Guest confusedsikh

Guest confusedsikh

Sangat ji,

When I started doing Sukhmani Sahib it would take me almost 1 hour and 40 minutes to do one paath. Slowly, the time decreased to 1 hour then 40 minutes and now I can do one path in 35 minutes. Hence, I try to do 3-5 Sukhmani Sahib in one sitting. Is that ok? Or I should do one paath in 1 hour or more and hence do less path. When I try to make myself take more time to do one path...i realize that my mind wanders more and i am not able to concentrate on the other hand when i do path quickly..sentences that i didnt understand before become more clear and stand out more.

Please let me know if its ok to do paath quickly or to do it slowly.

ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕਾ ਖਾਲਸਾ ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕੀ ਫਤਹ

According to the little knowledge daas has gained through doing Veechar with Gurmukh Jan as well as Katha and Books, the speed if the Path does not matter. What matters is that you do the Path with love and concentration. If your concentration increases with speed so be it. Guru Gobind Singh Jee once said to Mahapurakh Sant Baba Harnam Singh Jee that it does not matter how many Paths you do. What matters is how much love and concentration you do it with. He basically said when we do Path do it so He can hear it, as if we were reciting it to Guroo Sahib Jee. The question arose from Sangat that we can't see Guroo Sahib Jee as we aren't at that Avastha. So how do we recite it to Guroo Sahib Jee? The answer Guroo Jee gave was listen to yourself doing Path and if you hear it I can hear it. So don't worry about speed. Worry about love and concentration. If you can concentrate on Path even if you do it fast do so.

Sangat Jee please provide more insight into this and correct daas where needed

Bhul chuk muaaf karna jee.

• 2 weeks later...

Not much can be added to the above posts and also the brilliant link to the thread on GurmatBibek website.

But this topic reminds me of a number of times in kathaa where I've heard the AmritVela routine of Dhan Sant Baba Sundar Singh Jee BindraWale. After Isnaan they would start reciting their first Sri JapJee Sahib Paath very slowly finishing in around an hour. As you can imagine this must be quite slow! For example, listen to the slow version of Sri JapJee Sahib by Giani Thakur Singh, available via various websites, you'll notice that Giani has reads it very slowly, taking notice of all of the bisraams and lagamantra, and even then it takes around 30 minutes.

Thereon Sant Jee commenced to do a second Paath of Sri JapJee Sahib which took half of the time - 30 minutes, the third took 15 minutes, the fourth was even quicker and I think the fifth was done totally in their surtee! - probably in like 2 or 3 minutes.

The point I've taken from this is that you need to slowly build your concentration and of course pyaar before reciting Gurbani really fast. At the same time the mind needs to be tamed!

Not an easy game! Nevertheless, we're are here discussing this topic so its all Kirpaa!

Sangat ji,

When I started doing Sukhmani Sahib it would take me almost 1 hour and 40 minutes to do one paath. Slowly, the time decreased to 1 hour then 40 minutes and now I can do one path in 35 minutes. Hence, I try to do 3-5 Sukhmani Sahib in one sitting. Is that ok? Or I should do one paath in 1 hour or more and hence do less path. When I try to make myself take more time to do one path...i realize that my mind wanders more and i am not able to concentrate on the other hand when i do path quickly..sentences that i didnt understand before become more clear and stand out more.

Please let me know if its ok to do paath quickly or to do it slowly.

Khalsa Ji,

The ultimate aim, when doing Nitnem, is to obtain rass, and become liberated from kaam/krodh/lobh/moh/ahankar. Whichever method delivers this, use that...

Waheguru.....

At one point, I got into the habit of doing 5 japji sahibs a day. I was able to zip through each paath in about 4 mins. It was so quick, even my tongue didn't move. One day, I heard the above katha - that if your mind does not hear it, Guru Ji does not hear it. I have since learned to slow down and found that concentrating more and "listening" to it internally provides more fruit than doing five very quickly.

Does anyone remember the katha about a Singh who would spend all day doing a single Japji sahib paath? He would pause and concentrate on each word or phrase.

This also brings to mind the sakhi about the Guru sikh who was doing paath in front of Guru Hargobind sahib ji maharaj and was doing it so beautifully and with dhayan that Maharaj ji arose from their throne and wanted to make him the next Guru, but the Gursikhs dhayan broke and he started to think about gifts.

The point is that Guru ji would have made him the next Guru, which goes to show the importance given to doing paath with dhayan and love.

May Maharaj bless us all to have dhayan and love whilst doing paath and to follow his teachings.

I believe that Waheguru has his Kirpa on us and then only can we do Path. If his Kirpa is that you do it in 35 minutes and then you do 3-5 path in one sitting then thats amazing. When Waheguru will want you to take more time, that day you will. And as you said when you do it in 35 minutes the Bani becomes more clear to you then follow that. Just make sure like what the previous person said do it with dhyaan and be sure to hear it and hearing is not only to do it out loud. You can do the bani inside and still hear it.

"A companion of Bhai Randheer singh Jee , bhai aatma singh jee , as soon as he used to wake up sri sukhmani sahib used to start in his surtee ( mind) and he used to complete it in 15 minutes."

I think our main goal is to do path in our surtee so we can always be doing path even when we are doing something else. This way our mind is connected to Waheguru at all times.