Where To Give Dasvandh?

TuhadaDaas

Organisations like Khalsa Aid will always throw back 'Sarbat da Bhala' at anyone who asks them why they are basically replicating the work of dozens of charities in disaster areas using the hard earned money of the Sikhs. They started off in 1999 during the Kosovo war and God knows how much of the Sangat's money they wasted in helping Kosovan refugees who were already getting thousands of pounds spent on each one by the UN, Oxfam and other charities. They have spent thousands in Haiti, Sri Lanka, Indonesia etc whilst the money could have saved many a Sikh farmer. I remember discussing this on the Sikhnet forum at the time with someone I think called Ravi or Ravinder Singh and he said that I was a Manmukh! This is the level of thinking of people running these charities.

They have made a start in helping in Punjab but even then it is impossible to know if your donation is going to Punjab or some other place. I would much rather give donations to organisations like SOPW. I have just made a donation to them because they do such admirable work in first getting innocent Sikh political prisoners freed and then giving them them a trade or employment

Thanks for your replies guys.

Just one thing I would like to say is that Dasvandh is not just giving to charity, it is a particular use of money for furthering the Khalsa Panth. So its use should be on the Khalsa Panth itself. So while I would definitely agree with giving money to Khalsa Aid which is a very admirable organisation, this should be done on top of one's dasvandh as the money is not being used purely on the panth but to help others (which is also a MUST for the Khalsa).

Agree with the brothers above, especially proactive jee. To all, I request that before you give your hard earned money away, first consider some points.

-Sikh population is growing at a very slow pace. Some argue it is actually decreasing. Our population % in Punjab and in India has gone down. So Parchar is needed.

-Shaheed Pariwars and children of the Shaheeds are not (financially) well off since their fathers became Shaheed

-Dharmi Faujis lost their employment for the Sikh cause and are living a meager existence.

-Recently new Sikhs have joined our family in MP and more are continuing to join the Sikh family but they are financially disadvantaged and need our help for what we take for granted

With the above raised points, we need to send our money to these people more than Libya or Kosovo and other international projects because those people already have thousands of charities donating to them. But who is helping the Sikhs? no one! we only have each other. If we will not spend money on making our foundation strong right now, then what future do we have left?

Singhs doing parchar related activity in MP or helping Sikligars to rejoin the Panth need our help. We always have been saying for years, "if only someone was doing some real parchar of Sikhi, I would help them out". Well this is now your turn to contribute to the advancement of the Sikh Dharm. Besides this, don't forget the children of the Shaheeds, for they need our financial help. If we don't help them, no one else will.

APS Mann is not a bad guy. From what I know about him, he is born and bred in east panjaab and led from the front in pushing Sikh youth politics at university there, which had been systematically suppressed by both the central and state governments since the huge success of the blessed Shaheed Bhai Amrik Singh in expanding the AISSF in the early 80's. He has been vocal about the oppression of the Sikh Nation even while in east panjaab, never mind here.

He may not be "dyed in the wool" :biggrin2: , but he is not what is wrong with Sangat TV.

On the other hand, I can tell you what certainly is.

The anti-Panthic stance taken by its disgustingly communal (in that it favoured one community in particular) coverage of the UK riots, and its continued excuses which eventually resulted in it refusing to screen the critical sexual grooming documentary produced by the SAS, in the fear of upsetting its pak muslim paedophile masters.

I have not donated a penny to Sangat TV, nor watched it, since.

At the same time though, I have donated £'000's to the Sikh Channel.

This is purely out of protest.

Using presenters who not only have no affiliation to Sikhi and Sikh values (upinder randhawa, sonia deol, harjap bhangal), but, furthermore, promote non-Sikh ideologies on a Sikh channel, funded out of the pockets of Sikhs, and overwhelmingly viewed by Sikhs.

Banning popular jaikaaray by those who protected the Gurdwaras of KHALISTHAAN ZINDABAAD!!! Yet openly calling for Sikhs worldwide to convert to Islam is not a hypocrisy to be forgiven quickly.

Agreed but i have spoken to Aps mann and he seems to come across as bitter and keeps saying why does the youth who have so much to say not come forward and the answer is sangat tv, he may not be a bad person but he needs to think seriously about the channel he is associated with at present also he comes across as a bit arrogant but that could be due to frustration , by stopping / editing other channel speakers or making the volume go off when other people from another org are trying to make a point is not good for the panth or for his image either, we may not like what we hear or even disagree with others but sometimes it may just be a way forward, without unity we have nothing.

I would personally split daswand to two areas -

1. Funding towards restoring/preserving sikh heritage, vidya be it- raag vidya, gurmat bhram vidya, shastar vidya etc, funding towards restoring/preserving old manuscripts, sikh arts, texts, online parchar seva projects- basic of sikhi etc.

2. Funding towards humanitarian need- natural disasters, donations based on appeal so on and so forth.

i second it