HI everyone,

As a sikh i think it is important that the sikhs have a homeland we can call our own since our Gurus sacrificed and faught so much for our freedom, rights and our land, Punjab, which we have now lost to India and Pakistan. We all need a nation and sikhs, for a proud and militant race with a noble history still do not have one yet.

Currently the only option on the table is the Idea of a Khalistan which upon closer inspection seems like a hastily put together Idea in desperation to get a sort of a consolation prize. In my opinion it holds no value and I wanted to know what other intellectual Sikhs thought about it as currently it seems as though the driving force behind the notion of Khalistan is very disorganised and poorly thought out.

Please share with me your thoughts, do you think Khalistan is an acheivable or realistic goal?

Here are my reasons for critisizing the notion of Khalistan:

Punjab is the Sikh homeland and it is here where our religion was born. Sikhism grew to popularity in Punjab in the 16th century in opposition to the Mughal rulers policy for the entire population to submit to Islam. Historically Sikhs resisted forced conversion and faught to defend other religios groups from persecution and submission to Islam also and eventually overthrew the mughal rulers. Punjab was then ruled under sikhs as a secular nation and under the principles of sikh teachings where all faiths and creeds were treated equally and in turn was revered by muslims, hindu's and sikhs alike. So why would sikhs now demand a small portion of Punjab as a country for only Sikhs? This would surely contradict the guru granth sahib which preaches co-existence and tolerence for other religions.

When I think of a Sikh nation, I think of the pride of sikhism. An impressive reflection of Sikh values such as tolerence and freedom which would breed a vibrant, clean, non-currupt, multinational/cultural democratic country consisting of beautiful buildings and beautiful statues.

I hardly think a sikh-only country demanded by narrow minded individuals will be able to acheive this since there will not be a diverse enough population to draw from in order to progress economic, social and urban development.

Sikhs have a legitimate claim to the Whole of the Punjab. The fact that a minority of Punjabi's are sikhs does not mean we cannot claim the whole of Indian Punjab. A sikh country does not mean Sikh-only country, the fact there are many Hindu and Muslim punjabis in India does not mean that they will object to a sikh state if it was secular. I beleive Khalistan will be rejected by the non sikhs but an Independant Punjab has more validity and will be accepted by sikhs and non sikhs alike and therefore increasing the prospect of the state being created. Punjab IS the Sikh homeland PERIOD. An independant Punjab, The Republic of Punjab, will be the Sikh nation which in line with Sikhism will be democratic and secular for all Punjabi, and non punjabi, peoples.

I wanted to bring these things to light and start a discussion with real sikh intellectuals rather than with the ignorant people who are mindlessly calling for a Khalistan. I started a Facebook page to make people more aware of these issues if you'd like to support it please like or share it, link is as follows:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Republic-of-Punjab/642347095799974

thank you, I'll look forward to hearing your responses!

• Like 2

why is it that whenever somebody feels the need to say this i never believe them

Why?

I feel the need to say "as a sikh" because these are the feelings as a sikh. Why so skeptical?

Bro I'm skeptical because people have made me skeptical low life Hindus and Muslims have come here before with hidden agendas and Sikh names subtlety trying brainwash impressionable young Sikhs. As for your ideas I think your living in la la land if you think being Punjabi unites us in any way shape or forum think back to the Punjabi Suba movement and the census that occurred in 1961 when most Hindus put down Hindi as there mother tongue instead of Punjabi when the majority of them couldn't even speak Hindi that there is your Punjabi unity. Hindus are proud Hindus,Muslims are proud Muslims I dont see why some our lot's always trying to bend over backwards to appease our masters dreaming about a Punjabi unity that doesn't exit that is the sign of a slave mentality. Answer me this question what are you more proud of being Punjabi or being Sikh? Think of what Punjabi Culture has ever done for you and your people and compare that to what Sikhi has done if it weren't for Sikhi you would be circumcised right now or a Hindu who wouldnt be allowed to worship in certain Mandirs because your not a Bahman. Bro if you truly are Sikh than do me this favor read this letter in full http://www.rajkaregakhalsa.net/literature/General%20Sikhism/Letter%20of%20Bhai%20Sukha%20and%20Jinda.pdf and than ask your self if you can say this

Currently the only option on the table is the Idea of a Khalistan which upon closer inspection seems like a hastily put together Idea in desperation to get a sort of a consolation prize. In my opinion it holds no value

and call yourself a Sikh at the same time

Also were did you get the idea that Khalistan would only be for Sikhs that is complete bs Hindus would be 1000x better off in Khalistan than they are in Hindustan for one thing they wouldn't be barred from entering Mandirs because they are not Bahmans.

