Animal Sacrifices?!

GKaur1315

Many mainstream sikhs have misconception regarding nihangs training and claim their knowledge of weaponry are outdated as they are totally oblivious by the fact there are are many nihang high military standard codes/chivalary/shastars which were used in mahabharata mentioned in sri sarbloh granth.
I am not a nihang by any stretch but i have been blessed to spent good amount learning (still learning) nihang idealogy, methodology and sidhant of sri dasam granth and sri sarbloh granth.
This modern weaponary is nothing compared what we had previously. Akaal purkh is timeless so as Khalsa is timeless so his weaponary.
Never under estimate old, old is gold as they say.
We know why we matha taik to guru sahib. It's living guru and to do bhagti of guru sahib in nine forms but many sikhs ignore sargun and nirgun saroop forms of vahiguroo they treat it as idol totally ignoring nine forms of bhagti hence my comment and then you also have many who matha taik to only larivaar saroop of guru sahib and walk out when its pad ched parkash again totally missing bhagti aspect and stuck in technicalities of it.

True Veer Jee,

I get what you mean.

And you're right. Olden day warfare was much more complex than people think. There were guns, cannons, catapults, animal-involvement and chemical warfare as well.

Who cares about tradition, when that tradition is not based on GURmat, and instead MANmat.
If you want to talk about tradition, we can talk about Nihangs and marijuana, etc....as well.
There are plenty of valid traditions but when it gets over blown or people wrap their head around it thats when it becomes an manmat so its not issue with tradition rather people understanding.
With same token, all though sarbloh bibek is great tradition to avoid inflitration or avoid negative energy at certain avastha its been over blown by people and made it into something else at the border line of manmat.
Similiarly jhatka tradition is not manmat as there are lot of symbolism/deeper aspect behind it however people hiding behind jhatka tradition eating it freely at kfc or taste of tongue or wrap their head around ritualistic/dogmatic killing (ignoring shakti aspect) that what makes it manmat.

And please, I can say the same thing....Sikhi didn't start from so-called nihangs who cannot get over the taste of their tongue...and it won't end with them......see how pathetic that sounds? Bhai Sahib is a monumental example of Sant-Sipahi.....someone who actually stood up for something...don't start those cheap tactics to try and make him look insignificant. He wasn't the one sitting on a manja getting his legs massaged by chelas when the Panth was in dire need of someone to sacrifice everything.

Don't want to get into my bhai sahib or nihang jathedar is better than yours..see my post based on my own personal expereince below regarding individual cutlish perception in the panth:

There are plenty of valid traditions but when it gets over blown or people wrap their head around it thats when it becomes an manmat so its not issue with tradition rather people understanding.
With same token, all though sarbloh bibek is great tradition to avoid inflitration or avoid negative energy at certain avastha its been over blown by people and made it into something else at the border line of manmat.
Similiarly jhatka tradition is not manmat as there are lot of symbolism/deeper aspect behind it however people hiding behind jhatka tradition eating it freely at kfc or taste of tongue or wrap their head around ritualistic/dogmatic killing (ignoring shakti aspect) that what makes it manmat.
Don't want to get into my bhai sahib or nihang jathedar is better than yours..see my post based on my own personal expereince below regarding individual cutlish perception in the panth:

I get what you mean.

However, I'm not getting into an 'individual cultish perception', I'm just saying it how it is. If someone is giving themselves a status and title or put themselves in the position of a leader/satkaar-jog....then they better act like one and be like one, and be there for the Panth day in and day out.

Jatka or Jataka is part and parcel of ancient kysteria tradition. How relevant it is to todays battlefield is open for debate. But all major kysteria groups observe it in some way or another. The Gurkhas who are devout hindus still slaughter a buffalo in the precincts of a temple before going into battle. They slaughter with their Kukris. This training with the Kukri comes into play even in modern times. There is a Gurkha attached to the British Army that killed 6-7 Taliban just with his Kukri because he ran out of ammo. Won the Queens Cross as well. The training as a child probably saved his life.The Rajputs still slaughter goats and buffalo and indeed its called Maha Prasad.

In ancient times, sacrifices of goats, cows, buffalos and even horses are performed in kysteria groups. Precided over and sanctioned by the brahmins.

On a practical level, the soldier that fights and dies on distant battlefields needs to able to eat anything to do his job. Hence, the dietary allowances. He/She cannot be afraid of death or blood.

The marijuana aspect is interesting because I think it was used as a painkiller in ancient times.

So, if the Nihangs are not exactly following mainstream sikh thought then please give them a break because of the job that they do.

