Senior Officers 'still Target Other Crimes Above Child Grooming'

Jeevan

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/sep/09/researcher-rotherham-abuse-feared-for-life-police-visit

news.gif
Researcher who uncovered Rotherham abuse 'feared for life' after police visit
Commons committee hears researcher's office was broken into after contact with South Yorkshire police and files went missing
Rotherham-skyline-011.jpg
A report last month found that at least 1,400 young people in Rotherham had been subjected to sexual abuse over a 16-year period. Photograph: Christopher Furlong/Getty Images

A Home Office researcher who uncovered the scale of child sex abuse in Rotherham more than 10 years ago was left in fear of her life after being visited by two South Yorkshire police officers, MPs have been told while taking evidence in private.

The Commons home affairs select committee, meeting in a secret session on Tuesday to protect the identity of the researcher, heard that an office break-in followed the contact from the South Yorkshire officers and her files went missing.

When the MPs put the allegation to the former South Yorkshire chief constable, Meredydd John Hughes, who was deputy head of the force at the time, he said he knew nothing of the Home Office research report and told the committee that he had had "no idea of the scale and scope" of child sexual exploitation in Rotherham.

The committee took the highly unusual step of taking the evidence from witnesses on oath under the 1871 Perjury Act.

A devastating official inquiry report last month found that at least 1,400 young people in Rotherham had been subjected to sexual abuse over a period of 16 years.

Hughes, who was first deputy chief constable and then chief constable of South Yorkshire police for nine years until October 2011, told MPs he felt he had "singularly failed the victims" in Rotherham.

"I am not an idle man… Some of the reports… I frankly felt sick last night when I read them. I am not immune to the ideas that this is a hideous crime and I am deeply embarrassed. But I can say with honesty that at the time that I was both deputy and chief constable, I had no idea of the scale and scope of this type of organised crime."

He later told committee chairman, Keith Vaz: "I take no pleasure from this. I have had a 32-year police career, and yet on this issue I have signalled failed the victims of these criminals and it hurts. It is something that I loathe."

He strenuously denied suggestions from MPs on the committee that he had been grossly incompetent or had been involved in a dereliction of duty, but added: "I do have questions to ask myself. I look on with a sense of horror … I wish I had done more."

But Vaz bluntly told Hughes that he found his evidence "totally unconvincing" and said while his contrition was welcome it needed to go further and his evidence would be referred to the Woolf inquiry into child sexual exploitation.

The Conservative MP, Nicola Blackwood, said the committee had heard evidence in private from the Home Office researcher that her 2002 report had been greeted with hostility by the South Yorkshire police. She said they had heard evidence that the researcher had been contacted by two officers who threatened to pass her name on to the groomers in Rotherham and she had been left in fear of her life.

The Liberal Democrat MP Julian Huppert suggested to the current South Yorkshire chief constable, David Crompton, that there had been an active conspiracy involving police officers and questioned how the public could now trust South Yorkshire police.

Crompton said: "I'm absolutely committed to getting to the bottom of it. If there are any disciplinary matters, and some of these are being raised with me for the first time today, you have my absolute commitment we'll get to the bottom of it."

daily-email-uk.png
  • © 2014 Guardian News and Media Limited or its affiliated companies. All rights reserved.

http://www.theguardi...fe-police-visit

news.gif
Researcher who uncovered Rotherham abuse 'feared for life' after police visit
Commons committee hears researcher's office was broken into after contact with South Yorkshire police and files went missing
Rotherham-skyline-011.jpg
A report last month found that at least 1,400 young people in Rotherham had been subjected to sexual abuse over a 16-year period. Photograph: Christopher Furlong/Getty Images

A Home Office researcher who uncovered the scale of child sex abuse in Rotherham more than 10 years ago was left in fear of her life after being visited by two South Yorkshire police officers, MPs have been told while taking evidence in private.

The Commons home affairs select committee, meeting in a secret session on Tuesday to protect the identity of the researcher, heard that an office break-in followed the contact from the South Yorkshire officers and her files went missing.

When the MPs put the allegation to the former South Yorkshire chief constable, Meredydd John Hughes, who was deputy head of the force at the time, he said he knew nothing of the Home Office research report and told the committee that he had had "no idea of the scale and scope" of child sexual exploitation in Rotherham.

The committee took the highly unusual step of taking the evidence from witnesses on oath under the 1871 Perjury Act.

