Indian Police Investigate London Man's Murder (June 2013)

Premi5

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-22795703

Old news, but still...

Kulwant Singh Grewal: Indian police investigate London man's murder

By Poonam TanejaBBC Asian Network

Indian police are investigating the murder of a London grandfather in Punjab.

The body of Kulwant Singh Grewal, 76, from Southall, west London, was found in a village near the city of Ludhiana, northern India, on 30 May.

Mr Grewal had gone to India to settle a property dispute in the Punjab courts and he was last seen alive on 16 May.

His family in the UK became concerned after he missed a court appearance and alerted police.

'We want justice'

Mr Grewal's son Iqbal Grewal, who lives in Berkshire, said: "My mother phoned me on my mobile and said to me, 'They've just found his body'.

"I just cried to myself."

His family said the grandfather-of-two was stabbed to death.

Mr Grewal's wife Mukhtiar Grewal has travelled to India to search for answers.

"Why would anyone want to attack a 76-year-old man?" said Mr Grewal

"We now want justice.

"That's the only thing that will make me feel whole again.

"They've taken a part of me away, whoever has done this - if they can serve life in prison for this, at least I'll get some closure."

The Indian police have confirmed a murder investigation has been launched but have given no further details. No arrests have been made.

Kulwant Singh Grewal, a commercial landlord, emigrated to the UK from Singapore in 1959.

Although he had lived and worked in London since then, he was not a British citizen but held a Singapore passport.

However, his son believes the British authorities should help.

"He should be treated as a British citizen.

"He has worked here and paid taxes, the British government should be helping."

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office said it could not help as Mr Grewal was not a British national.

But it said it had given the family a list of approved lawyers that could take up its case.

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2013/20130606/ldh1.htm

Blind murder of NRI cracked
His millionaire brother owning a mega pizza chain in United Kingdom booked
Mohit Khanna
Tribune News Service

Ludhiana, June 5
The city police today claimed to have cracked the blind murder of a 75-year-old NRI, Kulwant Singh Grewal, with the arrest of his 62-year-old millionaire younger brother Jaswant Singh Grewal in this connection today.

Kulwant's mutilated body was found in a house located at Mehma Singh Wala village, near here, on May 30.

It was a well-planned murder. After perpetrating the crime, the accused left the village and had stayed in Malaysia for nearly four weeks.

The investigating officer said it was an alibi by Jawant Singh to make the police believe that he was somewhere else when the incident took place.

According to the police, an old dispute between the two brothers led to Kulwant's murder. After migrating from Singapore, the Grewal family had settled in the United Kingdom.

Jaswant Singh, his brother Charanjit Singh and the victim Kulwant Singh had a flourishing businesses in the UK.

Jaswant's family owns a mega pizza chain in the UK. Insiders said Kulwant and Jaswant had been at loggerheads for the past 20 years.

Earlier, they used to indulge in character assassination of each other's wives. They had become a laughing stock among their relatives in the UK and in the village.

For the past four years, they had been fighting a legal battle over a piece of ancestral land.

Kulwant had returned from the UK and started living in the house at Mehma Singh Wala village.

Jaswant was fed up with repeated visits to India to attend hearing in the case.

Jaswant claimed that the house was built by him and his brother Charanjit Singh. And Kulwant Singh, who had taken his share from the ancestral property long ago, and taken illegal possession of the piece of land.

Owing to litigation, Kulwant had to spend some days in jail. After coming out of the jail, Kulwant had threatened Jaswant that he would send the latter and his wife to jail as well.

On May 16 afternoon, Jaswant entered Kulwant's room and allegedly killed him with a sharp weapon. He dumped the weapon in the canal.

On May 22, he flew to Malaysia thinking that when the villagers would come to know about the body, he would be abroad, thus no one would suspect his involvement in the murder.

The villagers came to know about the body after 14 days, i.e. on May 30.

Gurpreet Singh Sikand, ACP, Gill, said: "He cracked soon and confessed to killing his elder brother. Jaswant Singh has been arrested and efforts are on to locate the weapon used in the crime. Jaswant has allegedly confessed before the police that he had thrown the weapon into the Sidhwan Canal from Jassowal Bridge. Special divers have been deployed to locate the weapon."

Arresting Jaswant was not an easy task as he is a UK citizen and enjoys a considerable political clout, the official said.

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2013/20130611/ldh1.htm

Wife's role under scanner
Mohit Khanna
Tribune News Service

Ludhiana, June 10
In the Kulwant Singh murder case, the role of his wife Mukhtiar Kaur has come under the scanner after she appeared as a witness in the case.

Kulwant Singh (75), an NRI, was allegedly killed by his younger brother Jaswant Singh (62) on May 16 at a house in Mehma Singh Wala village near Dehlon. Jaswant was recently arrested in this connection.

Mukhtiar Kaur had told the police that her husband Kulwant Singh was apprehending a danger to his life from his brother Jaswant Singh, also an NRI, who owns a mega pizza chain in the UK.

According to Satinder Singh, SHO of the Dehlon police station, Mukhtiar Kaur had reportedly told the police that she received a call from Kulwant a few days before the murder during which he had mentioned about a threat to his life from Jaswant.

However, investigations revealed that Mukhtiar and Kulwant had strained relations and were living separately, a fact highlighted by the accused, Jaswant Singh, during the investigations.

Investigating officer Swarn Singh said, "Jaswant told us that Kulwant and Mulhtiar Kaur were living separately and recently divorced each other. However, no evidence was found that the couple had divorced."

Jaswant's two sons attended Kulwant Singh's bhog ceremony at a gurdwara in Mehma Singh Wala village yesterday. This had raised many an eyebrow in the village.

An elderly resident said on condition of anonymity that the murder case would head for a compromise.

"Mukhtiar Kaur, who stays in the UK, is not going to pursue the case. With the passage of time, the case will weaken and Jaswant will be let off. Both Mukhtiar and Kulwant had strained relations. It can be gauged from the fact that Kulwant's body kept lying dumped in a room for nearly 15 days and Mukhtiar did not bother to ask anyone about her husband's whereabouts," said the resident.

Jaswant was today produced before a court, which remanded him in judicial custody for 14 days.

Officer refutes charges

Investigating officer refuted the allegations that the accused, Jaswant. was given a VIP treatment. He said Jaswant was not made to sit in an AC room. He said the accused was not taken to the District Courts complex in a swanky SUV as alleged

A peep into the case

* On June 5, the city police had arrested 62-year-old Jaswant Singh Grewal, a millionaire, for allegedly murdering his elder brother Kulwant Singh (75). A property dispute was stated to be the reason behind the murder.

* Kulwant was allegedly killed by Jaswant at a house in Mehma Singh Wala village on May 16. On May 30, his mutilated body was found from the house.

* In order to hoodwink the police, the accused fled to Malaysia on May 22 for four days. He flew to Malaysia to use his visit as an alibi to make the police believe that he was somewhere else when the incident took place