Tirath As Per Gurbani

panthicunity

Tirath (pilgrimages) as per gurmat

Naam and Contemplation of Guru's word is the only tirath we need

ਤੀਰਥਿ ਨਾਵਣ ਜਾਉ ਤੀਰਥੁ ਨਾਮੁ ਹੈ ॥

tirath naavan jaa-o tirath naam hai.

Why should I bathe at sacred shrines of pilgrimage? The Naam, the Name of the Lord, is the sacred shrine of pilgrimage.

ਤੀਰਥੁ ਸਬਦ ਬੀਚਾਰੁ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਗਿਆਨੁ ਹੈ ॥

tirath sabad beechaar antar gi-aan hai.

My sacred shrine of pilgrimage is spiritual wisdom within, and contemplation on the Word of the Shabad.

If you are true and pure there is no cleansing/bathing required -

ਸਾਚਿ ਨ ਲਾਗੈ ਮੈਲੁ ਕਿਆ ਮਲੁ ਧੋਈਐ ॥

saach na laagai mail ki-aa mal Dho-ee-ai.

Filth does not stick to the true ones; what filth do they have to wash off?

Wandering and bathing does not get us close to lord -

ਜੋਗੁ ਨ ਦੇਸਿ ਦਿਸੰਤਰਿ ਭਵਿਐ ਜੋਗੁ ਨ ਤੀਰਥਿ ਨਾਈਐ ॥

jog na days disantar bhavi-ai jog na tirath naa-ee-ai.

Yoga is not wandering through foreign lands; Yoga is not bathing at sacred shrines of pilgrimage.

ਅੰਜਨ ਮਾਹਿ ਨਿਰੰਜਨਿ ਰਹੀਐ ਜੋਗ ਜੁਗਤਿ ਇਵ ਪਾਈਐ ॥੨॥

anjan maahi niranjan rahee-ai jog jugat iv paa-ee-ai. ||2||

Remaining unblemished in the midst of the filth of the world - this is the way to attain Yoga. ||2||

Says Namdev, once he realized Naam , he understood futility of Tiraths and empty rituals such as ekadeshi brat -

ਰਾਮ ਸੰਗਿ ਨਾਮਦੇਵ ਜਨ ਕਉ ਪ੍ਰਤਗਿਆ ਆਈ ॥

raam sang naamdayv jan ka-o partagi-aa aa-ee.

With the Lord, servant Naam Dayv has come to have faith.

ਏਕਾਦਸੀ ਬ੍ਰਤੁ ਰਹੈ ਕਾਹੇ ਕਉ ਤੀਰਥ ਜਾਈ ॥੧॥

aykaadasee barat rahai kaahay ka-o tirath jaa-eeN. ||1||

I have stopped fasting on the eleventh day of each month; why should I bother to go on pilgrimages to sacred shrines? ||1||

So we should not be going to darbar sahib for tirath darshan and take a ishanan at amritsar sarovar? Its thats what you implying?. Shabad talks about this from intermediate stage perspective giving updesh to seeker go introvert and explore shabad naam within and its not doing khandan of intial physical spiritual stages of tirath- ethahisik gurughar tirath darshan. In Gurmat, shabad,advait-gyan/nirgun and sargun are not separate they are blended beautifully together. So therefore, one cannot use one aspect of shabad and use it against other aspect of shabad and gurmat sidhant.

Why don't you see things in stages? I am upasakh of shabad gyan as well but i could not even dream of doing khandan of other aspects of gurmat at all, lets rise above from missionary approach please, start understanding things in stages and bind/blend them together as one (sargun + nirgun = Ik0ngkar) as its done beautifully in Gurmat.

• 7 years later...

On a side note, these tukhs are talking about Vedic teeraths and should not be imposed upon Gur Asthans. In Sikh tradition it is clear that the land where Guru ji rested is worthy of worship and respect and has Shaheedi Pehra of Shaheed Singhs. 

It is not wise to cut down ones own religious traditions by taking out of context Gurbani Tukhs meant for aan mats (other religions). That's almost like presenting Tukhs pointing towards the futility of reading Vedas and Quran and saying this also implies to Gurbani and so we should stop doing paath of Bani. That is what missionaries do.

I was trying to find the meaning of Tirath after yesterdays evening Hukamnama Sri Harmandar Sahib Amritsar

ਸੋਰਠਿ ਮਹਲਾ ੯ ॥

Sorat'h, Ninth Mehl:

ਮਨ ਕੀ ਮਨ ਹੀ ਮਾਹਿ ਰਹੀ ॥

The mind remains in the mind.

ਨਾ ਹਰਿ ਭਜੇ ਨ ਤੀਰਥ ਸੇਵੇ ਚੋਟੀ ਕਾਲਿ ਗਹੀ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

He does not meditate on the Lord, nor does he perform service at sacred shrines, and so death seizes him by the hair. ||1||Pause||

http://beta.igurbani.com/shabad/2395?verseId=27537

After googling I came across this old post hence the reply.

There are several verses in Gurbani which are pro conventional definition of Tirath ie 

ਜਿਤਨੇ ਭਗਤ ਹਰਿ ਸੇਵਕਾ ਮੁਖਿ ਅਠਸਠਿ ਤੀਰਥ ਤਿਨ ਤਿਲਕੁ ਕਢਾਇ ॥
All of the devotees and servants of the Lord have the tilak, the ceremonial mark, applied to their foreheads at the sixty-eight sacred shrines of pilgrimage.

http://beta.igurbani.com/shabad/2799?verseId=31491

ਹਰਿ ਮੰਦਰੁ ਹਰਿ ਸਾਜਿਆ ਹਰਿ ਵਸੈ ਜਿਸੁ ਨਾਲਿ ॥
The Lord built the Harimandir, the Temple of the Lord; the Lord dwells within it.

SGGS: By Guru Amar Das Ji in Salok Varan Thay Vadhekh (mhlw 3) on Ang 1418

There is no right or wrong, which ever bears fruit is fine ?