Bhai Jodh Ji Ate Jhoot To Rid Of His Ego

N30S1NGH

https://www.facebook.com/DailySikhUpdates1?hc_location=timeline

1452557_603980179661975_1464055792_n.jpg

Bhai Jodh Ji was intellectual and held knowledge. He came to visit Guru Angad Jee's darbaar (court). He experienced happiness, which he never felt before. Everyday Bhai Jodh would listen to Guru's Keertan and sermon and then go to the Langar Hall, where he would wash all the jhoote bhaandey (dirty dishes) of the Sangat.

The GurSikhs saw that Bhai Jodh does a lot of Sewa but he does not sit in Pangat (with the congregation) to eat Langar. It must be because he is a Brahman and thinks he is higher than us that he doesn't eat with rest of Guru's Sangat. The GurSikhs reported this to Guru Angad. "Guru Angad Jee, Bhai Jodh does a lot of Sewa but he does not eat Langar in Pangat". Guru Angad Jee called Bhai Jodh to see him. Bhai Jodh arrived in the presence of the Guru.

Guru Angad Jee asked him, 'Bhai Jodh is it true that you do not eat in the Pangat like the rest of the Sangat?' 'No Maharaj! I do eat in the Sangat,' replied Bhai Jodh. The GurSikhs said, 'see, now he is a liar as well!" The Guru told Bhai Jodh, "you are holding something from me. When do you eat your Langar? Tell me."

Bhai Jodh, now had tears in his eyes and he told the Guru infront of the GurSikhs, 'Maharaj, when I clean the dirty dishes of the Sangat, sometimes people leave jhoot (left overs). I collect the jhoot of the Sangat in a small bowl. When all the Sangat leave, I then eat the left over jhoot.'

The listeners by where shocked to hear this, they thought Bhai Jodh didn't eat the rest because of his pride and ego. But they were wrong, how could a person be so humble and consider themselves so low. Guru Jee asked Bhai Jodh, 'O Sikh, why do eat the left overs of the Sangat. What makes you eat Jhoot?"

Bhai Jodh replied, "Maharaj, when I came to see you for the first time, I had a ego and pride that I was an educated Brahman. But I heard from you Guru Jee, that when we have hankaar (ego) we cannot obtain the happiness. Maharaj I hear from you that you don't like maan (pride) and hankaar (ego)." "I put jhoot in the mouth of hankaar , in the mouth of my Ego, the thing that doesn't let me get happiness", said Bhai Jodh.

"Don't say that Bhai Jodh!" replied the Guru. "Your sins have been washed, the Guru now dwells within you".

The next day, Bhai Jodh sat in the Pangat (congregation) and ate Langar.

Some people come to the Gurdwara just to criticise and pick up faults of people, we see this today . To get happiness (kushiaan) it is hard. You have to endure lots – sewa (selfless service), simran (meditation) as well as criticism as this is the sign of living in Kaljug (era of falsehood).

The GurSikhs who reported Bhai Jodh the day before saw him eating in the Pangat. They told him, "Why are you eating in the Pangat? Has the leftovers (jhoot) finished or something? We knew you were a Pakandee, a fake."

Now the reply Bhai Jodh said was heart moving (in Bairaag). "I ate Jooth before because I had ego and pride within me. But now within me is the Guru (the Guru's teachings were enshrined in his heart). You can put a dirty spoon in the mouth of Ego. Ego used to dwell within me. But when I look within me now, when I contemplate within now, I see only the Guru and only feel the Guru . When I eat I, I eat for the Guru, I feed Guru within. I cannot feed my Guru jhoot so I cannot feed my Guru jhoot which resides within me."

Guru Angad Maharaj Jee over heard this conversation. He hugged and embraced Bhai Jodh Jee.

'jodh rasoeeaa devthaa gur saevaa kar dhuthar thaaree||'
à Jodh, the cook, served the Guru and swam across the world ocean.
(Bhai Gurdas ji vaar 11th Vaar, Pauree 15)
Via Tuhitu Blog

I would be very careful of taking this story as true without any real proof to say it actually happen.

'jodh rasoeeaa devthaa gur saevaa kar dhuthar thaaree||'

à Jodh, the cook, served the Guru and swam across the world ocean.

(Bhai Gurdas ji vaar 11th Vaar, Pauree 15)

http://searchgurbani.com/bhai_gurdas_vaaran/vaar/11/pauri/15

ਜੋਧੁ ਰਸੋਈਆ ਦੇਵਤਾ ਗੁਰ ਸੇਵਾ ਕਰਿ ਦੁਤਰ ਤਾਰੀ।

Jodh, the cook, served the Guru and swam across the world ocean.

