Real Kirtan Instruments?!?!

Guest Sikh

Sat Siri Akaal ji veere,

I just have an urgent question. Can you please tell me which Kirtan instruments were used before the british "Vaaja/Baaja" came? I mean what kind of instruments Guru jis played with , bhai mardana etc..

I really want to learn - I have this strong feeling and this is my only chance because my parents are recently in india and I hope I can beg to them that they can buy me a instrument.. Because I dont kno where to buy..

I just saw a video on youtube

which instrument is this?? Sarangi , Tanti Saaj? I dont know the real diffence please tell me.. I really want to learn it.. because I can identify myself with these vibes and tunes... please!!

I love these deep dark sounding string instruments combined with guru jis bani it is such a BLISS!

I dont know how to explain . I like these deep dark tunes.. and not these happy jarring tunes/sounds.

Here is another example , maybe this can explain more:

thank you for helping me.

And btw: if you ask why I dont go to a local gurudwara : its simple, I live in germany we have no gurudwara near here...

I know it will be difficult to learn on myself etc... but what else I can do ? I have no choice and I really want to ... These tunes just fullify my a place in my heart.. I feel I am lacking something and this is the solution...

Sweet bro, I'm also thinking about getting a taus or dilruba in the near future. From what my friends and Chatanga paji has said you can get it from the price range of 300-800 dollars USD, but the biggest challenge is finding the right one otherwise you'll end up with a no good dabba (box). My advice would be to tell your parents to find a music teacher who plays and take him with them to find an instrument, he can filter out the lemons from the right ones.

When I went to buy a dhol I researched and obsessed consistently (but not continuously :p) for around two years about the wood, shape and exactly what I wanted so when I went to Punjab I found exactly the kind of dhol I wanted for a fair price. I wish I bought a dilruba or taus and a tumbi when I went to Punjab.

The biggest hurdle for me was getting over the daunting negativity from my relatives who said "tu pardai kar putt eho jehe kam ton ki layna?" While I appreciated their concern, my education still is my priority. I don't think they understand the concept of time management and co-curricular activities. That set me back quite a bit on time on stuff I wanted to do and get...anyways that's another subject lol.

Good luck!