Can A Sikh Read The Bible?

fresnosingh

Nothing wrong at all. I am a friendly visitor to an old Christian lady. I visit her weekly and sometimes read bible verses and hymns to her. In this way, I get to read Bible and find many similarities with Sikhi. There are differences but I like to focus more on similarities.

Sikhi is not a conservative religion where if you read other religion's books you become polluted and impure. A sikh is a student. A student of Guru Granth Sahibji. It is ok to read other religious books too just to be more educated and more tolerant towards other religions :smile2:

Nothing wrong at all. I am a friendly visitor to an old Christian lady. I visit her weekly and sometimes read bible verses and hymns to her. In this way, I get to read Bible and find many similarities with Sikhi. There are differences but I like to focus more on similarities.

Sikhi is not a conservative religion where if you read other religion's books you become polluted and impure. A sikh is a student. A student of Guru Granth Sahibji. It is ok to read other religious books too just to be more educated and more tolerant towards other religions :smile2:

Can you please elaborate what similarities you have found in the Bible with Sikhi?

I recommend that you read it if you have the time and interest.

I was raised within british goreys when the bible was a fundamental central point of traditional schooling.

There are similarities in some of the spoken words and it would be interesting to see if you find any more.

The most famous is in John, where it says something like ''In the beginning was the WORD and the word was with God''.

Then of course, ''Your body is your temple''...........

There are also many other phrases that are completely in line with Hukam and Gurmat in my opinion.

It would be interesting and comforting to see the different ones you may find.

Problem with most Abrahamic religions is the literal translations that they have used over the years.

These in turn end up giving wrong impressions and meanings.

I always find it interesting if you try and see if there are some higher metaphoric reasons and meanings. For example, I personally believe that Adam and EVe is about not just a man and woman, but about Adam the man who is tempted by the serpent which in turn represents MAYA.

They say that the results are that mankind continues to live in sin, but it is more about how The SOUL leaves the home of God and gets married and born into the world of maya and ego.

So the garden of eden is the True abode of God or sachkhand, and the exclusion is our tie with the serpent of maya.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

There are some confusing aspects of the bible and the idea of heaven. For example, can your favourite pet (or other animals) go to heaven with you? I believe the answer is no, as Christians (and perhaps Muslims) believe animals do not have a soul. But then would it be heaven for you? (feel free to correct if wrong)

There are different aspects in other religons that we take for granted in Sikhi. However, each to their own, live and let live.

It doesn't hurt to inquire about other religion's and learn to improve one's self. Although, one should try and question the need to look elsewhere when you have what you need in front of you.

correct me if i am wrong in bible its also written that god first created double edged sword and from it world was created

No

That's i in chandi di vaar.

ਖੰਡਾ ਪ੍ਰਿਥਮੈ ਸਾਜ ਕੈ ਜਿਨ ਸਭ ਸੈਸਾਰੁ ਉਪਾਇਆ ॥

खंडा प्रिथमै साज कै जिन सभ सैसारु उपाइआ ॥

At first the Lord created the double-edged sword and then He created the whole world.

ਬ੍ਰਹਮਾ ਬਿਸਨੁ ਮਹੇਸ ਸਾਜਿ ਕੁਦਰਤਿ ਦਾ ਖੇਲੁ ਰਚਾਇ ਬਣਾਇਆ ॥

ब्रहमा बिसनु महेस साजि कुदरति दा खेलु रचाइ बणाइआ ॥

He created Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva and then created the play of Nature.

Their resources are very good though. We could learn a thing or two. They print things in all languages so anyone can read it, we should do that. There are many people out there who want to learn about SIkhi but can't because resources are so bad.

I've read it. Nothing bad about it. I think Guru Gobind Singh encouraged Sikhs to learn about other faiths and study their texts to gain knowledge (correct me if I'm wrong).

I've read it. Nothing bad about it. I think Guru Gobind Singh encouraged Sikhs to learn about other faiths and study their texts to gain knowledge + but always keep faith in Guru Di Baani.......