Animal Sacrifices?!

GKaur1315

Taksal including nananksar/rara sahib/harkhowale is root primarily vaishanav/advait (nirmale) order which is primarily meant to promote bhagti, vidya/gyan.

Nihang is in root shakti order which is primarily meant to promote shakti -bhaugti with perception of life and death part of same coin, they invoke kaal- mahakaal relationship per sri dasam guru granth and everything is part of three gunas. They do jhatka to invoke shakti, and perception of whole creation being made out of gunas and khalsa meant to be above/de-attached from gunas.
So its understandable difference in maryada as Sikhi includes all - bhakti (vaishav), yogis-shabad surat, shakti (shakti-shakta), gyan (advait vedant) aspects all orginated from vahiguroo, maharaj has included all into one and only Khalsa.
So there is diversity regarding jhatka as there is diversity of traditions (shakta-shakti,bhagti,gyan, shabad surat) within sikhism. It's never meant to be black and white way it was presented by singh sabha because multiple traditions/various school of thoughts -bhagti/shakti/gyan/shabad surat are all blended in khalsa beautifully and splendidly.
We are neither pacifistic satoguni sadhu(ahimsa idiolized bhagat) nor we are tamoguni rakshash (sipahi). Maharaj has blended sant and sipahi balanced aspect spirit into image of his own- khalsa.

Then by that logic, nihangs should swing their sword towards their own heads, or the heads of their fellow nihangs....that would be a true test of whether or not they are "above/de-attached from gunas".

Why sacrifice the chicken/goat? Why not themselves?....

This whole diversity nonsense is the reason Sikh Panth is in such a mess. No two groups get along 100% with each other. There is always someone stirring up trouble due to differences in Maryada. Differences that have been purposely put into Sikhs in order to keep us from actually achieving something great together.

Eating meat/killing animals ritualistically does not make one into a warrior. Slicing the head off of an innocent chicken or goat does not bring one closer to Akaal.

Bhagouti/Kaal/Mahakaal/Shakti all come from the inside, not the outside. You could kill thousands of animals and still not have any true Sant Sipahi Bir Ras.

For example, Hazoor Sahib and the goat and the "shasters need blood/tilak" video that went viral a few years ago. Lol, what a joke!!! Shasters need blood....yeah right.....then be prepared to offer your own...

If people want to eat meat for the taste of tongue, then that is a different story. But don't make up nonsense about:

