Craving Alcohol

Guest sober

I used to be a mona sikh. I used to go clubbing and drinking a couple of times a month, however I never drank at home, I only used to drink if I was going to a club. I always had a belief in Sikhi. Whenever I hit a tough time in my life I would go to the gurdwara more often and pray to god. When times were good I would stop going to the gurdwara and question if god exists.

I was off work for nearly two years due to an injury that was difficult to diagnose. During those two years I hit many lows, got depressed and wondered if I would ever get better. One day I was so low that I bowed in front of the SGGS and told god that I would stop drinking if he made me better.

Gradually over time I did get better by seeing some good physiotherapists. I also took to wearing a pagh.

I've now returned to work and have started mixing with people again. My health is not 100% better but it's getting there. Entering the workplace after a long time reminds me of my old lifestyle. I now have a craving for alcohol and to visit a nightclub. However I would feel extremely guilty as I wear a pagh and the promise I made in front of SGGS.

What can I do to get rid of this craving? I feel like I'm missing out by not drinking and enjoying nightlife but on the other hand I know it's not the right path.

These kinds of things will happen ! :blink2:

You shall be tested. Maya will throw you the memories of joy and ecstasy that you used to attain with these pleasures of intoxicants.

TEMPTATION..... is the key word !!

AVOID it .... FIGHT it.... CONQUER it... IS THE ACTION you should take.

Then once you think you may have overcome this, - you can be tested with the most beautiful, lustful women throwing themselves at you asking just for the joy of your flesh.

You Must overcome this as well .!!!!!!!!!

It's not easy, but you have to start conquering your mind and the cravings. Personally, I think that the cravings themselves are the play of your own mind. Which is why you must try and conquer the root.

I was the same as you and was mona all my life. I did everything, ate everything, drank everything and enjoyed the pleasures of everything I could have too.

I know the temptations get bad and you can go out with others that may be drinking, flirting and squeezing chicks all night whilst you will refuse to do so. But the sad thing is you may find that you will be thinking about it and thinking whether to make a move or not throughout the whole night.

This is just the first stage and it seems this is where you are at. :biggrin2:

The next stage is when you wil stop getting any of these urges and instead you will get the urge not to even be going out even if not indulging in anything.

Instead, you will hopefully get the urge to just be contemplating and reading gurbani instead.

You have to find that factor or thought that will make you feel a lot more worthy for not socializing in that crowd or not letting the thoughts of temptations take over your whole night.

ie.. not to spend the whole night wondering...'shall I??'...''maybe just this once??'......''it won't hurt...''.....etc...etc..

Instead think something like... 'I may go and indulge and enjoy all these joys and paaps of maya for now, but I shall keep getting born again and again in these janams to participate and enjoy again and again. .However, if I use this valuable lifetime and all these valuable breaths that God has given me to unite and merge with the supreme mool or root where I really belong, then I can break away from this cycle of births for once and for eternity to be ONE with the Satguru Akaal Purakh.''

Thinking of something like this is what you need to do every time and it should hopefully make you feel stronger and more in control as well as make you feel closer to the ONE who is the real doer and your True maker.

My advice is to build and develop yourself step by step and then take amrit.

I know a lot of people will tell you to take amrit to stop any possibility of you consuming some liquor or indulging in other pleasures.... _ this is fine and it works well for some. But I know of some fellow Sikhs that had not tried dealing with their temptations beforehand and then regretfully ended up breaking their amrit, which is why I wouldn't personally advise you follow this route.

ALL these steps I described above are about personal and self discipline in helping you develop into a better Sikh whilst conquering your weaknesses and temptations.

Then finally comes the ultimate discipline, which is the code of rehat in amrit.

Amrit should be taken after personal discipline has been practiced with success in my opinion since you want to take it the ONCE and for Good and not be planning to pesh if a ''What if ??'' happens to occur..

I think meditation may help me. Does anyone have any links to do naam simran properly? Due to my injury I'm not able to get into the lotus position at the moment. I'm working on it.

I think the craving comes because it has been so long since I had alcohol and visited a club. Interacting with drinkers after two years has also had a big effect.

But I used to remember going out previously and then thinking that it was a waste of time and the hangover wasn't worth it.

These kinds of things will happen ! :blink2:

You shall be tested. Maya will throw you the memories of joy and ecstasy that you used to attain with these pleasures of intoxicants.

TEMPTATION..... is the key word !!

AVOID it .... FIGHT it.... CONQUER it... IS THE ACTION you should take.

Then once you think you may have overcome this, - you can be tested with the most beautiful, lustful women throwing themselves at you asking just for the joy of your flesh.

You Must overcome this as well .!!!!!!!!!

It's not easy, but you have to start conquering your mind and the cravings. Personally, I think that the cravings themselves are the play of your own mind. Which is why you must try and conquer the root.