ਪੂਰੈ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਪੈਜ ਸਵਾਰੀ ॥੧੫॥

The perfect Guru maintained their honour.

http://searchgurbani.com/bhai_gurdas_vaaran/vaar/11/pauri/15

ਜੋਧੁ ਰਸੋਈਆ ਦੇਵਤਾ ਗੁਰ ਸੇਵਾ ਕਰਿ ਦੁਤਰ ਤਾਰੀ।

Jodh, the cook, served the Guru and swam across the world ocean.

ਪੂਰੈ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਪੈਜ ਸਵਾਰੀ ॥੧੫॥

The perfect Guru maintained their honour.

Thank you for providing the Vaar again, but I read the Vaar before writing on this discussion and Bhai Gurdas Ji Vaar does not say anything about Bhai Jodh eating jhoot of another. Instead we have Hukams telling us not to eat Jhoot. A deeper look at Gurbani needs to be conducted here so a clearer picture can be developed. So far the main point that others want to reflect as the truth has not been substantiated.

Vahiguroo works through mysterious ways cannot be confined to follow christian like 20 commandments written on stone meant to be applied/enforced (do or die) all across the board sorry i don't have any other sugar coat word left in dictionary to way to put this fwd so it does not struck chord with people.

It is an exception or higher state of mind based on whats being perceived in bhai jodh singh dristhi (vision). So generic frame work rules should be looked in form of stages not rigidly apply all across the board doubting the above sakhi.

Similarly, there are many specific rules in many rehit namas regarding interaction with enemy /in dharam yudh - turkhs etc but then we have examples from history - bhai ghaniya ji gurmukh gursikh of avastha of advait- ek dristh avastha- feeding water/apply medical aid bluntly to enemies(same enemy that attacked and killed singhs/gurughar) openly in the battle field spontaneously automatically defying sharia/rules exist in dharma which when complained not only guru maharaj was happy and gave him medical aid package as gift to apply further to more people (enemy or freind alike) but gave bachan to bhai ghaniya ji many inspired sikhs from you will do seva like this. May Vahiguroo ji give us all this ek dristh avastha of bhai ghaniya ji -

ਬਿਸਰਿ ਗਈ ਸਭ ਤਾਤਿ ਪਰਾਈ ॥
Bisar Gee Sabh Thaath Paraaee ||
बिसरि गई सभ ताति पराई ॥
I have totally forgotten my jealousy of others,

ਜਬ ਤੇ ਸਾਧਸੰਗਤਿ ਮੋਹਿ ਪਾਈ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
Jab Thae Saadhhasangath Mohi Paaee ||1|| Rehaao ||
जब ते साधसंगति मोहि पाई ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥
Since I found the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy. ||1||Pause||

ਨਾ ਕੋ ਬੈਰੀ ਨਹੀ ਬਿਗਾਨਾ ਸਗਲ ਸੰਗਿ ਹਮ ਕਉ ਬਨਿ ਆਈ ॥੧॥
Naa Ko Bairee Nehee Bigaanaa Sagal Sang Ham Ko Ban Aaee ||1||
ना को बैरी नही बिगाना सगल संगि हम कउ बनि आई ॥१॥
No one is my enemy, and no one is a stranger. I get along with everyone. ||1||

ਜੋ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਕੀਨੋ ਸੋ ਭਲ ਮਾਨਿਓ ਏਹ ਸੁਮਤਿ ਸਾਧੂ ਤੇ ਪਾਈ ॥੨॥
Jo Prabh Keeno So Bhal Maaniou Eaeh Sumath Saadhhoo Thae Paaee ||2||
जो प्रभ कीनो सो भल मानिओ एह सुमति साधू ते पाई ॥२॥
Whatever God does, I accept that as good. This is the sublime wisdom I have obtained from the Holy. ||2||

ਸਭ ਮਹਿ ਰਵਿ ਰਹਿਆ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਏਕੈ ਪੇਖਿ ਪੇਖਿ ਨਾਨਕ ਬਿਗਸਾਈ ॥੩॥੮॥
Sabh Mehi Rav Rehiaa Prabh Eaekai Paekh Paekh Naanak Bigasaaee ||3||8||
सभ महि रवि रहिआ प्रभु एकै पेखि पेखि नानक बिगसाई ॥३॥८॥
The One God is pervading in all. Gazing upon Him, beholding Him, Nanak blossoms forth in happiness. ||3||8||

In more recent times, a mahapurkh called Baba Fateh Singh Ji stayed at Sri Anandpur and would do seva all day in langar but eat nothing really.

At the end of the day, Baba Fateh Singh Ji would pick up all the tiny pieces of langar off the floor (such as grains of dhaal, parshadaa pieces and other crumbs etc) and put them in a baataa (bowl). Then they would mix them together and compress them then eat them.

This saint obtained Brahmgiani through only one with such an high avastha can do something like that.

Please comment if name of Sant or other details

are incorrect. Thanks.