A devastating official inquiry report last month found that at least 1,400 young people in Rotherham had been subjected to sexual abuse over a period of 16 years.

Hughes, who was first deputy chief constable and then chief constable of South Yorkshire police for nine years until October 2011, told MPs he felt he had "singularly failed the victims" in Rotherham.

"I am not an idle man… Some of the reports… I frankly felt sick last night when I read them. I am not immune to the ideas that this is a hideous crime and I am deeply embarrassed. But I can say with honesty that at the time that I was both deputy and chief constable, I had no idea of the scale and scope of this type of organised crime."

He later told committee chairman, Keith Vaz: "I take no pleasure from this. I have had a 32-year police career, and yet on this issue I have signalled failed the victims of these criminals and it hurts. It is something that I loathe."

He strenuously denied suggestions from MPs on the committee that he had been grossly incompetent or had been involved in a dereliction of duty, but added: "I do have questions to ask myself. I look on with a sense of horror … I wish I had done more."

But Vaz bluntly told Hughes that he found his evidence "totally unconvincing" and said while his contrition was welcome it needed to go further and his evidence would be referred to the Woolf inquiry into child sexual exploitation.

The Conservative MP, Nicola Blackwood, said the committee had heard evidence in private from the Home Office researcher that her 2002 report had been greeted with hostility by the South Yorkshire police. She said they had heard evidence that the researcher had been contacted by two officers who threatened to pass her name on to the groomers in Rotherham and she had been left in fear of her life.

The Liberal Democrat MP Julian Huppert suggested to the current South Yorkshire chief constable, David Crompton, that there had been an active conspiracy involving police officers and questioned how the public could now trust South Yorkshire police.

Crompton said: "I'm absolutely committed to getting to the bottom of it. If there are any disciplinary matters, and some of these are being raised with me for the first time today, you have my absolute commitment we'll get to the bottom of it."

daily-email-uk.png
  • © 2014 Guardian News and Media Limited or its affiliated companies. All rights reserved.

• 1 month later...

Now we know why the Police 'Still Target Other Crimes Above Child Grooming' they don't want to end up arresting their own colleagues\friends!!!

Police sergeant pleads guilty to abusing teenage girl

A BRITISH Transport Police sergeant has pleaded guilty to sexually assaulting a 13-year-old girl.

Mick Defries, 58, of Barnham, appeared at Lewes Crown Court today (December 12) for a preliminary hearing and pleaded guilty to two counts of sexual assault of a female child under 13.

He has been remanded in custody and will be sentenced on January 10.

A British Transport Police spokesman said: “BTP can confirm that Sergeant Defries, who has served with the force for ten years, has been suspended from duty following his arrest and charge by Sussex Police.

“BTP’s professional standard’s department is assisting Sussex Police with their investigation.”

http://www.chichester.co.uk/news/top-stories/latest/police-sergeant-pleads-guilty-to-abusing-teenage-girl-1-5746473

I suggested a while back and I quote my own words, "Now we know why the Police 'Still Target Other Crimes Above Child Grooming' they don't want to end up arresting their own colleagues\friends!!!", sadly I have been proven right on this matter. This prediction brings me no joy as now not only our British children have to contend with organised rapists but the corrupt police who have turned a blind eye and also involved in this hideous evil. I appeal to the decent police officers amongst you, please turn in your evil colleagues who have brought your profession into disrepute and salvage that respect for your once proud profession.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/uk/article4240241.ece

dot.gif

Welcome to your preview of The Times

Subscribe now
Police officer took bribes from grooming gang, claims charity
An independent inquiry has estimated that 1,400 children in the South Yorkshire town were subjected to abuse over 16 years from 1997
Getty Images
  • 8f39543a-5626-11e4-_788135c.jpg
    An independent inquiry has estimated that 1,400 children in the South Yorkshire town were subjected to abuse over 16 years from 1997 Getty Images
Andrew Norfolk and Richard Ford Home Correspondent
Published at 12:01AM, October 18 2014

A corrupt police officer was on the payroll of men who targeted and sexually abused children in Rotherham, a charity worker has claimed.

The rogue officer is said to have passed information to grooming networks, undermining efforts to protect girls and target offenders.

An independent inquiry has estimated that 1,400 children in the South Yorkshire town were subjected to abuse over 16 years from 1997. Victims were often blamed for the crimes committed against them, while “no action was taken on the perpetrators”.