I was the same as you and was mona all my life. I did everything, ate everything, drank everything and enjoyed the pleasures of everything I could have too.

I know the temptations get bad and you can go out with others that may be drinking, flirting and squeezing chicks all night whilst you will refuse to do so. But the sad thing is you may find that you will be thinking about it and thinking whether to make a move or not throughout the whole night.

This is just the first stage and it seems this is where you are at. :biggrin2:

The next stage is when you wil stop getting any of these urges and instead you will get the urge not to even be going out even if not indulging in anything.

Instead, you will hopefully get the urge to just be contemplating and reading gurbani instead.

You have to find that factor or thought that will make you feel a lot more worthy for not socializing in that crowd or not letting the thoughts of temptations take over your whole night.

ie.. not to spend the whole night wondering...'shall I??'...''maybe just this once??'......''it won't hurt...''.....etc...etc..

Instead think something like... 'I may go and indulge and enjoy all these joys and paaps of maya for now, but I shall keep getting born again and again in these janams to participate and enjoy again and again. .However, if I use this valuable lifetime and all these valuable breaths that God has given me to unite and merge with the supreme mool or root where I really belong, then I can break away from this cycle of births for once and for eternity to be ONE with the Satguru Akaal Purakh.''

Thinking of something like this is what you need to do every time and it should hopefully make you feel stronger and more in control as well as make you feel closer to the ONE who is the real doer and your True maker.

My advice is to build and develop yourself step by step and then take amrit.

I know a lot of people will tell you to take amrit to stop any possibility of you consuming some liquor or indulging in other pleasures.... _ this is fine and it works well for some. But I know of some fellow Sikhs that had not tried dealing with their temptations beforehand and then regretfully ended up breaking their amrit, which is why I wouldn't personally advise you follow this route.

ALL these steps I described above are about personal and self discipline in helping you develop into a better Sikh whilst conquering your weaknesses and temptations.

Then finally comes the ultimate discipline, which is the code of rehat in amrit.

Amrit should be taken after personal discipline has been practiced with success in my opinion since you want to take it the ONCE and for Good and not be planning to pesh if a ''What if ??'' happens to occur..

Solid advice , You will be tested, I myself have been through this the only difference is i was/am amritdhari and my father Guru Gobind Singh ji saved me when i did ardas at his feet. deep down you know clubbing etc is a waste of time, Do ardas it depends if you love sikhi or the world, thats what it comes down to and that is the test. The choice is yours

Spend time with people who are also into Sikhi, its difficult if you're with people at work who may be your friends but if their lifestyle includes drinking and clubbing the more time you spend with them, the more likely you are to fall into temptation. Having good sangat around you in your life outside of work will help. Try to spend more time with them and am sure they will help you conquer these feelings. Yes and definitely doing naam simran will help you feel closer to Viaguruji and ask for guidance and protection.

With Viaguruji's blessings

U saw it, drinking alcohol helped almost ruin you- thats what maya does, she teaches u how to ruin yourself. Maya can look sweet, seducing and undeniable but that is how the ones who really want this are distinguished from those who are not serious about the path-they realise that once given into, maya is actually bitter and has no benefits to us- and they detach from it.

Well the craving has gone down this week.

I only used to drink when going out, never at home. I never had the desire. In the long run I know not drinking is going to benefit me.

It will get me a better wife and will influence my kids not to drink.

Well the craving has gone down this week.

I only used to drink when going out, never at home. I never had the desire. In the long run I know not drinking is going to benefit me.

It will get me a better wife and will influence my kids not to drink.

This tells me that psychologically you are just looking for benefits from not drinking !

The benefit of having a better wife.

The benefit of being a better role model influence on kids....

There is nothing wrong with that at all, don't get me wrong.

BUT, you should really, and I mean really stay away from it because Sikhi forbids you for an even stronger reason.

That reason is that the company of the liquor is NOT going to get you any closer to the door or love of Waheguru.

Your wife and kids won't go with you when you die but the hasaab and lekha of your consumed liquor will go with you and weigh down your karam heavily.

Put simply, don't expect Waheguru to love you and forgive you for any other wrongs if you knowingly carried on consuming liquor.

Your body Is your temple....... even Jesus said this !

God has given you this body and sareer in full working order to house your atma. Your body is God's creation itself.

Should you really disrespect and dishonor it ???

I know their are non-amritdhari Singh's who drink like the jatt of all jatts. They keep a khes and don't dishonor their hair-- That's good.....BUT, they don't hesitate in dishonoring their body by continuously getting intoxicated with the Pegg Shegg !!

Just remember that Sharaab is Very Karaabh and thenu karaabh kerei gee. It will always win you after destroying you.