• Shasters need blood
  • Cutting off animal heads to be initiated into groups
  • Cutting off animal heads makes one a warrior and brings one close to/merge with Bhagouti/Kaal/Mahakaal/Shakti
  • Giving animal a bath and reading JapJee Sahib to the animal before doing Jhatka (which I could write an entire essay on how anti-Gurmat that is)
  • Yelling out chants of Akaal and Jaikaarey after doing Jhatka
  • etc
ਫ਼ਾ. [نِہنگ] ਸੰਗ੍ਯਾ- ਖੜਗ. ਤਲਵਾਰ. "ਬਾਹਤ ਨਿਹੰਗ। ਉੱਠਤ ਫੁਲਿੰਗ." (ਸਲੋਹ) ਤਲਵਾਰ ਦੇ ਪ੍ਰਹਾਰ ਤੋਂ ਵਿਸ੍‍ਫੁਲਿੰਗ (ਚਿੰਗਾੜੇ) ਨਿਕਲਦੇ ਹਨ। ੨. ਕਲਮ. ਲੇਖਨੀ। ੩. ਘੜਿਆਲ. ਮਗਰਮੱਛ. (मकर मत्स्य) ਨਾਕੂ. Alligator. "ਜਨੁਕ ਲਹਿਰ ਦਰਯਾਵ ਤੇ ਨਿਕਸ੍ਯੋ ਬਡੋ ਨਿਹੰਗ." (ਚਰਿਤ੍ਰ ੨੧੭) ੪. ਡਿੰਗ- ਘੋੜਾ. ਅਸ਼੍ਵ. ਤੁਰੰਗ. "ਬਿਚਰੇ ਨਿਹੰਗ। ਜੈਸੇ ਪਿਲੰਗ." (ਵਿਚਿਤ੍ਰ) ਚਿਤ੍ਰੇ ਵਾਂਙ ਛਾਲਾਂ ਮਾਰਦੇ ਘੋੜੇ ਵਿਚਰੇ। ੫. ਸੰ. निः शङ्क ਨਿਹਸ਼ੰਕ. ਵਿ- ਜਿਸ ਨੂੰ ਮੋਤ ਦੀ ਚਿੰਤਾ ਨਹੀਂ. ਬਹਾਦੁਰ. ਦਿਲੇਰ. "ਨਿਰਭਉ ਹੋਇਓ ਭਇਆ ਨਿਹੰਗਾ." (ਆਸਾ ਮਃ ੫) "ਪਹਿਲਾ ਦਲਾਂ ਮਿਲੰਦਿਆਂ ਭੇੜ ਪਿਆ ਨਿਹੰਗਾ." (ਚੰਡੀ ੩) ੬. ਸੰ. निः सङ्ग- ਨਿਹਸੰਗ. ਨਿਰਲੇਪ. ਆਤਮਗ੍ਯਾਨੀ. ਦੁੰਦ (ਦ੍ਵੰਦ੍ਵ) ਦਾ ਤਿਆਗੀ. "ਨਿਹੰਗ ਕਹਾਵੈ ਸੋ ਪੁਰਖ ਦੁਖ ਸੁਖ ਮੰਨੇ ਨ ਅੰਗ." (ਪ੍ਰਾਪੰਪ੍ਰ) "ਮੁੱਲਾ ਬ੍ਰਾਹਮਣ ਨਾ ਬੁਝੈ ਬੁਝੈ ਫਕਰ ਨਿਹੰਗ." (ਮਗੋ) ੭. ਸਿੰਘਾਂ ਦਾ ਇੱਕ ਫਿਰਕਾ, ਜੋ ਸੀਸ ਪੁਰ ਫਰਹਰੇ ਵਾਲਾ ਉੱਚਾ ਦਮਾਲਾ, ਚਕ੍ਰ, ਤੋੜਾ, ਖੰਡਾ, ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾਨ, ਗਜਗਾਹ ਆਦਿਕ ਸ਼ਸਤ੍ਰ ਅਰ ਨੀਲਾ ਬਾਣਾ ਪਹਿਨਦਾ ਹੈ, ਨਿਹੰਗ ਸਿੰਘ ਮਰਣ ਦੀ ਸ਼ੰਕਾ ਤਿਆਗਕੇ ਹਰਵੇਲੇ ਸ਼ਹੀਦੀ ਪਾਉਣ ਨੂੰ ਤਿਆਰ ਤੇ ਮਾਇਆ ਤੋਂ ਨਿਰਲੇਪ ਰਹਿਂਦਾ ਹੈ, ਜਿਸ ਲਈ ਇਹ ਨਾਮ ਹੈ.#ਬਹੁਤ ਸਿੰਘਾਂ ਤੋਂ ਸੁਣੀਦਾ ਹੈ ਕਿ ਇੱਕ ਵਾਰ ਸਾਹਿਬਜ਼ਾਦਾ ਫਤੇ ਸਿੰਘ ਜੀ ਵਿਲਾਸ ਕਰਦੇਹੋਏ ਸੀਸ ਤੇ ਦਮਾਲਾ ਸਜਾਕੇ ਦਸ਼ਮੇਸ਼ ਦੇ ਹਜੂਰ ਆਏ, ਜਿਸ ਪੁਰ ਪਿਤਾ ਜੀ ਨੇ ਫਰਮਾਇਆ ਕਿ ਇਸ ਬਾਣੇ ਦਾ ਇੱਕ ਨਿਹੰਗਪੰਥ ਹੋਵੇਗਾ.