HI everyone,

As a sikh i think it is important that the sikhs have a homeland we can call our own since our Gurus sacrificed and faught so much for our freedom, rights and our land, Punjab, which we have now lost to India and Pakistan. We all need a nation and sikhs, for a proud and militant race with a noble history still do not have one yet.

Currently the only option on the table is the Idea of a Khalistan which upon closer inspection seems like a hastily put together Idea in desperation to get a sort of a consolation prize. In my opinion it holds no value and I wanted to know what other intellectual Sikhs thought about it as currently it seems as though the driving force behind the notion of Khalistan is very disorganised and poorly thought out.

Please share with me your thoughts, do you think Khalistan is an acheivable or realistic goal?

Here are my reasons for critisizing the notion of Khalistan:

Punjab is the Sikh homeland and it is here where our religion was born. Sikhism grew to popularity in Punjab in the 16th century in opposition to the Mughal rulers policy for the entire population to submit to Islam. Historically Sikhs resisted forced conversion and faught to defend other religios groups from persecution and submission to Islam also and eventually overthrew the mughal rulers. Punjab was then ruled under sikhs as a secular nation and under the principles of sikh teachings where all faiths and creeds were treated equally and in turn was revered by muslims, hindu's and sikhs alike. So why would sikhs now demand a small portion of Punjab as a country for only Sikhs? This would surely contradict the guru granth sahib which preaches co-existence and tolerence for other religions.

When I think of a Sikh nation, I think of the pride of sikhism. An impressive reflection of Sikh values such as tolerence and freedom which would breed a vibrant, clean, non-currupt, multinational/cultural democratic country consisting of beautiful buildings and beautiful statues.

I hardly think a sikh-only country demanded by narrow minded individuals will be able to acheive this since there will not be a diverse enough population to draw from in order to progress economic, social and urban development.

Sikhs have a legitimate claim to the Whole of the Punjab. The fact that a minority of Punjabi's are sikhs does not mean we cannot claim the whole of Indian Punjab. A sikh country does not mean Sikh-only country, the fact there are many Hindu and Muslim punjabis in India does not mean that they will object to a sikh state if it was secular. I beleive Khalistan will be rejected by the non sikhs but an Independant Punjab has more validity and will be accepted by sikhs and non sikhs alike and therefore increasing the prospect of the state being created. Punjab IS the Sikh homeland PERIOD. An independant Punjab, The Republic of Punjab, will be the Sikh nation which in line with Sikhism will be democratic and secular for all Punjabi, and non punjabi, peoples.

I wanted to bring these things to light and start a discussion with real sikh intellectuals rather than with the ignorant people who are mindlessly calling for a Khalistan. I started a Facebook page to make people more aware of these issues if you'd like to support it please like or share it, link is as follows:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Republic-of-Punjab/642347095799974

thank you, I'll look forward to hearing your responses!

Bro I'm skeptical because people have made me skeptical low life Hindus and Muslims have come here before with hidden agendas and Sikh names subtlety trying brainwash impressionable young Sikhs. As for your ideas I think your living in la la land if you think being Punjabi unites us in any way shape or forum think back to the Punjabi Suba movement and the census that occurred in 1961 when most Hindus put down Hindi as there mother tongue instead of Punjabi when the majority of them couldn't even speak Hindi that there is your Punjabi unity. Hindus are proud Hindus,Muslims are proud Muslims I dont see why some our lot's always trying to bend over backwards to appease our masters dreaming about a Punjabi unity that doesn't exit that is the sign of a slave mentality. Answer me this question what are you more proud of being Punjabi or being Sikh? Think of what Punjabi Culture has ever done for you and your people and compare that to what Sikhi has done if it weren't for Sikhi you would be circumcised right now or a Hindu who wouldnt be allowed to worship in certain Mandirs because your not a Bahman. Bro if you truly are Sikh than do me this favor read this letter in full http://www.rajkaregakhalsa.net/literature/General%20Sikhism/Letter%20of%20Bhai%20Sukha%20and%20Jinda.pdf and than ask your self if you can say this

and call yourself a Sikh at the same time

Also were did you get the idea that Khalistan would only be for Sikhs that is complete bs Hindus would be 1000x better off in Khalistan than they are in Hindustan for one thing they wouldn't be barred from entering Mandirs because they are not Bahmans.

