Gta 5 - Is It Appropriate For Kids !

taran0

Tomorrow GTA 5 will be released - its an 18 rated game but i am still shocked at how many parents let their under-age kids play games like this and games like Call of Duty.

the ESRB has stated the reasons for its Mature content classification as

“The game includes depictions of sexual material/activity: implied fellatio and masturbation; various sex acts that the player's character procures from a prostitute—while no nudity is depicted in these sequences, various sexual moaning sounds can be heard. Nudity is present, however, primarily in two settings: a topless lap dance in a strip club and a location that includes male cult members with exposed genitalia in a non-sexual context.
“Some sequences within the larger game allow players to use narcotics (e.g., smoking from a bong, lighting a marijuana joint); cocaine use is also depicted. Players' character can, at various times, consume alcohol and drive while under the influence. The words “f**k,” “c*nt,” and “n**ger” can be heard in the dialogue.”

Now i'm not against games, i am an avid gamer and have pretty much played every major game to be released within the past 15 years, but i find that these games are really unsuitable for young children. When i was younger my parents didn't know anything about games, they just thought it was donkey kong and line tennis. So when games got really realistic they didn't have a clue the sort of stuff i was playing. But even then, back in our day Wolfenstein wasn't so realistic and didn't have the same impact as modern games which have real human looking characters and realistic blood damage effects.

These days you have realistic looking characters and in gta's case quite misogynistic content which degrades women and gives the wrong kind of message to young people about how women should be treated.Also a problem is these children being introduced to themes and concepts that are presented not within historical or educational context but in a very gung-ho kill as much as you can kind of attitude.

i guess for a sensible adult these games can be ok, and its not real so its just a bit of escapism - but for children this game can be quite damaging towards building their initial ideas on sex and morality- i think that older siblings and cousins must also be careful not to play these games around younger siblings.

another issue is online gaming - you can check who your kids are playing with when they come over to your house but online they just wearing a pair of headphones and you don't know who's playing with them and what they are saying. A lot of the time there is some very offensive cursing and swearing between players which can be switched off so your child can play online without having to listen to it.

I play games like call of duty and battlefield but never in front of my kids, until they reach a maturer age where they can understand the context within which the game is being played.

my benti to parents is that they check carefully what games they buy for their kids and make sure the content is suitable, and also play games with your kids but restrict their time or use it as an incentive to complete homework or do other tasks.

I do believe that games are a powerful medium and can help in engaging young children and can be great fun played in a family atmosphere. Here are some suggestions for kids

little big planet 1&2

Lego adventure games

Rayman legends

Disney games (toy story, universe, )

Kinect games

racing games such as need 4 speed & burnout

Sports games such as Fifa or Pro evo

and for the older lot halo 2 ,3 or 4 is good as a shooter as it more fantasy based and involves shooting aliens, not realistic looking humans.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/staying-in/video-games/gta-5-torture-row-teachers-2278689

GTA 5 torture row: Teachers slam scenes of extreme violence in most expensive game ever made 17 Sep 2013 00:00

In the 18-rated violent crime game’s most shocking scene yet, the player is instructed to pull out his victim’s teeth with a pair of pliers

620-GTAV-1-2277596.jpg

A brutal scene in a new computer game where players carry out gruesome torture techniques has been condemned by teachers.

Today sees the official release of Grand Theft Auto 5, one of the most highly-anticipated games of all time.

But it has sparked fears from the Association of Teachers and Lecturers about the impact of its extreme violence on youngsters.

In the 18-rated violent crime game’s most shocking scene yet, the player is instructed to pull out his victim’s teeth with a pair of pliers.

Gamers then perform the controversial ‘water boarding’ torture technique by pouring a flammable liquid over a victim tied to a chair.

Players then smash the victim’s kneecap with a monkey wrench and give him electric shocks using spark plugs as he pleads for mercy.

Alison Sherratt, president of the Lecturers and Teachers Association, insists such extreme violence should not be included in video games.

She said: “Up until now we’ve been warning of the dangers of children seeing these games but saying it’s the parents responsibility to keep children away from these video games.