#ਕਈ ਆਖਦੇ ਹਨ ਕਿ ਜਦ ਕਲਗੀਧਰ ਨੇ ਉੱਚ- ਪੀਰ ਵਾਲਾ ਨੀਲਾ ਬਾਣਾ ਅਗਨੀ ਵਿੱਚ ਸਾੜਿਆ, ਉਸ ਸਮੇਂ ਇੱਕ ਲੀਰ ਕਟਾਰ ਨਾਲ ਬੰਨ੍ਹੀ, ਜਿਸ ਤੋਂ ਨੀਲਾਂਬਰੀ ਸੰਪ੍ਰਦਾਯ ਚੱਲੀ, ਜੇਹਾ ਕਿ ਭਾਈ ਸੰਤੋਖ ਸਿੰਘ ਜੀ ਲਿਖਦੇ ਹਨ- (ਗੁਪ੍ਰਸੂ)#ਭਾਈ ਸੰਤੋਖ ਸਿੰਘ ਜੀ ਇਹ ਭੀ ਲਿਖਦੇ ਹਨ ਕਿ ਸ਼੍ਰੀ ਗੁਰੂ ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਸਿੰਘ ਜੀ ਨੇ ਭਾਈ ਮਾਨ ਸਿੰਘ ਨੂੰ ਵਰ ਦਿੱਤਾ ਕਿ ਤੇਰਾ ਨਿਹੰਗ ਪੰਥ ਚੱਲੇਗਾ, ਯਥਾ-#"ਹੈ ਪ੍ਰਸੰਨ ਬਰ ਦੇਵਤ ਜੋਵੈ।#ਪੰਥ ਖਾਲਸੇ ਮੇ ਤਵ ਹੋਵੈ।#ਤੁਝ ਸਮ ਬੇਖ¹ ਸੁਭਾਉ ਬਿਸਾਲੀ।#ਨਾਮ ਨਿਹੰਗ ਅਨੇਕ ਅਕਾਲੀ." (ਗੁਪ੍ਰਸੂ)#ਬਹੁਤ ਨਿਹੰਗ ਸਿੰਘ ਇਹ ਭੀ ਆਖਦੇ ਹਨ ਕਿ ਸ਼੍ਰੀ ਗੁਰੂ ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਸਿੰਘ ਸ੍ਵਾਮੀ ਨੇ ਸਿੰਘਾਂ ਦੇ ਸੀਸ ਦਮਾਲੇ ਦਾ ਫਂਰਹਰਾ ਨਿਸ਼ਾਨ ਦਾ ਚਿੰਨ੍ਹ ਥਾਪਿਆ, ਪਰ ਗੁਰੁਪੁਰ- ਨਿਵਾਸੀ ਵ੍ਰਿੱਧ ਵਿਵੇਕਾ ਸਿੰਘ ਦੀ ਅਮ੍ਰਿਤਸਰੀ ਦੇ ਕਥਨ ਅਨੁਸਾਰ ਬਾਬਾ ਨੈਣਾ ਸਿੰਘ (ਨਾਰਾਇਣ ਸਿੰਘ) ਨੇ ਸਭ ਤੋਂ ਪਹਿਲਾਂ ਫ਼ੌਜ ਦੇ ਨਿਸ਼ਾਨਚੀ ਦੇ ਸਿਰ ਉੱਪਰ ਦਮਾਲਾ ਸਜਾਕੇ ਨਿਸ਼ਾਨ ਦਾ ਫਰਹਰਾ ਝੁਲਾਇਆ, ਤਾਕਿ ਉਹ ਸਭ ਤੋਂ ਅੱਗੇ ਨਿਸ਼ਾਨ ਦੀ ਥਾਂ ਭੀ ਹੋਵੇ ਅਤੇ ਹੱਥ ਵੇਹਲੇ ਹੋਣ ਕਰਕੇ ਸ਼ਸਤ੍ਰ ਭੀ ਚਲਾ ਸਕੇ.#ਬਾਬਾ ਨੈਣਾ ਸਿੰਘ ਦਾ ਚਾਟੜਾ ਅਕਾਲੀ ਫੂਲਾ ਸਿੰਘ ਸਿੱਖ ਦਲ ਵਿੱਚ ਪ੍ਰਸਿੱਧ ਸੈਨਾਪਤੀ ਹੋਇਆ ਹੈ. ਨਿਹੰਗ ਸਿੰਘ ਅਕਾਲ ਦੇ ਉਪਾਸਕ ਅਤੇ ਅਕਾਲ! ਅਕਾਲ! ਜਪਦੇ ਹਨ, ਇਸ ਕਾਰਣ "ਅਕਾਲੀ" ਨਾਮ ਭੀ ਮਸ਼ਹੂਰ ਹੋ ਗਿਆ ਹੈ. ਦੇਖੋ, ਅਕਾਲੀ.#ਨਿਹਾਲ ਸਿੰਘ ਜੀ ਨਿਹੰਗਾਂ ਬਾਬਤ ਦਸ਼ਮੇਸ਼ ਦਾ ਫ਼ਰਮਾਨ ਲਿਖਦੇ ਹਨ-#ਧਰ੍‍ਮ ਦੇ ਧੁਰੰਧਰ ਉਦਾਰਤਾ ਕੇ ਧਾਰਾਧਰ#ਭੋਲੇ ਭਾਲ ਭ੍ਰਾਜਤੇ ਝਕੋਲ ਪ੍ਰੇਮ ਰੰਦ ਮੈ,#ਸਰ੍‍ਬਲੋਹ ਪ੍ਯਾਰੇ ਅਰ੍‍ਬ ਖਰ੍‍ਬ ਲੌ ਨ ਦਰ੍‍ਬ ਬੰਧ#ਨੈਕ ਹੂੰ ਨ ਗਰ੍‍ਬ ਪੁੰਨ ਪਰ੍‍ਬ ਯਾਕੇ ਸੰਗ ਮੈ,#ਸਾਜਕੈ ਸੁਬਾਨੋ ਸੂਰ ਗਾਜਕੈ ਮ੍ਰਿਗੇਂਦ੍ਰ ਭੂਰਿ#ਭਾਜਕੈ ਗਨੀਮ ਕੋ ਬਿਦਾਰੈਂ ਜੋਰ ਜੰਗ ਮੈ,#ਮੋਦ ਕੇ ਤਰੰਗ ਮੈ ਉਮੰਗ ਕੈ ਉਤੰਗ ਪੰਥ#ਲੋਕ ਦੰਗ ਕੈਬੇ ਕੋ ਸੁ ਕੀਨੇ ਏ ਨਿਹੰਗ ਮੈ.