Our Culture is independent and unique Khalsa Culture not a Punjabi one

• Like 3

Bro I'm skeptical because people have made me skeptical low life Hindus and Muslims have come here before with hidden agendas and Sikh names subtlety trying brainwash impressionable young Sikhs. As for your ideas I think your living in la la land if you think being Punjabi unites us in any way shape or forum think back to the Punjabi Suba movement and the census that occurred in 1961 when most Hindus put down Hindi as there mother tongue instead of Punjabi when the majority of them couldn't even speak Hindi that there is your Punjabi unity. Hindus are proud Hindus,Muslims are proud Muslims I dont see why some our lot's always trying to bend over backwards to appease our masters dreaming about a Punjabi unity that doesn't exit that is the sign of a slave mentality. Answer me this question what are you more proud of being Punjabi or being Sikh? Think of what Punjabi Culture has ever done for you and your people and compare that to what Sikhi has done if it weren't for Sikhi you would be circumcised right now or a Hindu who wouldnt be allowed to worship in certain Mandirs because your not a Bahman. Bro if you truly are Sikh than do me this favor read this letter in full http://www.rajkaregakhalsa.net/literature/General%20Sikhism/Letter%20of%20Bhai%20Sukha%20and%20Jinda.pdf and than ask your self if you can say this

and call yourself a Sikh at the same time

Also were did you get the idea that Khalistan would only be for Sikhs that is complete bs Hindus would be 1000x better off in Khalistan than they are in Hindustan for one thing they wouldn't be barred from entering Mandirs because they are not Bahmans.

Our Culture is independent and unique Khalsa Culture not a Punjabi one

Ok, I get your point there has already been some major steps made for the prospect of Khalistan but in my opinion, i'm sad to say, these have been in vain.

I firmly beleive that Khalistan is unacheivable.

Before the british conquered Punjab and it was annexed to "India" Punjab was an independant Secular state ruled by the Sikhs. Are you telling me there wasn't a punjabi Unity at that time? Course there was Maharaja Ranjit singh had muslims and Hindus in his kingdom who revered him and his principles of secularism and equality.

Punjabi unity deteriorated after partition and it is the government of both Pakistan and India who are trying to dissolve the Punjabi Identity.

Its the government who carved the states Himachal and Haryana out of punjab to create hindi speaking states that could not be claimed by Punjab/Khalistanis. Hindus selected Hindi as their language because they do not want to be part of Khalistan. What does Khalistan mean? The land of Sikhs! Why would Hindus want to be apart of this Land of sikhs. This is the reason for the Punjabi division! I want to Reinfore the Punjabi Identity. Punjabi is my race and Sikhi is my religion I cannot choose between the two. Its like choosing between my eyes and my ears. My opinion is that the Punjabi state ruled by Maharaja Ranjit Singh can make a come back as a modern day democracy! Its not slave mentality since Sikhs were the rulers when Punjabis were united:)

If Punjabis are united we can claim the whole of punjab. If we are divided we can only claim current day Punjab as Khalistan which we will never get anyway. If we are united we have a legitimate claim. I want Punjab to be Identified a soverign Country with complete autonomy but maintain a central government in India which will have military and economic ties with India.

Please answer me, which race are you? Which is your native country? Which is your native tongue?

A punjabi republic is far more trouble than its worth and not in the interested of the Sikhs. Because in a democracy the majority rules... if a punjab was to become an independent nation away from pakistan and india you would need both countries to collapse at virtually the same time and independence ethnic nationalist movements to be campaigning for it.

That wont happen with pakistani punjabi muslims because they have the biggest share of power in pakistani politics and military. Also its not in there interests for pakistan to collapse as they are ruling over other ethnicities so there is no advantage for them to have a smaller punjabi republic where they would have to share power with other religion punjabi's and they would not want to do that..

