Sign in to follow this  
panthicunity

Is Guru Granth Sahib Your Teacher / Guide Or Is It A Diety

Its a deity if your relation is all about mehar and based on pure emotion wherein most of the time you are imploring guru to fulfil your wishes.

Its a guru (literally - dispeller of darkness) - if you study it , contemplate (sabsai upar gur shabad beechar) on it and try to incorporate the teachings in your day to day lives.

Share your thoughts !

You are right and it's shame that the vast majority of the population see the GGS as a deity and a wish fulfilling machine. GGS is not here for us to fulfill our wishes it is here for us to lose our egos and follow hukam.

• Like 1

Dhan Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jeeo Maharaj is above either of these two things and he is both things. Dhan Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jeeo Maharaj is EVERYTHING.

To his Gursikh, there is nothing beyond Guru Sahib and there is nothing Guru Sahib is not. Do not worry about these things, just shower him with your love and receive his love for you.

Ang 250

ਸਲੋਕੁ ॥ Shalok:
ਗੁਰਦੇਵ ਮਾਤਾ ਗੁਰਦੇਵ ਪਿਤਾ ਗੁਰਦੇਵ ਸੁਆਮੀ ਪਰਮੇਸੁਰਾ ॥ The Divine Guru is my mother, the Divine Guru is my father; the Divine Guru is my Transcendent Lord and Master.
ਗੁਰਦੇਵ ਸਖਾ ਅਗਿਆਨ ਭੰਜਨੁ ਗੁਰਦੇਵ ਬੰਧਿਪ ਸਹੋਦਰਾ ॥ The Divine Guru is my companion, the Destroyer of ignorance; the Divine Guru is my relative and brother.
ਗੁਰਦੇਵ ਦਾਤਾ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਉਪਦੇਸੈ ਗੁਰਦੇਵ ਮੰਤੁ ਨਿਰੋਧਰਾ ॥ The Divine Guru is the Giver, the Teacher of the Lord's Name. The Divine Guru is the Mantra which never fails.
ਗੁਰਦੇਵ ਸਾਂਤਿ ਸਤਿ ਬੁਧਿ ਮੂਰਤਿ ਗੁਰਦੇਵ ਪਾਰਸ ਪਰਸ ਪਰਾ ॥ The Divine Guru is the Image of peace, truth and wisdom. The Divine Guru is the Philosopher's Stone - touching it, one is transformed.
ਗੁਰਦੇਵ ਤੀਰਥੁ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਸਰੋਵਰੁ ਗੁਰ ਗਿਆਨ ਮਜਨੁ ਅਪਰੰਪਰਾ ॥ The Divine Guru is the sacred shrine of pilgrimage, and the pool of divine ambrosia; bathing in the Guru's wisdom, one experiences the Infinite.
ਗੁਰਦੇਵ ਕਰਤਾ ਸਭਿ ਪਾਪ ਹਰਤਾ ਗੁਰਦੇਵ ਪਤਿਤ ਪਵਿਤ ਕਰਾ ॥ The Divine Guru is the Creator, and the Destroyer of all sins; the Divine Guru is the Purifier of sinners.
ਗੁਰਦੇਵ ਆਦਿ ਜੁਗਾਦਿ ਜੁਗੁ ਜੁਗੁ ਗੁਰਦੇਵ ਮੰਤੁ ਹਰਿ ਜਪਿ ਉਧਰਾ ॥ The Divine Guru existed at the primal beginning, throughout the ages, in each and every age. The Divine Guru is the Mantra of the Lord's Name; chanting it, one is saved.
ਗੁਰਦੇਵ ਸੰਗਤਿ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਮੇਲਿ ਕਰਿ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਹਮ ਮੂੜ ਪਾਪੀ ਜਿਤੁ ਲਗਿ ਤਰਾ ॥ O God, please be merciful to me, that I may be with the Divine Guru; I am a foolish sinner, but holding onto Him, I am carried across.
ਗੁਰਦੇਵ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਪਾਰਬ੍ਰਹਮੁ ਪਰਮੇਸਰੁ ਗੁਰਦੇਵ ਨਾਨਕ ਹਰਿ ਨਮਸਕਰਾ ॥੧॥ The Divine Guru is the True Guru, the Supreme Lord God, the Transcendent Lord; Nanak bows in humble reverence to the Lord, the Divine Guru. ||1||
  • Like 3

The guru is my everything.I worship and learn from my guru.I would die for my guru.My guru is my god.

I disagree with you on this point. The Guru is my guide, my teacher, to help me try to understand Waheguru. The light of Waheguru shines through our Guru,

but I do not worship Guru Ji, I worship Waheguru - Guru Nanak strictly condemned worship of anything other than the formless Almighty.