In NO WAY is jhatka a defining aspect of a Nihang. In fact, one can never do jhatka in their life, and never purposely kill an animal and eat the meat, and still be way more of a nihang than those nihangs who claim that jhatka is what nihangs are about. The concept of Khalsa being Nihangs was never based on jhatka and never had anything to do with jhatka. Nihangs and jhatka don't go hand-in-hand at all.

Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh Jee was way more of a Nihang and Akaali than 99% of people who call themselves Nihangs.

This whole diversity nonsense is the reason Sikh Panth is in such a mess. No two groups get along 100% with each other. There is always someone stirring up trouble due to differences in Maryada. Differences that have been purposely put into Sikhs in order to keep us from actually achieving something great together.

Unity within diversity. Yes we need one generic maryada which caters all aspects of khalsa. I beleive sri akaal takth sahib maryada does..it may not be perfect when it comes to jhatka allowed for all, its should be only allowed for nihangs part of tradition.
I myself veggie just like you but i do try to understand various different aspects of sikhi all blended in khalsa.

Eating meat/killing animals ritualistically does not make one into a warrior. Slicing the head off of an innocent chicken or goat does not bring one closer to Akaal.

Fair point, true but jhatka tradition has deeper meaning as i mentioned systematically (with dasam bani and jhatka) invoking shakti, if students does not get it or wraps their head around it ignoring the shakti aspect or dasam bani its not tradition fault but rather lack of understanding of student.

Bhagouti/Kaal/Mahakaal/Shakti all come from the inside, not the outside. You could kill thousands of animals and still not have any true Sant Sipahi Bir Ras.