The Sikhs of punjab are about 60% population and 40% hindu.... haryana and himachal pardesh have majority hindu populations. Therefore say a punjabi republic came into existence then the politicans will only create politics where they know they can get the most votes so they will woe their respective hindu and muslim communities... leaving minorities within punjab on the slide lines struggling for their rights.

If Sikhs can take over pakistani punjabi demographics and the punjab cut and held by indian govt then.... by all means its a viable proposition for Sikhs but looking at it realistically only a Sikh dominated nation state can work in a world where majorities of certain religious groups will often vote one way to get their people into power in a democratic system and the expense of the other minorities.

Nobody in Punjab or Delhi cares about Khalistan. What the younger generation dream about there is settling in foreign countries such as Canada/ America, never mind Khalistan. The only people hyping about this are kids who are from foreign countries.

It's not that no one interested in Khalistan, it's that everyone is aware that if they say anything in support of Khalistan in India then they will be caught up in false police cases and endless hassle by the police. Your statement is a bit like saying that in the 1980s no one in USSR was interested in democracy because only a few dissidents ever openly called for democracy. You only have to look at the support from Sikhs in India for Khalistan on facebook and online. Where people are allowed to give their opinions without fear of arrest there you get a true picture of how people think.

• Like 2

Nobody in Punjab or Delhi cares about Khalistan. What the younger generation dream about there is settling in foreign countries such as Canada/ America, never mind Khalistan. The only people hyping about this are kids who are from foreign countries.

Precisely, Punjab should be seperated and then lets turn it into a nation like the developed western countries which Punjabi youth aspire to.

It will be a much easier task without the excess corruption from India and also the shady Hindu politics:)

When everyone becomes Amritdhari then the whole world will be Khalistan. Aim big and spread the Sikhi, that's all that needs to be done, then Khalistan will happen automatically.

Raj Karega Khalsa.

• Like 1

And what happens when Canada / America are full like the uk, where will the kids of punjab and delhi go then ? Nobody cares well certainly not the kids in india according to what you are saying, Well good for the hyping kids from foreign countries (you words) at least they care about a land and its future a land a lot of them were not even born in !! and pity for the kids in punjab and delhi who think like this and dont care for their own homeland. :no:

The Khalistanis have failed to articulate what khalistan would be hence the idea lost traction over the years. The majority of people in punjab have rightly weighed the pros and cons and put the idea on the backburner. The indian state is corrupt, inefficient, unfair but largely stable. Its this "stability" that is overiding every other consideration at this point. By actively defending its borders, engaging in the political and economical discourse, paying taxes the sikhs of india have already decided.

When a country collectively does so much Paap, it cannot handle it's weight for too long. Khalistan will not come about out of the blue. But circumstances will happen that will lead to Sikh Raaj. When the Mughals were ruling India, it was a very stable and prosperous place to live in. But when it's rulers and Muslims began to mistreat others, some how Vaheguru made circumstances so favourable for Sikh raaj that people who were doubting it before became subjects of Sikh rulers. At the time, the Marathas weakened the Mughal empire internally bleeding it's resources. Add to that invasions of Nadir Shah and Ahmad Shah Abdali further destabalized the Mughal empire and the result the establishment of the Sikh Raaj in North India.

Similarly today in India, the Naxalites are bleeding Indian resources. India's biggest enemy is right on the western border Pakistan which may be down right now but it's certainly not out. Just wait till the Taliban takeover of Afghanistan and they will start a fresh wave of violent insurgency in Kashmir. India's religious makeup is also a recipe for further internal strife. As we recently saw in Muzaffarnagar, just small things can cause Hindu Muslim riots. These are all factors for a future destablization of Hindu India. Hindus do not have the unity nor religious fervor to keep the unity of India intact. Sikhs were the ones who could have fought heart and soul for India's unity. But now due to the unfair treatment brought upon the Sikh Qaum by the Hindus, that they have completely alienated Sikh leadership and in future that Panthic minded Sikh leadership will not fight to keep India's unity intact under Hindu domination. If future turmoil happens in India between Hindus and Muslims, Sikhs need to take the example of the Kurds of Iraq and Syria who did not get involved in the Shia Sunni civil war but rather took over their land and are holding it against both factions.

India like the Soviet Union and Yugo Slavia is a multi ethnic/religious/linguistic country. But let us hope that it breaks up peacefully like Soviet union did instead of violently as Yugo Slavia.

