Free Will, Hukam, Karam?

TheFancyBanana

I'm confused, someone said people have no free will. Do we have free will? Or does God do everything? So do we make a decision to Jap Naam, or does waheguru make certain people jap naam? If wahguru does make everything happen then why do we get good or bad karam? We did not choose to do something, waheguru made us do it. So why are we rewarded or punished for that deed?

Or did that guy get it completely wrong?

We do have free will, up to a certain extent, but we under the heavy influence of Kaam/krodh/lobh/moh/ahankar. How many times have done something, knowing full well that it's wrong, but we couldn't resist temptation?

Waheguru makes us do manmatt {sins}, when we are under the influence of the above 5. Our committed deeds accumulate, from one life to the next. At some stage, Waheguru does daya, and attches us to Satguru, who in turn attaches us to Waheguru, Naam is the Bramh Agni {fire} that burns our Prarabdh {past deeds}, to a cinder, rendering it useless, and thus liberating us from the pain and misery.

If you have the desire to Japp Naam, then consider yourself to be blessed by Satguru; if you don't yet have that dsire, then do Ardas to Satguru, to bless you with it...

Waheguru....

I'm confused, someone said people have no free will. Do we have free will? Or does God do everything? So do we make a decision to Jap Naam, or does waheguru make certain people jap naam? If wahguru does make everything happen then why do we get good or bad karam? We did not choose to do something, waheguru made us do it. So why are we rewarded or punished for that deed?

Or did that guy get it completely wrong?

Nah there isn't I used to think loads whether we had free will or not. I came to conclusion we don't cos of the karmic paradox and other reasons. Lets say when we were first created by god be it either this lifetime is our first or lets say this is our 1000000th lifetime. So we have 1000000 lifetimes of karam that we have to wash out. But surely when we were first created we must not have had any karam to start of with. Therefore we must of been perfect when we were first created as it is believed by many that the aim of naam simran or meditation is to burn of previous sins. Say we burn of all our sins we reach the same point of when we were first created; some call this liberation.

So when we were first created we had no karma so who caused us to make that wrong decision or wrong action that led us to do bad actions? If we say it was our free will then the theory of burning our previous karma by naam is invalid as if we did our free will once liberated will still cause us to do bad actions therefore no liberation. We got to remember that when we were first created we had no karma so our free will should not be tainted by negative karma. So how have these bad actions all begun the answer is only God has caused us to do them and in the same way he causes us to do good.

Nah there isn't I used to think loads whether we had free will or not. I came to conclusion we don't cos of the karmic paradox and other reasons. Lets say when we were first created by god be it either this lifetime is our first or lets say this is our 1000000th lifetime. So we have 1000000 lifetimes of karam that we have to wash out. But surely when we were first created we must not have had any karam to start of with. Therefore we must of been perfect when we were first created as it is believed by many that the aim of naam simran or meditation is to burn of previous sins. Say we burn of all our sins we reach the same point of when we were first created; some call this liberation.

So when we were first created we had no karma so who caused us to make that wrong decision or wrong action that led us to do bad actions? If we say it was our free will then the theory of burning our previous karma by naam is invalid as if we did our free will once liberated will still cause us to do bad actions therefore no liberation. We got to remember that when we were first created we had no karma so our free will should not be tainted by negative karma. So how have these bad actions all begun the answer is only God has caused us to do them and in the same way he causes us to do good.

+1

This is a very deep subject, many opposing views in the world of philosophy.

Would be interesting to see what an accomplished GurSikh Saint has to say backed up with Gurmat. I've seen both sides and I actually have a scenario in my head that I believe may either refute concept of no free will or add more questions.

Also if we had free will it would mean that we have our own unique independent choice or action that no other person can know about before we do it. Free should mean without any external influence but this cannot be. The problem with this theory is that then God should not also know what action we are going to do if God knew what we were going to do then it is not free will but preordained destiny. This would also make God not all powerful as he doesn't know your free will.

Also if we had free will it would mean that we have our own unique independent choice or action that no other person can know about before we do it. Free should mean without any external influence but this cannot be. The problem with this theory is that then God should not also know what action we are going to do if God knew what we were going to do then it is not free will but preordained destiny. This would also make God not all powerful as he doesn't know your free will.

You are so right.+1

I've seen both sides of the argument, Sam Harris presents a pretty good argument for no free will using biology/biochem.

What my problem is this, say for example you would be able to simulate reality for an individual person and clone it 1,000,000,000,000 times over for a situation with 100.00000000000000000000% exact same conditions in the Universe down to the smallest particle and time would the situation a person is in play out the same way each time?

For example if you were sitting in class and this situation was multiplied X times with the same exact conditions in the Universe and you chose to leave class early, would this happen in all the 1,000,000,000,000 times with the same exact conditions leading up to that decision?

I thought about this specific situation in philosophy class last semester and it bothered me since.