Sikh Paramedic

Guest Asingh

Guest Asingh

Sat Sri Akal sangat jio

I wanted to know if there are any sikh paramedics primarily in the UK I've been told that there aren't many or hardly non compared to military doctor police etc as having a beard is not acceptable (not 100% sure)

Fateh

Guest Balkararara

One of my best friends is a Keshadhari paramedic, wears a pug. What did u want to know about the job?? I will ask him or try to get him to come direct onto this forum.

Guest Asingh

Thank you veers for ur replies, I'm currently doing ucas and I'm very interested in getting into paramedic science and also I believe our older generation bibiyan, babeh etc cannot explain what they are going through when an ambulance is called so if I can make that one difference il be more than satisfied I've just started getting into sikhi also which is more important than my career I just wanted to know why the decline in this specified career does the sikhi attire contribute to this? @balkararara that would be great if you could find out if wearing a dastaar do you wear one or a patka when on duty and regarding a free flowing beard do goreh mind as., it can get in the way for example when performing mouth to mouth resuscitation even though I don't think so. Thanks for helping as I can't ask my supervisor at West midlands ambulance service these questions fateh

We never do mouth to mouth resuscitation we have a bag valve mask resuscitator and I wear a green dastaar with my local ambulance service crest badge, I get a a lot of compliment and respect from everyone when I'm out and about on my response car or working events,

Sadly I think it's seen being a paramedic is a less prestige job i.e doesn't pay well and picking up drunks but believe me if I can earn enough to afford to pay a mortgage on my own and keep an open mind when dealing with drunks (most of them are punjabi and homeless on my patch and can get quite nasty!)

Overall I've enjoyed the last 7 years, we have another kesadhari Emergency Care Assistant at my ambulance station who has been in more than 20 years and will retire, sadly the austerity cut backs are increasing the workload and changing poor working conditions puts everyone off too. My next move is to work overseas in the Middle East as a Paramedic (financial incentives and lifestyle improvements) but fingers crossed.

Guest Asingh

Thanks for your reply paaji the picture looks great thanks for the insight but what a big shame about the drunks being mainly punjabi do u mean quite nasty in a verbal way or does or has it ever got physical (did u throw your left hook lol) and that's great I wish you all the best of luck and success rab rakha allways

Guest Anonymous

If I'm perfectly honest the ambulance service hasn't got much going for it, a combination of both government cut backs and abusive patients isn't worth a career perusing for sadly!

The real reality of the job is highlighted in this blog:

http://brokenparamedic.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/why-public-should-care-about.html?m=1

It's a very stressful job too mentally and both physically there's lack of support if you're I'll or injured that's why we end up working when we're sick and get worse! Couldn't say it's any better in the police either also the unsociable hours can impact on your work life balance so think twice before settling for anything related to the ambulance service!!