Why Are Alot Of Sikhs So Westernized

ghettosikh

Hi everyone im not trying to offend anyone here but i was wondering if anyone else has noticed this but does anyone think tht our community is integrating too much and to westernized i mean theres alot of sikhs who can't even speak punjabi some dont even like our food and ambandon sikhi altogether i dont know how big this problem is in the uk but in canada its with ppl older than me like 24--30 year olds cos i think they grew up when there werent alot of apne in canada at the time but the new generation is way better for those who grew up in the 2000's we even talk differently having a accent speaking in punjabi way more and speaking only punjabi at home (alot of the older ones speak english to there parents)

The reason im saying this is because what i feel is being too intergrated and westernized will not do our community good because i know of a few girls and boys who i would say r very westernized say tht they r athiests, humanitarian, no religon only god types n sell themselves out to please the goreh well those who live in segregated communties are alot closer connected to there culture and know more of it what r your thoughts do u think tht our sikh community is to westernized and do u feel like intergrating is good or bad?

Well it depends on how important your religion/culture is to you.

My sister is a very decent girl but has no real love for Sikhism or Punjabi language, she can't speak it really. She would describe herself as being agnostic.

I'm quite western, 90% of the music and movies I watch are American/British but I still have that appreciation for my own culture.

A lot of it comes down to the parents and how receptive the child is. My dad used to make me learn the gurmukhi alphabet when I was a kid. I had interest in this but my sister really did not.

Ideally you need a mix of western/sikh values. If you live in a society that is too closed off then you end up becoming ghettoized like Pakistanis and Bangladeshis. Your career prospects then diminish and this leads to poverty.

I'm from the washed out generation and the only one who is Punjabi/Sikh out of my cousins/family.

Do you think that your kids,- kids (grandkids) will grow up to be as Punjabi as you over here in the west ???

Hey lucky, what do u mean ur the only one who is punjabi.sikh in ur family? did u convert? but about the kids issue i have thought sbout it many times but i think they'll be good cos theres lot of resources like khalsa schools and what not to make sure tht they hav proper knowledge. and i plan on makin sure my children first language is punjabi then english. another thing tht is helping is tht i no of 4 punjabi guys and 1 legit amritdhari sikh who r older then me who hve had arranged marriages with women back home n 2 of them now have kids one just turned 3 and despite having a dad born n bred here the boy is more fluent in punjabi than english.

I know its impotent to intergrate but if you take a kid who was brought up in a white neighborhood vs one in a mostly punjabi/desi area youll see tht the one in the desi area is more respectful to his parents and not into drugs or sleeping around. but this trend of being modern or getting with the times is the one i have an issue with it hit me wen i was at a wedding few days ago (not relatives but a close family friends relatives) and in it the girls were dressed really inmodestly to the point tht i was feeling uncomfortable n there was alot of drinking even aunties were drinking i kid you not n on the drive back me and my parents were discussing how out of place we felt because to these ppl my family would be looked down upon and uneducated backwards (which we r not) i just wanna know why you guys think this trend started happening n if u feel like self segregated communities r good or would u rather assimilate in the western community and why

My sister is a very decent girl but has no real love for Sikhism or Punjabi language, she can't speak it really. She would describe herself as being agnostic.

I'm quite western, 90% of the music and movies I watch are American/British but I still have that appreciation for my own culture.

A lot of it comes down to the parents and how receptive the child is. My dad used to make me learn the gurmukhi alphabet when I was a kid. I had interest in this but my sister really did not.

Ideally you need a mix of western/sikh values. If you live in a society that is too closed off then you end up becoming ghettoized like Pakistanis and Bangladeshis. Your career prospects then diminish and this leads to poverty.

u remind me exactly of my cousins lol he has balanced it perfectly but his sister is exactly like they way u described urs but tht being said i dont wanna come across like im saying tht ppl like tht should be looked down upon and i cant stress tht enough but do u feel tht intergrating too much will be harmful for us i mean think about future generations will they have any link to there culture thts wat im trying to get at

u remind me exactly of my cousins lol he has balanced it perfectly but his sister is exactly like they way u described urs but tht being said i dont wanna come across like im saying tht ppl like tht should be looked down upon and i cant stress tht enough but do u feel tht intergrating too much will be harmful for us i mean think about future generations will they have any link to there culture thts wat im trying to get at

You know what can turn off decent educated girls from our culture?

When you have apne drinking like there's no tomorrow, acting like ghetto blacks, getting into fights, blasting out loud music from their cars. Even well educated 'Sikhs' are prone to this sort of behaviour.

I hope you are not one of those 'ya get me blud' Sikhs. Because I find that very cringe worthy.

Look at this guy, he's probably one of the most well spoken apnas I've seen, mingles with goreh but has still kept in touch with his culture.

Three ways of creating ones reality

1) Collective consciousness (whats going on around you right/wrong does matter) I just want to fit in.

2) Higher Being consciousness (Gurus life/word/rehat) Needs strong faith/belief. Not part of the general/collective consciousness.

3) Individual consciousness like saints Sant Karam Singh Hoti Mardan, Baba Nand SIngh ans various other saints. Sikh/Non Sikh