• Like 2

When a country collectively does so much Paap, it cannot handle it's weight for too long. Khalistan will not come about out of the blue. But circumstances will happen that will lead to Sikh Raaj. When the Mughals were ruling India, it was a very stable and prosperous place to live in. But when it's rulers and Muslims began to mistreat others, some how Vaheguru made circumstances so favourable for Sikh raaj that people who were doubting it before became subjects of Sikh rulers. At the time, the Marathas weakened the Mughal empire internally bleeding it's resources. Add to that invasions of Nadir Shah and Ahmad Shah Abdali further destabalized the Mughal empire and the result the establishment of the Sikh Raaj in North India.

Similarly today in India, the Naxalites are bleeding Indian resources. India's biggest enemy is right on the western border Pakistan which may be down right now but it's certainly not out. Just wait till the Taliban takeover of Afghanistan and they will start a fresh wave of violent insurgency in Kashmir. India's religious makeup is also a recipe for further internal strife. As we recently saw in Muzaffarnagar, just small things can cause Hindu Muslim riots. These are all factors for a future destablization of Hindu India. Hindus do not have the unity nor religious fervor to keep the unity of India intact. Sikhs were the ones who could have fought heart and soul for India's unity. But now due to the unfair treatment brought upon the Sikh Qaum by the Hindus, that they have completely alienated Sikh leadership and in future that Panthic minded Sikh leadership will not fight to keep India's unity intact under Hindu domination. If future turmoil happens in India between Hindus and Muslims, Sikhs need to take the example of the Kurds of Iraq and Syria who did not get involved in the Shia Sunni civil war but rather took over their land and are holding it against both factions.

India like the Soviet Union and Yugo Slavia is a multi ethnic/religious/linguistic country. But let us hope that it breaks up peacefully like Soviet union did instead of violently as Yugo Slavia.

Most comments on this thread are hyperbole.

The Taliban will be quite busy in Afghanistan with the nearly 350,000 Afghan Army ready to take them on. As well as the dozens of other groups armed, sponsored by the major players. They cannot get into India without major Pakistani support in which case I believe the GOI will start to do the same using Balochi groups. Afterall, the 3 major communities on the subcontinent have the same fault lines.

Countries do not "break up" in the 21st century without massive outside intervention. Especially, countries that have massive economical potential.

Anycase, these are massive civilizations - chinese, muslims, hindu, buddhist, christians that have huge manpower, resources at their disposal. Either you join up with one of them or get trampled.

Most comments on this thread are hyperbole.

The Taliban will be quite busy in Afghanistan with the nearly 350,000 Afghan Army ready to take them on. As well as the dozens of other groups armed, sponsored by the major players. They cannot get into India without major Pakistani support in which case I believe the GOI will start to do the same using Balochi groups. Afterall, the 3 major communities on the subcontinent have the same fault lines.

Countries do not "break up" in the 21st century without massive outside intervention. Especially, countries that have massive economical potential.

Anycase, these are massive civilizations - chinese, muslims, hindu, buddhist, christians that have huge manpower, resources at their disposal. Either you join up with one of them or get trampled.

Bhaaji, the ANA is a joke. Compared to today's ANA, when the Russians had retreated from Afghanistan they left a much more powerful disciplined ANA under the leadership of a capable leader like Dr Najibullah. But even they lost to the Afghan freedom fighters. Today's undisciplined ANA under the weak leadership of Karzai will not be able to handle the Taliban. Even the highly disciplined American army with all their intel & modern weaponry and NATO allies could not defeat them and are now forced to retreat, then what hope does ANA have?

The 21st century is not too far from the 90s when powerful countries such as Soviet Union(a Super power!) and Yugo Slavia collapsed. Countries right now are in the process of either ragime change or collapsing right before us(Lybia, Syria, Iraq). When the realities of a country change, it can happen at a blink of an eye. The Pak army(and behind the scenes the Chinese) will fully assist the Afghan Jihadists in Kashmir and Naxalites in India against the Indian army. And I am not saying this, this is what many analysts are saying.

In the bigger picture of things when a country such as Hindu dominated India does so much Paap as they did against the Sikhs, they will have to pay for it somehow. Attacking Sri Darbar Sahib was no small matter. This was a huge atrocity committed by the Hindus against the Sikhs. Divine punishment for such a nation can mean eventual collapse.