Veerji it was purely for food in times of war (or to defend the community from a predator) with the incidental side benefit of sharpening military skills.

Hunting was never done for entertainment. The lie that Sikhs hunted for pleasure was invented by our enemies to portray us as debauched.

Is killing house mice, rats or rodents bad? I can see many gurdwaras have mice traps these days most establishments have taken to that. How about killing snakes and scorpions who are poisonous? How about flies who walk on feces and then come into kitchens to infect foods with bad strains of viruses, is killing flies bad, if you don't and own a restaurant you can get in trouble with health authorities.

Most the hunting were those who terrorised villages like lions who came in killing people. The deer killing seems difficult to talk about because deers don't terrorise but their meat is usually for spoils to eat. The predominant don't eat meat stand comes from nanaksar who equally call religions like islam and christian good and equal revelations of god which promote eating meat, so it goes against nanaksar saying don't eat meat, if they feel the haddiths, quran and bible are revelations of god then god has allowed eating of meat. I've heard some of the pro nanaksar guys say it's okay to eat meat if you are a sant because sants have the power to even eat melted iron. Some view it as giving bad karma but it goes against them preaching texts which are considered perfect revelation to eat meat.

The taksal rehat is usually discussed as the difference between those who do bhagati as a sampayda and those who take on dharam yudh marayada who are then allowed to eat meat in war.

Is killing house mice, rats or rodents bad? I can see many gurdwaras have mice traps these days most establishments have taken to that. How about killing snakes and scorpions who are poisonous? How about flies who walk on feces and then come into kitchens to infect foods with bad strains of viruses, is killing flies bad, if you don't and own a restaurant you can get in trouble with health authorities.

Most the hunting were those who terrorised villages like lions who came in killing people. The deer killing seems difficult to talk about because deers don't terrorise but their meat is usually for spoils to eat. The predominant don't eat meat stand comes from nanaksar who equally call religions like islam and christian good and equal revelations of god which promote eating meat, so it goes against nanaksar saying don't eat meat, if they feel the haddiths, quran and bible are revelations of god then god has allowed eating of meat. I've heard some of the pro nanaksar guys say it's okay to eat meat if you are a sant because sants have the power to even eat melted iron. Some view it as giving bad karma but it goes against them preaching texts which are considered perfect revelation to eat meat.

The taksal rehat is usually discussed as the difference between those who do bhagati as a sampayda and those who take on dharam yudh marayada who are then allowed to eat meat in war.

thought deer was a pest.

Leaving aside any esoteric interpretations and perspectives, why did the purataan Khalsa hunt?

Hunting was always done by the warrior traditions.

Only the khalsa Sikhs that were active and training, participated in hunting.

Shooting your actual arrows with precision on moving targets which are alive not only trains your aim and nishana but it also builds up that inner courage and strength required to 'KILL' a live opponent. We have to remember that a khalsa Sikh fights for righteousness and against tryranny without any feelings of anger and hate.

We can sit at home and play with the nintendos and playstations for improving our own target practice, but shooting down a deer on the screen is no where near the real life situation no matter how good the visual and sound effects may be.

This was just the first part of hunting itself and then comes the jhatka. An arrow or spear can be used to strike the animal so that it slows down but then it will still be alive unless you embed a loud more of sudden arrows into the heart. However, to take it down and kill it for once the jhatka strike on the neck is used.

Another reason for doing jhatka on the goat and deer is because it involves the same strength and force as would be required to take off a human head !

I hope we can understand that this Hunting was NOT for sport as done by the rich country snobs, but it was clearly to help strengthen character and warrior skills.

Does an animal feel any pain in jhatka as muslims claim? The medical perspective would be good.

No, it does not. In fact halal can be more painful !

I wrote a lengthy article on some other thread about the physiology and scientific aspects with regards to jhatka over halal, and no doubt I clarified that jhatka is NOT more painful.

I really cannot remember what thread it was but perhaps someone may find it !