetry

chit aavai os paarbarahm taa nimakh simrat tari-aa. ||4||

-if you then come to remember the Supreme Lord God, and contemplate Him, even for a moment, you shall be saved.

||4||

saasat simrit bayd chaar mukhaagar bichray.

People may recite by heart the Shaastras, the Simritees and the four Vedas;

tapay tapeesar jogee-aa tirath gavan karay.

they may be ascetics, great, self-disciplined Yogis; they may visit sacred shrines of pilgrimage

khat karmaa tay dugunai poojaa kartaa naa-ay.

and perform the six ceremonial rituals, over and over again, performing worship services and ritual bathings.

rang na lagee paarbarahm taa sarpar narkay jaa-ay. ||5||

Even so, if they have not embraced love for the Supreme

Lord God, then they shall surely go to hell. ||5||

raaj milak sikdaaree-aa ras bhogan bisthaar.

You may possess empires, vast estates, authority over others, and the enjoyment of myriads of pleasures;

baag suhaavay sohnay chalai hukam afaar.

you may have delightful and beautiful gardens, and issue unquestioned commands;

rang tamaasay baho biDhee chaa- ay lag rahi-aa.

you may have enjoyments and entertainments of all sorts and kinds, and continue to enjoy exciting pleasures

bahut Dhanaadh achaarvant sobhaa nirmal reet.

You may possess vast riches, maintain virtuous conduct, have a spotless reputation and observe religious customs;

maat pitaa sut bhaa-ee-aa saajan sang pareet.

you may have the loving affections of mother, father, children, siblings and friends;

laskar tarkasband band jee-o jee-o saglee keet.

you may have armies well-equipped with weapons, and all may salute you with respect;

chit na aa-i-o paarbarahm taa kharh rasaatal deet. ||7||

But still, if you do not come to remember the Supreme Lord God, then you shall be taken and consigned to the most hideous hell! ||7||

kaa-i-aa rog na chhidar kichh naa kichh kaarhaa sog.

You may have a body free of disease and deformity, and have no worries or grief at all;

mirat na aavee chit tis ahinis bhogai bhog.

you may be unmindful of death, and night and day revel in pleasures;

sabh kichh keeton aapnaa jee-ay na sank Dhari-aa.

you may take everything as your own, and have no fear in your mind at all;

chit na aa-i-o paarbarahm jamkankar vas pari-aa. ||8||

but still, if you do not come to remember the Supreme Lord God, you shall fall under the power of the Messenger of Death. ||8||

kirpaa karay jis paarbarahm hovai saaDhoo sang.

The Supreme Lord showers His Mercy, and we find the

Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy.

ji-o ji-o oh vaDhaa-ee-ai ti-o ti-o har si-o rang.

The more time we spend there, the more we come to love the Lord.

duhaa siri-aa kaa khasam aap avar na doojaa thaa-o.

The Lord is the Master of both worlds; there is no other place of rest.

satgur tuthai paa-i-aa naanak sachaa naa-o. ||9||1||26||

When the True Guru is pleased and satisfied, O Nanak, the

True Name is obtained. ||9||1||26||