The corruption allegation, against an unnamed police officer, was made in evidence to MPs by a charity

30Days_620x430_teas_754508a.jpg
Subscribe now
Login
Already a subscriber?
Bullying rife at council that ignored child abuse 624b9902-5323-11e4-_785720h.jpg

MPs told that “sexist bullying” designed to put down and undermine women was a feature of Rotherham...

Hundreds of child victims in new sex abuse scandal

Details of more than 400 victims, linked to 105 crimes and 242 suspects, were reported in the ten months to J...

Doubts over evidence of Joyce Thacker, former childcare chief at Rotherham9aceab90-428c-11e4-_773000h.jpg

Joyce Thacker, Rotherham’s former director of children’s services, will be asked by MPs to account for an apparent...

Scandal-hit childcare chief is on sick leave

Joyce Thacker, the £115,000-a-year head of children’s services at Rotherham council, has gone on sick leave days...

Disgraced police commissioner is facing new inquiry

Shaun Wright, the South Yorkshire police and crime commissioner, was warned by MPs to give evidence on oath during...

Shaun Wright resigns over Rotherham scandal - but what took him so long?

Shaun Wright had said that resigning was the easy option. This morning he finally quit - the real surprise is that...

• 1 month later...

The Councillors should go to jail for negliegence!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-30212293?print=true

news-blocks.gif Beds, Herts & Bucks
26 November 2014 Last updated at 17:25 Milton Keynes' reputation 'damaged' by rapist taxi driver case

Granting a serial rapist a taxi licence has damaged Milton Keynes' reputation, the leader of the council has admitted.

Peter Marland called the decision to award Nadeem Kiani a licence a "tragedy".

Two councillors resigned from the licensing committee and former Mayor Subhan Shafiq left the council as a result.

Kiani was given the licence in 2011 despite having four convictions for rape and sexual assault.

Labour's Mr Marland had been speaking at a Milton Keynes Council audit committee meeting to discuss an investigation into the scandal.

"It is the first duty of any local authority to protect its citizens and we failed," he said.

Kiani committed his crimes in 1994 and served four years of a eight year sentence.

An investigation of the case has revealed serious flaws in the taxi licensing policy.

It concluded councillors who had allowed Kiani to work in the city had not actually broken the policy's terms, but their conduct had led to questions over whether he was a "fit and proper" person to drive a taxi.

Reputation 'destroyed'

Kiani's licence had previously been briefly suspended after further details of how he had raped prostitutes in London were revealed, in 2012.

But a second committee later lifted that suspension and a council officer granted Kiani a hackney carriage licence.

The chairman and vice-chairman of that second committee, Lib Dem Stuart Burke and Labour's Gladstone McKenzie, resigned in August.

At the meeting on Tuesday, calls have been made for Lib Dem leader Douglas McCall to resign over his backing of Mr Shafiq's decision to support Kiani.

Former council leader, Conservative Andrew Geary, said the Lib-Dems had "destroyed" the city's reputation, by failing to act quickly over the scandal.

He said: "Douglas has left himself in an impossible position. There is only one thing he can do and that is stand down.

"He has left the reputation of this city in a very poor place. It is dented and damaged."

But Lib Dem Ric Brackenbury said taxi licensing procedures had been "so far behind what they should have been".

The report identified processes whereby councillors had been sitting in meetings without having read the papers and had been called up as last minute replacements.

Mr McCall was unavailable for comment because of illness.

dark.png

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

27 November 2014 Last updated at 14:45 Bristol sex gangs jailed for grooming girls

Thirteen men have been convicted of a string of child sex crimes in Bristol involving the abuse, rape and prostitution of teenage girls.

Bristol Crown Court heard one victim, aged 16, was assaulted by five Somali men after she was moved to the city while in the care of another authority.

Her 14-year-old sister was raped by a member of the gang while visiting her.

The inquiry led to police uncovering another gang of Somali origin who had been abusing four other girls.

The four teenagers were paid £30 or given drugs, alcohol and gifts to perform sex acts on older men from the Somali community.

'Shocked and shaken'

The court heard some were persuaded to have sex with other gang members as they were told by the gang it was Somali "culture and tradition" and "men always have sex with each other's girlfriends".

One 13-year-old victim was raped four times by three different men in a Premier Inn in Bristol city centre.