Our Culture is independent and unique Khalsa Culture not a Punjabi one

Ok, I get your point there has already been some major steps made for the prospect of Khalistan but in my opinion, i'm sad to say, these have been in vain.

I firmly beleive that Khalistan is unacheivable.

Before the british conquered Punjab and it was annexed to "India" Punjab was an independant Secular state ruled by the Sikhs. Are you telling me there wasn't a punjabi Unity at that time? Course there was Maharaja Ranjit singh had muslims and Hindus in his kingdom who revered him and his principles of secularism and equality.

Punjabi unity deteriorated after partition and it is the government of both Pakistan and India who are trying to dissolve the Punjabi Identity.

Its the government who carved the states Himachal and Haryana out of punjab to create hindi speaking states that could not be claimed by Punjab/Khalistanis. Hindus selected Hindi as their language because they do not want to be part of Khalistan. What does Khalistan mean? The land of Sikhs! Why would Hindus want to be apart of this Land of sikhs. This is the reason for the Punjabi division! I want to Reinfore the Punjabi Identity. Punjabi is my race and Sikhi is my religion I cannot choose between the two. Its like choosing between my eyes and my ears. My opinion is that the Punjabi state ruled by Maharaja Ranjit Singh can make a come back as a modern day democracy! Its not slave mentality since Sikhs were the rulers when Punjabis were united:)

If Punjabis are united we can claim the whole of punjab. If we are divided we can only claim current day Punjab as Khalistan which we will never get anyway. If we are united we have a legitimate claim. I want Punjab to be Identified a soverign Country with complete autonomy but maintain a central government in India which will have military and economic ties with India.

Please answer me, which race are you? Which is your native country? Which is your native tongue?

A punjabi republic is far more trouble than its worth and not in the interested of the Sikhs. Because in a democracy the majority rules... if a punjab was to become an independent nation away from pakistan and india you would need both countries to collapse at virtually the same time and independence ethnic nationalist movements to be campaigning for it.

That wont happen with pakistani punjabi muslims because they have the biggest share of power in pakistani politics and military. Also its not in there interests for pakistan to collapse as they are ruling over other ethnicities so there is no advantage for them to have a smaller punjabi republic where they would have to share power with other religion punjabi's and they would not want to do that..

The Sikhs of punjab are about 60% population and 40% hindu.... haryana and himachal pardesh have majority hindu populations. Therefore say a punjabi republic came into existence then the politicans will only create politics where they know they can get the most votes so they will woe their respective hindu and muslim communities... leaving minorities within punjab on the slide lines struggling for their rights.

If Sikhs can take over pakistani punjabi demographics and the punjab cut and held by indian govt then.... by all means its a viable proposition for Sikhs but looking at it realistically only a Sikh dominated nation state can work in a world where majorities of certain religious groups will often vote one way to get their people into power in a democratic system and the expense of the other minorities.

It's not that no one interested in Khalistan, it's that everyone is aware that if they say anything in support of Khalistan in India then they will be caught up in false police cases and endless hassle by the police. Your statement is a bit like saying that in the 1980s no one in USSR was interested in democracy because only a few dissidents ever openly called for democracy. You only have to look at the support from Sikhs in India for Khalistan on facebook and online. Where people are allowed to give their opinions without fear of arrest there you get a true picture of how people think.

Nobody in Punjab or Delhi cares about Khalistan. What the younger generation dream about there is settling in foreign countries such as Canada/ America, never mind Khalistan. The only people hyping about this are kids who are from foreign countries.

Precisely, Punjab should be seperated and then lets turn it into a nation like the developed western countries which Punjabi youth aspire to.

It will be a much easier task without the excess corruption from India and also the shady Hindu politics:)

• 2 weeks later...