That's my view anyway. :)

• Like 1

Gur Meri Pooja Gur Gobind
Gur Mera Parbrahm Gur Bhagwant
Gur Mera Deyo Alakh Abheyo
Sarb Pooj Charan Gur Seyo
Gur Bin Awar Nahi Main Thhaon
Andin Japo Guru Gur Naon (Rahao)
Gur Mera Gian Gur Ridey Dhian
Gur Gopal Purakh Bhagwan
Gur Ki Saran Raho Kar Jor
Guru Bina Main Nahin Hor
Gur Bohith Taray Bhav Paar
Gur sewa Jam Te Chhutkaar
Andhkaar Meh Gurmantar Ujaara
Gur kai Sang Sagal Nistaara
Gur Poora Payiaye Badhbhagi
Gur Ki Sewa Dookh Na Lagi
Gur Ka Sabad Na Metay Koiye
GUR NANAK NANAK HAR SOYE

Sri Guru Granth Sahib (864)

http://www.srigurugranthsahib.org/guru-nanak/tuhi-nirankar.htm

• Like 2

I disagree with you on this point. The Guru is my guide, my teacher, to help me try to understand Waheguru. The light of Waheguru shines through our Guru,

but I do not worship Guru Ji, I worship Waheguru - Guru Nanak strictly condemned worship of anything other than the formless Almighty.

That's my view anyway. :)

I respect your veiw but there really is no difference between guru ji and waheguru ji.For example in Sri sarbloh granth guru gobind Singh ji sache patshah writes that guru Nanak dev ji jagat de malak were god himself.Wouldnt the 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11 guru have the same jot so they would all be waheguru.So in my understanding there is no difference.

I respect your veiw but there really is no difference between guru ji and waheguru ji.For example in Sri sarbloh granth guru gobind Singh ji sache patshah writes that guru Nanak dev ji jagat de malak were god himself.Wouldnt the 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11 guru have the same jot so they would all be waheguru.So in my understanding there is no difference.

When I read passages about the Guru "being" God, I believe that means the Gurus have the light of God. Equally, so do we all, as God is everything and pervades all matter and the universe, but the Gurus were on such a high spiritual enlightenment and had such a deep connection with Waheguru that they could guide the rest of us.

It's a very deep, complex issue, but I personally don't like to say the Gurus "are" God, because then people take that to mean Gurus are incarnations of God, and that limits perception of the almighty to just one physical entity. That's a concept which Guru Nanak Dev Ji rejected - God does not come down to Earth as incarnations (Ram, Krishna etc), but we are all part of God.

• Like 1

gur parmaysar ayko jaan.

Know that the Guru and the Transcendent Lord are One.

jo tis bhaavai so parvaan. ||1|| rahaa-o.

Whatever pleases Him is acceptable and approved. ||1||Pause||

gur daataa samrath gur gur sabh meh rahi-aa samaa-ay.

The Guru is the Giver, the Guru is All-powerful. The Guru is All-pervading, contained amongst all.

gur parmaysar paarbarahm gur dubdaa la-ay taraa-ay. ||2||

The Guru is the Transcendent Lord, the Supreme Lord God. The Guru lifts up and saves those who are drowning. ||2||

When I read passages about the Guru "being" God, I believe that means the Gurus have the light of God. Equally, so do we all, as God is everything and pervades all matter and the universe, but the Gurus were on such a high spiritual enlightenment and had such a deep connection with Waheguru that they could guide the rest of us.

It's a very deep, complex issue, but I personally don't like to say the Gurus "are" God, because then people take that to mean Gurus are incarnations of God, and that limits perception of the almighty to just one physical entity. That's a concept which Guru Nanak Dev Ji rejected - God does not come down to Earth as incarnations (Ram, Krishna etc), but we are all part of God.

You are right.

There should not be any doubts- Satguru granth sahib ji is same jot and naam roop in sargun, shabad and nirgun form. Satguru connects with sikh consciousness at every step of the way in stages for betterment of sikh spiritual development. Satguru himself draws his sikh(bhagat) to his sargun form to help him to do bhagti-naam-bhagti nine folds- then Satguru granth sahib itself further draw his sikh(bhagat) to go inside himself and explore naam within via shabad surta then finally same Satguru draw his sikh towards estoric gyan layer of naam and eventually/ultimately reveal jot saroop of himself (merge sikh in him) in form of self realization
The reason we don't see this because we are not receptive or see things in stages, one has to let go all pre-conditioning, semantics, techanalities..Does love have any conditions? Love has no conditions whatsoever.

Nor does love have stages! Stop making sikhi into a long step by step system. All those steps you mention are just steps of ignorance. You either realise everything is God or you don't. There are too many cults in sikhi we don't need more man made systems.

In gurbani there are no stages people have made stages from gurbani like the khands in japji sahib they are not stages and guru nanak never says they are stages to access progress. Cults say they are stages but they are not. All those khands are not to access level of progress.