A statement from the Bristol Somali community said: "The community is deeply shocked and shaken by the outcome of this case. They are unforgivable acts of cruelty against the most vulnerable members of our community."

The thirteen men, all from Bristol, were convicted of charges including rape, sexual activity with a child, facilitating child prostitution, trafficking and paying for the sexual services of a child.

Six were jailed following a trial during the summer. The remaining seven were convicted on Wednesday.

Details of the two cases - which found grooming and abuse dating back to 2011 - can only now be revealed after reporting restrictions were lifted.

The first trial centred on a group of drug dealers from the Easton area and their exploitation of primarily one teenage girl.

She had been moved into a flat on her own in the city and left almost unsupervised by social workers from outside the area.

The second trial focused on another group of young men and their grooming and subsequent sexual abuse of young girls.

Tried in July and sentenced for up to 13 years in jail:

• Mustapha Farah, 21, Liban Abdi, 22, and Arafat Osman, 20, were each jailed for 13 years for paying for the sexual services of a child and supplying Class A drugs
  • Abdulahi Aden, 20, was jailed for 13 years for rape and supplying Class A drugs
  • Mustafa Deria, 22, was found guilty of rape and was jailed for seven-and-a-half years
  • Idleh Osman, 22, was jailed for 10 years for facilitating child prostitution and supplying Class A drugs

Tried in November and due to be sentenced on Friday:

• Sakariah Sheik, 21, Abdirashid Abdulahi, 21, and Jusuf Abdirizak, 20, were found guilty of rape
  • Mohamed Dahir, 22, was found guilty of causing child prostitution
  • Omar Jumale, 20, was found guilty of having sex with a child
  • Said Zakaria, 22 was found guilty of rape and having sex with a child
  • Mohamed Jumale, age 24, was found guilty of sex with a child
Crying under a sink

Speaking in July, Judge Michael Roach said the gang took "considerable advantage" of the 16-year-old sister who had been moved to Bristol by a council, which cannot be named in order to protect her identity.

"I hope there will be an opportunity for the authorities to reconsider their thinking behind such a placement because it has, on any retrospective view, added considerably to the damage of that young person," he said.

The teenager had been ordered by a court to live outside her home area and was placed in "supported living accommodation".

Social workers had "very real concerns" about her and tried to persuade her to leave but "she refused to".

The abused girl's five-month ordeal ended when police went to her flat looking for her sister who had been reported missing.

The 14-year-old sibling was found crying in a cupboard under the kitchen sink in just her underwear.

"One of the women police officers went to speak to her and she said that one of the men had forced himself on her, he had raped her," prosecutor Anna Vigars said in court.

An independent serious case review into her care is now being carried out.

dark.png

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

It is a sad sad fact that in this country (UK) the children's charities get a sizable proportion less donations than animal related charities . It is apparent from police investigations, social services interventions that children are left in monsterously cruel situations because the authorities feels that they are too much bother. If a society is to be measured by the compassion it shows to its weakest members the western world is beraham and besharam.

• 3 weeks later...

This man whilst Director of Public Prosecutions presided over the child grooming in his own words he stated," A generation of girls was betrayed by the justice system’s flawed approach to sexual exploitation".

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/uk/crime/article3577555.ece

A vote for Labour is a vote for child groomers it seems.

http://www.theguardian.com/law/2014/dec/13/keir-starmer-stand-labour-mp-holborn-st-pancras

news.gif
Keir Starmer to stand for Labour in Holborn and St Pancras
Former director of public prosecutions will fight safe Labour seat, replacing the former Cabinet minister Frank Dobson
Keir-Starmer-009.jpgSir Keir Starmer saw off four challengers to win the right to contest the Holborn and St Pancras seat, being vacated after 34 years. Photograph: James Drew Turner

The former director of public prosecutions Sir Keir Starmer has been selected to fight a safe Labour seat in next year’s general election.

The human rights lawyer saw off four challengers to win the right to contest the Holborn and St Pancras seat being vacated by the former Cabinet minister Frank Dobson after 34 years.

Earlier this week, he received the endorsement of the former Labour leader, Neil Kinnock who praised his “courage, integrity and principles”.

The other candidates in the race to defend Dobson’s 9,942 majority in the central London constituency were lawyer Raj Chada, council leader Sarah Hayward, doctor Patrick French and West Hampstead councillor Angela Pobe.