Partially agreed, it comes from inside sprouts to outside to strike Just like after intense bhagti, energy start sprouting out from inside.

For example, Hazoor Sahib and the goat and the "shasters need blood/tilak" video that went viral a few years ago. Lol, what a joke!!! Shasters need blood....yeah right.....then be prepared to offer your own..

Tradition cannot be fully ignored because of people have lost the plot. Lot of people matha taik to sri guru granth sahib ji with perception of dogmatic ritual/idol now does that mean we should stop doing parkash of guru sahib?
I am sure there will be only handful of them offering their own to akaal truly just like there will be only handful ultra veggies offering their compassion truly to this world.
In fact ultra veggies like peta and among other right wing groups are one of worst arrogrant, self righteous condescending group of people i have ever met and irony is they all beleive in "compassion" but treat their fellow being like crap and up in arms in using violence/intimidation against other fellow beings.

If people want to eat meat for the taste of tongue, then that is a different story. But don't make up nonsense about:
Shasters need blood
Cutting off animal heads to be initiated into groups
Cutting off animal heads makes one a warrior and brings one close to/merge with Bhagouti/Kaal/Mahakaal/Shakti
Giving animal a bath and reading JapJee Sahib to the animal before doing Jhatka (which I could write an entire essay on how anti-Gurmat that is)
Yelling out chants of Akaal and Jaikaarey after doing Jhatka
etc
No one is claiming- it brings warrior hood in people or bring one close to merge with bhaguti/shakti. But its one of aspects in nihang shakti tradition is to invoke aad shakti spirit just like there are nine types of bhagti gurbani talks about to invoke devotion/bhagti spirit.
So get over it mate.

Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh Jee was way more of a Nihang and Akaali than 99% of people who call themselves Nihangs.

With all due respect to bhai sahib ji. Sikhi didn't start from bhai sahib ji nor will it end with bhai sahib ji.

WaheguruJiKaKhalsa!!WaheguruJiKiFateh!!

Yes Bhenji , its normal initiation ceremony

its just you thinking this way. please read the following book.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/100583067/Jhatka-Parkash

Savinderpalsingh how is jhatkaing a chicken a part of initiation for nihangs?

What dal has this initiation? I must have missed something!

Better still, what Dal do you belong too who made you Jhatka a chicken as a part of an initiation for becoming a Nihang?!! I would like to talk to the jathedar of that Dal.

Bhenji the only initiation a Nihang goes through is being blessed with Khanda da Amrit administered by the panj pyare in the presence of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji and Sri Dasam Granth Sahib Ji.

In respects to the tradition and maryada of Jhatka then yes this is a part of Akali Nihang Singh maryada, read what savinderpalsingh copied from nihangsingh.org to learn its history.

Unity within diversity. Yes we need one generic maryada which caters all aspects of khalsa. I beleive sri akaal takth sahib maryada does..it may not be perfect when it comes to jhatka allowed for all, its should be only allowed for nihangs part of tradition.
I myself veggie just like you but i do try to understand various different aspects of sikhi all blended in khalsa.
Fair point, true but jhatka tradition has deeper meaning as i mentioned systematically (with dasam bani and jhatka) invoking shakti, if students does not get it or wraps their head around it ignoring the shakti aspect or dasam bani its not tradition fault but rather lack of understanding of student.
Partially agreed, it comes from inside sprouts to outside to strike Just like after intense bhagti, energy start sprouting out from inside.
Tradition cannot be fully ignored because of people have lost the plot. Lot of people matha taik to sri guru granth sahib ji with perception of dogmatic ritual/idol now does that mean we should stop doing parkash of guru sahib?
I am sure there will be only handful of them offering their own to akaal truly just like there will be only handful ultra veggies offering their compassion truly to this world.
In fact ultra veggies like peta and among other right wing groups are one of worst arrogrant, self righteous condescending group of people i have ever met and irony is they all beleive in "compassion" but treat their fellow being like crap and up in arms in using violence/intimidation against other fellow beings.
No one is claiming- it brings warrior hood in people or bring one close to merge with bhaguti/shakti. But its one of aspects in nihang shakti tradition is to invoke aad shakti spirit just like there are nine types of bhagti gurbani talks about to invoke devotion/bhagti spirit.
So get over it mate.