Jatka or Jataka is part and parcel of ancient kysteria tradition. How relevant it is to todays battlefield is open for debate. But all major kysteria groups observe it in some way or another. The Gurkhas who are devout hindus still slaughter a buffalo in the precincts of a temple before going into battle. They slaughter with their Kukris. This training with the Kukri comes into play even in modern times. There is a Gurkha attached to the British Army that killed 6-7 Taliban just with his Kukri because he ran out of ammo. Won the Queens Cross as well. The training as a child probably saved his life.The Rajputs still slaughter goats and buffalo and indeed its called Maha Prasad.

In ancient times, sacrifices of goats, cows, buffalos and even horses are performed in kysteria groups. Precided over and sanctioned by the brahmins.

On a practical level, the soldier that fights and dies on distant battlefields needs to able to eat anything to do his job. Hence, the dietary allowances. He/She cannot be afraid of death or blood.

The marijuana aspect is interesting because I think it was used as a painkiller in ancient times.

So, if the Nihangs are not exactly following mainstream sikh thought then please give them a break because of the job that they do.

Lets not forget that ALL the weapons and swords that Nihangs carry and you see them wearing in their bana are NOT for show, they are for real use !!

We can learn a lot from the mindset of True nihangs.

Yes, I know there are always going to be the ones that abuse jhatka for taste of the tongue but a real and True Nihang won't be buying KFC or other meats from places.

They carry their weapons and shastar to use and not for display like a few singhs we may know. In this sense "They try to practice what they preach'' and you could say they also practice what they eat !

I'm not sure how the op of jhatka a chicken EARNS enough for anyone to become a nihang !-...........This seems like a cultish thing and is nothing about Shakti or discipline.

What exactly do Nihangs do?

I agree with scali that they should do practical training!

you cannot train yourself with swords without actually using it on field, let alone the simulator lol thats dumb , nihang practicing on stimulator ?

We are not Brahmins now are we.

Killing an animal is not any remover of fear. Amrit Naam, Gurbani, Gur-Shabad, etc are all more than sufficient in terms of TRULY removing fear from DEEP within.

• ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਨਾਮੁ ਪੀਓ ਮਨੁ ਤ੍ਰਿਪਤਿਆ ਅਨਭੈ ਠਹਰਾਇਓ ॥੨॥
  • ਕਰਤਾ ਹੋਇ ਸੁ ਅਨਭੈ ਰਹੈ ॥੨॥
  • ਸਭ ਦੇਖੀਐ ਅਨਭੈ ਕਾ ਦਾਤਾ ॥
  • ਤਿਨ ਭਉ ਨਿਵਾਰਿ ਅਨਭੈ ਪਦੁ ਦੀਨਾ ਸਬਦ ਮਾਤ੍ਰ ਤੇ ਉਧਰ ਧਰੇ ॥

You think it is jhatka that got Singhs the courage and fearlessness to fight thousands in opposition? Yeah right...

All 11 palaces (home) of Guru's-Jot were fearless (just look at their life history for countless examples), and there is absolutely no proof that they all did jhatka.

If someone wants fearlessness, they focus on and merge with the ONE who is TRULY NIRBHAU....not slaughter some animals.

That theory has been going around on the internet for many years now and is absolutely a fairytale. There are thousands of Shaheeds who got Shaheedi without any 'painkillers' or 'drugs'. The only painkiller and drug they had was NAAM and GURBANI.

You think Bhai Mati Das Jee, Bhai Sati Das Jee, Bhai Mani Singh Jee, Beloved Sahibzaadey, etc, etc, etc were on marijuana when attaining Shaheedi?

It is absolutely ridiculous to think that Guru Gobind Singh Jee would allow marijuana for some to be 'high/intoxicated' and have an 'easier' Shaheedi, and then have other Sikhs being cut to pieces/boiled alive while being totally in their right state of mind/body.

And even if marijuana has healing properties, it still does not exempt the nashaa aspect of it.

And plus, there are wayyy more desi healing remedies than just marijuana. It's not like marijuana was the only thing Singhs had.

Singhs were wayyy more versatile and adaptive than that.

I beg your pardon, but what is the job that they do exactly?

http://www.sikhsangat.com/index.php?/topic/72973-animal-sacrifices/page-2#entry595090

Please do not treat other samparda's maryada like its , now we dont want AKJ bashing here do we? lol

respect others tradition , no one ever

questioned nihang maryada , there were so many bhramgiani's from taksal itself , who were are all vegetarians

they respected it , because its old maryada that is followed.

just because its hard for new generation to wrap their heads around old maryada doesnt mean its wrong. :)

there are avastha of different singhs ... during those days everyday singhs die and every day new singhs come up to join dals ... do u think a singh who take amrit just one day back next day he finds himself against 10000 mughals he can fight in same manner as a singh who had 20 years of banni abheyas ???

what guru sahib and guru sahib pyari fauj did in battle only they know.

