Amritharis Looking Down On Or Disrespecting Sangat And Monay

Guest Gurdial Binepal

K, this is something that I feel is blown out of proportion - I genuinely feel that a lot of moneh judge Amritdharis harshly or are paranoid that they're being looked down at. For example, I'm quite quiet and stick to myself, rather than being really outgoing and talkative, especially when it comes to strangers. So when I've gone to the Gurdwara, and moneh have been looking at me and I've not smiled at them and greeted them warmly, made conversation with them, etc, I'm sure that they've judged me, and consequently all Amritdharis, to be judgemental and snobby.

I have personal experience with this, before I came into Sikhi I had moneh friends who I've not been able to keep good relationships with, since they seem to have a belief that "Amritdharis look down on us" "Amritdharis think they know it all" "Amrtidharis are meant to be bringing people into Sikhi but instead they push people away"- despite the fact that I've not said anything to them. It's paranoia and it's uncalled for. I wonder what it'd be like if we openly judged moneh based on a couple of encounters in which we were not treated the way we wanted to be.

K, this is something that I feel is blown out of proportion - I genuinely feel that a lot of moneh judge Amritdharis harshly or are paranoid that they're being looked down at. For example, I'm quite quiet and stick to myself, rather than being really outgoing and talkative, especially when it comes to strangers. So when I've gone to the Gurdwara, and moneh have been looking at me and I've not smiled at them and greeted them warmly, made conversation with them, etc, I'm sure that they've judged me, and consequently all Amritdharis, to be judgemental and snobby.

I have personal experience with this, before I came into Sikhi I had moneh friends who I've not been able to keep good relationships with, since they seem to have a belief that "Amritdharis look down on us" "Amritdharis think they know it all" "Amrtidharis are meant to be bringing people into Sikhi but instead they push people away"- despite the fact that I've not said anything to them. It's paranoia and it's uncalled for. I wonder what it'd be like if we openly judged moneh based on a couple of encounters in which we were not treated the way we wanted to be.

Yes i too have noticed this that when you smile at moneh some just stare like you have two heads (lol maybe its me), but your point about moneh saying amritdharis think they know it all and are supposed to bring people to sikhi.

1/ Well i guess if you tell a monah that they should grow kesh stop drinking etc and take amrit then you are ott and think you know it all !

2/ but if you say its ok what you are doing (but it is not) and just pray, then you are an ok singh and not a preacher and not ott like the others.

its a case of what they want to hear and its not necessarily the truth.

recently i took my kids to punjabi school and while they are in class i stay at the Gurdwara and do sangat, when i went to the langar hall there was a group of 5 moneh ages arond 20-30 standing talking and i over heard them talking about whisky, i mean who the hell comes to the Gurdwara and talks about whisky now if i had confronted them about this firstly they would have denied it which would have put me in an awkward position and secondly i would have been labeled ott and extremist and to be honest the committee or others of the Gurdwara may have sided with the majority. but they soon stopped for what ever reason.

Some moneh do have a lot of respect for sikhi and you can usually tell which ones by the way they behave for example

recently two young girls at the same Gurdwara were standing in the foyer and there heads were not fully covered and when there parents came out of the langar hall the father told them off and said it was disrespectful and that there heads should be covered.

Amritdharis who walk around with there noses in the air, personally i avoid eye contact with them.

Having been a monah and now Amritdhari i would say there are two types of monah and Amritdharis

Moneh :

1/ who has no or little respect for sikhi and just comes once in a while to the Gurdwara and questions everything you tell them about Gurbani and talks in sadh sangat, who would rather be with their mates etc.

2/ who come to the Gurdwara frequently does seva and simran but has not grown kesh and taken Amrit yet but does not do any kind of nasha drinking etc, for these people i have the utmost respect.

Amritdhari.

1/ Who thinks they are better than everyone else even other amritdharis and does not acknowledge a hello or a fateh properly and walks around as if they own the place.

2/ Who smiles at people speaks in a friendly manner shows respect to all, and does not engage in idle chit chat but encourages others to follow the Gurus teaching verbally and by example sits in sangat and listens with love. These are the Gursikhs whose sangat and dust of the feet i ask for :respect:

Guest Truth seeker

I agree with the o/p it is extremely hard ,my personal experience of being kesdhari and wanting to get closer to sikhi.there is little brotherhood amongst Sikhs I am yet to meet a sikh brother who is open enough to treat me as a friend or brother.

I know why now our own 'Sikhs' are turning away from our guru because no one is demonstrating any pyaar .yes there are talks ,groups etc but ultimately after these events everyone goes there separate ways ,

I am finding it very hard to find sangat/ friends to help me in my journey into sikhi...

Any advice would be great

moneh are not sikh...that's the truth.....you follow first 9 gurus....or you follow only 10th guru....in both cases you have to keep hair ,have to live with natural body..have to cover up

your head with turban........but these monaas are sooooooooooo chaalluuuuuuuuu.................lol

100% bandhar.

Just practice Truth of Gurbani, naam simran, realise that God is everywhere, everything, realise no image, no form, no colour- remember it always fearlessly regardless of what form God comes in to test u. If u really want this, dont worry about others, just practice Truth. There are amritdhari idiots and mona idiots, theyre both the same.

Real Truth seekers are of the same- whether amritdhari or not

100% bandhar.

There are amritdhari idiots and mona idiots, theyre both the same.

Real Truth seekers are of the same- whether amritdhari or not

lets ignore the Gurus and the fact that amrit is very important for a sikh and just make it up as we go along, real truth seekers what's that then ? not another new dera and a nakli baba :biggrin2:

There are some very sincere moneh and amritdharis and they are not idiots and no a true amritdhari is not the same as a sincere mona or truth seeker (whatever that is), so stop making it up as you go along, listen to the katha of bhai Dalla and what Guru Gobind Singh Ji Maharaj said to him or do you have more knowledge about these things than the 10th lord ??