Italy Vacation

Sikhistan

I went there few years back with wife, was great place, amazing architect and overall great place to visit. We got the train from the airport which was very easy and saved taxi fares. Hotel was in centre so all places easily accessible. We used public transport (buses) which were fine and also a tour bus for 2 days.

Some points to note:

• Don’t keep your kirpan on show, you won’t be doing yourself or other visiting Sikhs any favours lol
  • Airport is quite strict, they detected my sly but didn’t say anything but knew about kirpan
  • We used taxi from train station to hotel not knowing how far we were. The taxi driver ripped us off and charged 15 euros. Initially he wanted 30 and I haggled, so make sure you don’t take price first given. The journey was literally 30 seconds, but he blagged it and drove around pretending eh could find it
  • I got pickpocketed by Romanian girls..yes embarrassing, couldn’t be more than 12..be very careful, if they approach you don’t take hands out of pocket and DON’T FEEL SORRY FOR THEM LIKE I DID ..just walk and even shout if u have to so they go away, they will tug your arms to try to get your hands out on the pretence they asking begging.
  • I didn’t go into Vatican as had kirpan and didn’t want the hassle, far as I know they won't let you in so I wouldn’t bother with arguing as could escalate to Police and ruin your break
  • Food wise Pizza is available absolutely everywhere and you can go for basic margarita which is delicious, depends how strict you are if your amritdharee I guess. But make sure they don’t use egg in it so get familiar with Italian term for egg
  • Apart from that all good and great place to go

ENJOY

Are you planning a whole week just in Rome ??

I think you only need a weekend 3 days or 3.5 days max !

Yes, in most places in Europe you should never pay the full taxi price !

If too shy to haggle then offer the euros first and say take me to so...so..so.. for so,so euros !

Yeah it's very common for drivers to take longer routes and pretend like they don't know where they are going. Learn some routes if you can and try to stop drivers ripping you off. As everyone else said kirpan might cause some trouble. Learn the word for vegetarian etc. so you can communicate about your diet. Rome is a really nice city though, have fun.

I went there few years back with wife, was great place, amazing architect and overall great place to visit. We got the train from the airport which was very easy and saved taxi fares. Hotel was in centre so all places easily accessible. We used public transport (buses) which were fine and also a tour bus for 2 days.

Some points to note:

• Don’t keep your kirpan on show, you won’t be doing yourself or other visiting Sikhs any favours lol
  • Airport is quite strict, they detected my sly but didn’t say anything but knew about kirpan
  • We used taxi from train station to hotel not knowing how far we were. The taxi driver ripped us off and charged 15 euros. Initially he wanted 30 and I haggled, so make sure you don’t take price first given. The journey was literally 30 seconds, but he blagged it and drove around pretending eh could find it
  • I got pickpocketed by Romanian girls..yes embarrassing, couldn’t be more than 12..be very careful, if they approach you don’t take hands out of pocket and DON’T FEEL SORRY FOR THEM LIKE I DID ..just walk and even shout if u have to so they go away, they will tug your arms to try to get your hands out on the pretence they asking begging.
  • I didn’t go into Vatican as had kirpan and didn’t want the hassle, far as I know they won't let you in so I wouldn’t bother with arguing as could escalate to Police and ruin your break
  • Food wise Pizza is available absolutely everywhere and you can go for basic margarita which is delicious, depends how strict you are if your amritdharee I guess. But make sure they don’t use egg in it so get familiar with Italian term for egg
  • Apart from that all good and great place to go

ENJOY

Please also advise which Airport to use to depart from Italy to save any turban removal sort of hassles. I believe Milan is a bit nasty in that respect.

What should be the trip itineary, any advise?

Rome is probably the better and most informed airport but they did have some case with a few SInghs about the turbans just a few months ago.

I can't quite remember exactly what the issue was, but a group of Singhs had refused to remove them and were then refused to board a flight !

Milan is on the other side from Rome and is miles away. It's not a very nice airport and even most of the city and it's outskirts are quite rough and rundown although the center is very plush, upmarket and expensive.- but this fashion capital area is just a very small part of Milan itself.

If you want to visit there in addition to Rome, then 2 days is more than enough.

Personally, I wasn't too impressed with Milan when you compare it to Monte Carlo, Monaco. Valencia...