“But this scene takes things a step too far and the games makers need to consider what they are producing.

“Children in our playgrounds are displaying more violence and we have conducted polls and found they are viewing games like GTA.

“My concern is that little brother or sister walk in to the room and start watching something like this because an older brother is playing it.

“They don’t understand the difference between reality and fiction because it’s so awfully graphic and real. and they do copy it.

“They imitate what they see and this scene is taking it way too far."

Labour MP Keith Vaz says he is “astonished” by the controversial torture scene in GTA 5.

The chairman of the Home Affairs Select Committee has tabled a number of Early Day Motions calling for a curb on gaming violence in the past - including after Anders Breivik’s 2011 massacre.

Mr Vaz said: “I am astonished at the level of violence depicted in this game.

“It is worrying that this type of content could be accessed by young people, particularly considering the previous links to real-life violence.

“It is important that the video game industry takes steps to fully inform the public about the level of extreme content.

“Responsibility also lies with parents to ensure that their children do not access these types of games until it is appropriate.”

The Lecturers and Teachers Association has carried out interview research it claims shows video games are increasing violence among primary school-aged children.

Ms Sherratt added: “We’ve had children crashing into others in toy cars in the playground.

"When asked about it they say they have been watching Grand Theft Auto. They are quite open about it. And these are children of nine and ten.”

Players choose one of three career criminals to play as before, shooting, stabbing and crashing their way through meticulously recreated American cities.

With a £170 million budget which dwarfs even Hollywood blockbusters, GTA 5 is easily the most expensive game ever made.

More than 25 million copies are expected to be making their way into homes around the world generating a staggering £1billion for Scottish creators Rockstar North during the first year alone.

Amazon is currently investigating after some customers who ordered their copy online received it earlier than its strictly enforced deadline of today.

The online retailer said only “a small number” of customers had been affected, adding: “We have established processes in place to deliver new titles to customers on their release date and are looking into the circumstances that led to a small number of customers receiving this game earlier than intended on this occasion.”

The franchise’s remorseless crime and violence have attracted criticism from campaigners who claim it leads to real-world violence.

However, a recent high profile study published in Springer’s Journal of Youth and Adolescence found no link between youth violence and video games.

Rockstar North has not yest commented on the controversial torture scene.

Pretty Ironic ! hehehehhe

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/09/17/grand-theft-auto-v-fan-stabbed-_n_3940191.html?utm_hp_ref=uk

GTA 5 Fan Hit With A Brick, Stabbed And Robbed After Picking Up Copy At Midnight

PA/The Huffington Post UK | Posted: 17/09/2013 13:15 BST | Updated: 17/09/2013 13:29 BST

gplus-32.png
r-GRAND-THEFT-AUTO-large570.jpg?6

A 23-year-old man was hit with a brick, stabbed and robbed after picking up one of the first copies of Grand Theft Auto V at midnight.

The victim was attacked after he left an Asda store in north London just 80 minutes after the notoriously violent video game went on sale.

He was stripped of his mobile phone, watch and his copy of GTA V near the supermarket.

The man is now recovering in hospital where he is said to be in a stable condition.

A Scotland Yard spokesman said: "The victim had been shopping and was on his way home when he was hit with a brick.

"He was then stabbed and robbed."

Police, who were called to Princes Avenue in Colindale at 1.22am, said the motive for the attack was unclear.

It just stuns me as to how many parents let their kids play these games when there is a massive warning label and age certificate on the cover. It's there for a reason! Just waiting for the Daily Mail to get all knee-jerky and outraged about it now when the muggings and beatings start, which it already has, as evidenced by the article posted above.

GTA and similar games are not suitable for young children. They give out all the wrong messages. Such as glorifying a criminal / gangster lifestyle based on the activity of gang members... drug dealing, prostitution, extortion, theft, violence against civilans, gun crime etc etc..

While they are definitely realistic portrayals of american street gang lifestyle it's not something you want young kids to look up to and deem acceptable. We all know gang members dont live very long...theyre lucky to see theyre mid 20's