Wrong Gurbani Translations

SikhKosh

Wrong Gurbani translations and ignorance are being used by several Dawah and Christian Missionary organisations. Even if not, it is our duty to understand GurShabad correctly, so lets use this thread to correct (wrong) prevalent Shabads.

ਮੁਸਲਮਾਣੁ ਕਹਾਵਣੁ ਮੁਸਕਲੁ ਜਾ ਹੋਇ ਤਾ ਮੁਸਲਮਾਣੁ ਕਹਾਵੈ ॥ ਅਵਲਿ ਅਉਲਿ ਦੀਨੁ ਕਰਿ ਮਿਠਾ ਮਸਕਲ ਮਾਨਾ ਮਾਲੁ ਮੁਸਾਵੈ ॥ ਹੋਇ ਮੁਸਲਿਮੁ ਦੀਨ ਮੁਹਾਣੈ ਮਰਣ ਜੀਵਣ ਕਾ ਭਰਮੁ ਚੁਕਾਵੈ ॥ ਰਬ ਕੀ ਰਜਾਇ ਮੰਨੇ ਸਿਰ ਉਪਰਿ ਕਰਤਾ ਮੰਨੇ ਆਪੁ ਗਵਾਵੈ ॥ ਤਉ ਨਾਨਕ ਸਰਬ ਜੀਆ ਮਿਹਰੰਮਤਿ ਹੋਇ ਤ ਮੁਸਲਮਾਣੁ ਕਹਾਵੈ ॥੧॥

141, Guru Granth Sahib Ji

Wrong translation:

It is difficult to be called a Muslim; if one is truly a Muslim, then he may be called one. First, let him savor the religion of the Prophet as sweet; then, let his pride of his possessions be scraped away. Becoming a true Muslim, a disciple of the faith of Mohammed, let him put aside the delusion of death and life. As he submits to God's Will, and surrenders to the Creator, he is rid of selfishness and conceit. And when, O Nanak, he is merciful to all beings, only then shall he be called a Muslim. ||1||

Where is anything like 'religion of the Prophet' 'faith of Mohammad' mentioned in the original Gurbani?

Actual translation (taken from SearchSikhism):

It is difficult to be called a Muslim; if one can become a true Muslim (by surrendering completely to the Will of Waheguru), only then he may be called one. First requirement to become a true Muslim is to love the Dharam (religion) i.e. truth. Then cleanse the mind by sharing the wealth with poor and needy. This way false pride of possessions of worldly wealth goes away.

Secondly, if the Gurbani tells one to become a true Muslim then why doesn't it say to recite Kalimah, the Quran, Namaz, go on Hajj, etc ? Muslim word is being redefined just like Jati ceases being celibacy when used in Gurbani context.

Please post more Shabads and try to correct them.

Gurbani is the supreme truth and preaches the supreme truth. On page 141 Guru Ji talks about Namaz, on page 1083 Guru Ji tells to keep the Koran in your heart. There are many teekas all with different translations. We have to read them ourselves and make our own conclusions. But all the teekas come down to one thing essentially that is that Guru Ji tells us to meditate on the true naam whichever faith one belongs to. On page 1419 there is a line: Those beards are true, which brush the feet of the True Guru. Guru Ji is actually talking about the mind thinking of Guru Ji's feet not actual beard because not everyone's beard is long enough to touch Guru Ji's feet when we matha tek. See professor Sahib Singh's teeka.

This thread is about the wrong translations floating around that do more harm then good. I started with this Shabad because I saw it being (mis)used on another multi-faith forum, but ANY Shabad can be clarified here.

I have seen Muslims boasting by saying the greatness of Prophet Mohammad is that he is mentioned in every holy book of all religions, to prove this they misquote and mistranslate world scriptures. When claiming this for the Sikh scriptures, the above quoted Shabad is the one they quote. But 'religion of the Prophet' 'faith of Mohammad is not even mentioned in the original Gurbani, so I don't know where the translator got this from.

Gurbani tells us to follow the truth which is the naam. Gurbani is for all faiths. Yes to be a true Muslim one must follow the Koran which means (for a muslim) to submit your mind body and soul to Allah. When one takes Amrit from panj pyare one has to do the same (submit to Guru Ji with mind body and soul).

I have seen Muslims boasting by saying the greatness of Prophet Mohammad is that he is mentioned in every holy book of all religions, to prove this they misquote and mistranslate world scriptures. When claiming this for the Sikh scriptures, the above quoted Shabad is the one they quote. But 'religion of the Prophet' 'faith of Mohammad is not even mentioned in the original Gurbani, so I don't know where the translator got this from.

Gurbani tells us to follow the truth which is the naam. Gurbani is for all faiths. Yes to be a true Muslim one must follow the Koran which means (for a muslim) to submit your mind body and soul to Allah. When one takes Amrit from panj pyare one has to do the same (submit to Guru Ji with mind body and soul).

The name Mohammad is only specifically mentioned in Gurdas Ji's vaar

The name Mohammad is only specifically mentioned in Gurdas Ji's vaar

Veer , can you specify which Vaar? I'm interested.

Veer , can you specify which Vaar? I'm interested.

Vaar 1 pauris 4 & 20. Also Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji Maharaj in Sri Bachittar Natak mentions Muhammed by the name of Mahadeen, stating that Waheguru created him and made him emperor of Arabia, but he spread Allah's name through force and forced people to become circumcised which does not comply with Sikh philosophy. This is why Waheguru Ji had to send Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji to spread the truth.