What Have We Learnt From 1984?

Mehtab Singh

I don't want to create a rift, but just want to highlight a small story over here.

We just visited a friend who happens to be a very prominent member of one of the most famous Kirtaani Jatha in UK (better not to name), with a choclate box for their kids. With a lot of suspicion, he saw the Choclate Box up and down 3-4 times, and then threw it away outside his home, telling me take it away from here. I asked what happened VeerJee - He said we are Sache Suche Sikhs, we don't eat Eggs, these choclates may have trace of eggs.

I had observed some sort of abrupt behaviour in the past as well, which we used to ignore giving deep respect to the highly religious nature of the family, but an insult of such a sort was an extreme in itself, and from this incident onwards we distanced ourselves from the family ... We also observed other families in the same group during Keertan Smagams look upon normal Sikh folks such as myself (although I am full Keshdhari, but tie beard) as probably 2nd grade or 3rd grade Sikhs.

Bhul Chuk Maaf - but please advise me kidan aaugi UNITY?

I am so delighted that SFJ has joined hands with European Sikh organisations, this UNITY has helped, a step which most of us were missing, one of my friends tried to raise the same point to petition UNO (joining hands with SFJ) in a SikhChannel LIVE program some 4 years earlier but an uneducated presenter (probably Jaswinder his name, if I am not wrong), cut his comments again and again, and after the LIVE show, passed insulting comments to him - Kithon aa gaya BHAPA.

Kidaan aaugi UNITY?

Do you recall how many times you have told this story here.

Forget it and move on and stop holding grudges.

Everyone is not the same.

Do you recall how many times you have told this story here.

Forget it and move on and stop holding grudges.

Everyone is not the same.

One fact ALONE will unite us the day we remember whose children we truly are , our older brothers and sisters tried to remind us in the eighties but we didn't wake up to reality, when will we ?? when our land is turned to a second chernobyl through radiation pollution and our fields a desert through the 'green revolution' the only green was the dollars going into centre's pockets? They are NEVER going to be our well-wishers as we hold a mirror up to their lack of morals, justice, dharm and sach... the people who are downtrodden will be the ones who remember us and bless us. We are the future of this world and we need to stop being timid and looking to others for permission to exist. MY GURU NEVER MAKES MISTAKES >>>>>WE ARE NOT MISTAKES >>>>WE ARE THE KHALSA

One fact ALONE will unite us the day we remember whose children we truly are , our older brothers and sisters tried to remind us in the eighties but we didn't wake up to reality, when will we ?? when our land is turned to a second chernobyl through radiation pollution and our fields a desert through the 'green revolution' the only green was the dollars going into centre's pockets? They are NEVER going to be our well-wishers as we hold a mirror up to their lack of morals, justice, dharm and sach... the people who are downtrodden will be the ones who remember us and bless us. We are the future of this world and we need to stop being timid and looking to others for permission to exist. MY GURU NEVER MAKES MISTAKES >>>>>WE ARE NOT MISTAKES >>>>WE ARE THE KHALSA

Awesome views. If only all Sikhs get the message clear in their minds that we are all children of Guru Gobind Singh and beleive only in One Living Guru.

Guru Granth Sahib, we would become invincible.

• 7 years later...
On 11/4/2013 at 3:47 PM, Mehtab Singh said:

Block 32 in Trilokpuri is well known whenever we talk about 1984. Around 500 Sikhs were massacred in just this one block in less than half an hour. However, it is also known that they put up a tough fight for the mob before the deceptive cops came and asked them to go back to their houses and also disarmed them. These Sikhs trusted the cops and the result is in front of us. In the neighboring block, the Sikhs refused to trust the police and were able to save themselves upto a better extent as compared to Block 32. A similar incident happened in Sarai Rohilla area of Delhi where the Gurdwara Sahib was attacked 8 times on a single day from morning to afternoon but each time the Sikhs pushed back the killer mobs.

Khalsa ji, what have we learnt from this? What is our biggest weapon which our enemies fear and cannot fight? Its our UNITY! Sorry I do not have any strong rhetorical words as I am not a politician, but the evidence is right in front of you. Whenever we have been united and have put up a strong front, our enemies have been shocked. Whether it was Chamkaur Sahib, or Saragarhi, or the battle of Amritsar of June 1984, or some of these incidents of November 1984, they provide us a priceless lesson. UNITY!

If these examples are old and outdated for you, no problem. Look what happened in March 2012. Bhai Rajoana was to be hanged on March 31st, 2012. Sikhs from all over the world UNITED for maybe a week or a little more than a week. The might of the united Sikh qaum was strong enough to make the Indian government put Bhai Rajoanas hanging on hold. I vividly remember how firmly ALL Sikhs came together and roared in one voice. THIS is EXACTLY what our enemies ALWAYS fear and ALWAYS try to damage, our UNITY!

Now the truth is before your eyes. Stay UNITED! I agree we have several internal issues which we cannot resolve any time soon. It may take a good couple of generations to find a resolution to our internal issues. But please, take a lesson from our Misls, our ancestors who like normal human beings did have differences with each other over several issues, but when it came to the Panth, when it was about fighting the enemy, they all UNITED. Who do you think the 40 Singhs were at the battle of Chamkaur Sahib? They all came from different so-called castes and even different parts of what is today India! Yet, they put all that aside and embraced Shaheedi together. Today we sing their glory but forget one of the strongest emotion that kept them going, UNITY!

Mehtab Singh

Nov. 4th, 2013

Of course, certain prolific casteist posters would decry Mehtab Singh Ji as an Amritdhari simply on account of him having been born in a Hindu Punjabi Brahmin family.

But the way we prove we have learnt anything from 1984 is by ensuring that each pind (and locality in the West) only has a single Gurdwara for 100% United Sangats locally within the next  5years instead of these apartheid based golak's set up by Congress since 1984 to divide and rule the Sikh Qaum.

Additionally, given that Pakistan has been gifted $10 Billion by the UK Government since 9/11 which has simply been re-channelled primarily towards terrorism by the Pakistani Army and ISI (despite the UK Government being complicit in the Congress Genocide of Sikhs in the 1980's) then the UK Government need to pay a similar amount in reparations ($10 Billion) to addressing health, education and social issues facing Sikhs in Punjab and India today as a result and Preet Kaur Gill as shadow development secretary in the UK should have pressed for this by now (if more Sikhs lobby her to do so).

On 4/10/2022 at 9:12 AM, CHaamCHrick said:

What Have We Learnt From 1984?

Nothing!!! The Sikh Panth still stands where it was pre-1984 in the sense that there is no unity, collective goal etc! 

there was a time when panth was united under budha dal and tarna dal by Nawab Kapur Singh, when we had a Raaj.. Unfortunately, with the help of goray, committees and jathas got created and joined with outsiders to the Sarbat Khalsa, like Phulkian Misl, to take over gurdwaras and create disunity.

2 minutes ago, ipledgeblue said:

there was a time when panth was united under budha dal and tarna dal by Nawab Kapur Singh, when we had a Raaj.. Unfortunately, with the help of goray, committees and jathas got created and joined with outsiders to the Sarbat Khalsa, like Phulkian Misl, to take over gurdwaras and create disunity.

100 % spot on! Any chance of re-uniting again since their departure and 1984?