Why My Husband Doesn't Share His Sikh Knowledge With Me?

Guest hkd

Hi all!

I'm a spanish girl married to sikh punjabi guy. For us everything worked out very well. We met here in europe, quickly fell in love, got engaged. We travelled to india seeking his parents blessings. We got them and we got married. My relationship with his (now mine) family is perfect. His parents are now my own, his bhabhi is now my sister and i his nephews like my own children. If i had to choose one word to describe the last two years of my life would be LOVE!

When i was in india i learned a lot about sikhism, to be honest i felt that i was a sikh before i even knew that word. I've been a vegetarian for many years, i ve always been involve in charity events, my parents had rised me without any prejudice, and i love meditation. So now i found this religion that had so many things in common with the way I understand life. So i began to get interested.

The problem is that my husband is not interested. He doesn't share his knowledge with me. I 'm a bit lost because i don't even know where to start. I'm reading books and checking many websites but i miss to have someone to talk to. To discuss,to share my feeling about this religion im embracing.

Any idea of why he acts like that? Everything else between us is great.

He also don't want to talk about having babies. But i don't think this has anything to do with that.

When we go to gurdwara i have so many questions....and he looks annoyed when i start. Where we live there is only sikh boys (not girls or families), and the other gori wifes are not interested in sikhi.

I'm feeling a bit lonely in this journey...

hkd.

Can confirm. Hardly any guys from Punjab know about their faith as not much is done to teach kids. So as VanHelSingh Ji said, he probably feels ashamed by his lack of knowledge. There is cyber sangat (this forum for example) and some online resources you can use. Basics of Sikhi youtube channel is a good place to start.

Guest dasguruka

I don't think it's his lack of knowledge. Maybe he doesn't want you to get too interested Into Sikhi and to the point where you want to baptize. Meaning he has to baptize too.

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

• Topics

• yeh it's true, we shouldn't be lazy and need to learn jhatka shikaar. It doesn't help some of grew up in surrounding areas like Slough and Southall where everyone thought it was super bad for amrit dharis to eat meat, and they were following Sant babas and jathas, and instead the Singhs should have been normalising jhatka just like the recent world war soldiers did. We are trying to rectifiy this and khalsa should learn jhatka.  But I am just writing about bhog for those that are still learning rehit. As I explained, there are all these negative influences in the panth that talk against rehit, but this shouldn't deter us from taking khanda pahul, no matter what level of rehit we are!
    • How is it going to help? The link is of a Sikh hunter. Fine, but what good does that do the lazy Sikh who ate khulla maas in a restaurant? By the way, for the OP, yes, it's against rehit to eat khulla maas.
    • Yeah, Sikhs should do bhog of food they eat. But the point of bhog is to only do bhog of food which is fit to be presented to Maharaj. It's not maryada to do bhog of khulla maas and pretend it's OK to eat. It's not. Come on, bro, you should know better than to bring this Sakhi into it. Is this Sikh in the restaurant accompanied by Guru Gobind Singh ji? Is he fighting a dharam yudh? Or is he merely filling his belly with the nearest restaurant?  Please don't make a mockery of our puratan Singhs' sacrifices by comparing them to lazy Sikhs who eat khulla maas.
    • Seriously?? The Dhadi is trying to be cute. For those who didn't get it, he said: "Some say Maharaj killed bakras (goats). Some say he cut the heads of the Panj Piyaras. The truth is that they weren't goats. It was she-goats (ਬਕਰੀਆਂ). He jhatka'd she-goats. Not he-goats." Wow. This is possibly the stupidest thing I've ever heard in relation to Sikhi.
    • Instead of a 9 inch or larger kirpan, take a smaller kirpan and put it (without gatra) inside your smaller turban and tie the turban tightly. This keeps a kirpan on your person without interfering with the massage or alarming the masseuse. I'm not talking about a trinket but rather an actual small kirpan that fits in a sheath (you'll have to search to find one). As for ahem, "problems", you could get a male masseuse. I don't know where you are, but in most places there are professional masseuses who actually know what they are doing and can really relieve your muscle pains.

Important Information

Terms of Use