With all due respect to bhai sahib ji. Sikhi didn't start from bhai sahib ji nor will it end with bhai sahib ji.

Who cares about tradition, when that tradition is not based on GURmat, and instead MANmat.

If you want to talk about tradition, we can talk about Nihangs and marijuana, etc....as well.

And please, I can say the same thing....Sikhi didn't start from so-called nihangs who cannot get over the taste of their tongue...and it won't end with them......see how pathetic that sounds? Bhai Sahib is a monumental example of Sant-Sipahi.....someone who actually stood up for something...don't start those cheap tactics to try and make him look insignificant. He wasn't the one sitting on a manja getting his legs massaged by chelas when the Panth was in dire need of someone to sacrifice everything.

If nihangs admitted it was for the taste, I would cut them some slack....but when they start making up stories and creating rituals out of it to justify themselves...then it just gets ridiculous.

You have not been able to answer the following:

Then by that logic, nihangs should swing their sword towards their own heads, or the heads of their fellow nihangs....that would be a true test of whether or not they are "above/de-attached from gunas".

Why sacrifice the chicken/goat? Why not themselves?....

The only answer you had was that:

Lot of people matha taik to sri guru granth sahib ji with perception of dogmatic ritual/idol now does that mean we should stop doing parkash of guru sahib?

You have just became Sikhs' own enemy by bringing out Hindu/Muslim propaganda of Sikhs doing matha-tek to Guru Granth Sahib Jee is same as idol worship...

Bhai Sahib Bhai Randhir Singh Jee has written a book on how worship of Guru Granth Sahib Jee is worship of Akaal Purakh. And Giani Sant Singh Maskeen Jee has countered Hindu/Muslim propaganda as well head on.

Don't compare ritualistic cutting off an innocent goats head to bowing down to Guru Granth Sahib Jee. That comparison isn't even valid.

Look how low you have to go in order to try and support manmat practice of so-called nihangs.

You have just became Sikhs' own enemy by bringing out Hindu/Muslim propaganda of Sikhs doing matha-tek to Guru Granth Sahib Jee is same as idol worship...
Bhai Sahib Bhai Randhir Singh Jee has written a book on how worship of Guru Granth Sahib Jee is worship of Akaal Purakh. And Giani Sant Singh Maskeen Jee has countered Hindu/Muslim propaganda as well head on.
Don't compare ritualistic cutting off an innocent goats head to bowing down to Guru Granth Sahib Jee. That comparison isn't even valid. Look how low you have to go in order to try and support manmat practice of so-called nihangs.
We know why we matha taik to guru sahib. It's living guru and to do bhagti of guru sahib in nine forms but many sikhs ignore sargun and nirgun saroop forms of vahiguroo they treat it as idol totally ignoring nine forms of bhagti hence my comment and then you also have many who matha taik to only larivaar saroop of guru sahib and walk out when its pad ched parkash again totally missing bhagti aspect and stuck in technicalities of it.

What good will killing a chicken do? That' proves nothing. Instead they should have something like a physical test like being able to shoot from an x number of yards or being able to do 100 pushups :wow: During the olden times, the Nihangs were like the elite of Sikh armies. They were the best and most skilled at warfare of the time. Sadly, Nihangs have been unable to transition their warrior heritage and project it into modern battle field tactics and weaponry. They are stuck in the past. A Nihang of today should ideally be as trained as a US Navi Seal if not better.

A Sikh of today should maintain his traditional warrior mindset by training in modern warfare/combat. Even in our recent Sangarsh, many Kharkoos were ex cops and soldiers, so they were able to use their combat training for the Panth at it's hour of need and train other young Singhs in the process.

The sword is a sacred weapon for the Sikhs, but realities of modern warfare should not be ignored.

Sayi gall dassaan, kal hee main sochijanda si je Sikh navy vich admit hunde, main doctry di pardai kar-ke main navy seal banja.

That would be amazing bro, I really would do it lol