You all sit on you cosy chairs on you expensive computers chatting rubbish.

Put youself in real battle environment and then ask yourself what what i do.

Those who say they would rather die than eat meat and living in kookoo land.

Do you really think that maharaj would not forgive his pyara fauji after he was fighting for the last 3 weeks without food.

When Guri Gobind Singh Ji left Machiwara he was carried by Ghuni Khan, Nabhi Khan, Bhai Mani Singh and Bhai Dharam Singh in a palanquin. Guru Ji was stopped by the mughal army. They asked the men who they were carrying and they said it was Uch Da Pir (i.e. the Pir from the village Uch). As a mark of respect the army general requested that he wanted to feed the "Pir". To this the two pathans Ghuni and Nabhi Khan replied that the Pir was fasting (i.e as is the custom in Islam). This was quick thinking as otherwise Guru Ji would have to eat undesirable food. However, the army general insisted he wanted to feed the "servants" of the Pir. The servants could not refuse as it was only the Pir who was fasting. It was at this time that Guru ji told Bhai Dharam Singh and Mani Singh to "bhet" their kirpan in the food and it will be blessed and become parshad before they eat it. From that day onwards kirpan bhet was started as a way of blessing food.

This gurdwara stands at that spot. (Doraha village in Machhiwara locality is off the GT road east of Ludhiana - This is where the gurudwara is located and I hope the above story explains some of what you will see if visiting the site).

in old battles when singhs food ration was stopped by and mughals closed the routes to get it then ,

singhs stole mughals food and did ardas and kirpan bhet food that becomes acceptable

that is why we kirpan bhet degh as well

because any food that is done with ardas path and kirpan bhet is acceptable

there was a battle foght by jassa singh alluwalia i think , i dont remember which sikh leader fought it

but my grandfather told me ,

they wanted to get accross river and there was no bridge

they did ardas and cut the river with kirpan

the water got cut and paved a way for the sikh army

there is still a sword with shastarnaam mala on it , when it inflicts wound on enemy it cannot be healed

Read itehas of baba bachitar singh from Gurubilas patshahi 10 and suraj parkash granth ... both granths state it clearly Nihang baba bachitar singh drank shahhedi deghan before going in battle field against the elephant ... and the writters of both the granths were NON NIHANGS ... infact people can only speak against the traditions of khalsa by stating either emotional or twisted facts ... Historicaly it cant be proved as the things are recorded and stated very clearly in our history ....

baba deep singh use to make sheedi deghan even for sangat go to damdama sahib ... there is one itehasak beri near srover ... under that baba deep singh made degh for sangat everyday in morning .

why do you all argue, if those that want to be akj's and disregard puratan khalsa warrior traditions let them. Im sure those that dont, will continue to uphold asli puratan maryada. According to rattan singh bhangus panth prakash, the khalsa was created to standardise the warrior, eliminating caste, creed, etc. The rules of the khalsa were simple, 4 kurehata, but how they lived was determined by the activities going on at that period - battle, hiding,etc. They ate meat to survive, and made sukha as a antibiotic as well as a boost. The khalsa(nihangs) are a warrior sect of sikhi, we are lions, dont disregard the truth for something that is within fairy tales.

PS- this isnt jatha bashing

i dont even know why topics like this begin or goto this :| ...like really nihangs care what someone behind a keyboard thinks

Savinderpalsingh how is jhatkaing a chicken a part of initiation for nihangs?

What dal has this initiation? I must have missed something!

Better still, what Dal do you belong too who made you Jhatka a chicken as a part of an initiation for becoming a Nihang?!! I would like to talk to the jathedar of that Dal.

Bhenji the only initiation a Nihang goes through is being blessed with Khanda da Amrit administered by the panj pyare in the presence of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji and Sri Dasam Granth Sahib Ji.

In respects to the tradition and maryada of Jhatka then yes this is a part of Akali Nihang Singh maryada, read what savinderpalsingh copied from nihangsingh.org to learn its history.

Mahakal Singh ji ,

what i meant was they eat maha prashad after getting initiated ,

nihangs jhatka goats and make mahaparshad for newjoinees i think. :) (please correct if wrong)

also , when some one vaishnavi badai khalsa . were to join tat khalsa back .

then they were first given mahaparshaad before joining