Life In Uk

MannatSingh

WJKK WJKF

My Apologies as this doesn't directly have anything to do with Sikhi.

I know a lot of Sangat here are from UK, So...

I am a Singh in Canada Born, who has gotten the opportunity to live in UK for next couple years. I am just wondering a little bit more of life there.

I am quite excited as I know sikhi is full chardi kala in England!

I am wondering...

How is job/economy in UK, and how hard it is it for a Keshdhari sikh to get a job in UK, is their still discrimination?

What is best city to live for new comer (some where accommodation is not too expensive, lots of jobs, gurdwaras etc) Also would hope close enough for day trips to London.

Is london really that expensive to live?

Any other suggestions or tips on relocating to UK from Canada?

Thank you so much in advance.

Guru Ang Sang

If you want to stay near fellow sikhs then get a place in west London. Places like Southall, Hounslow, Slough have lots of Sikhs and Gurdwaras.

Southall is extreme in that you will hardly see any non south asians so if you want a bit more of a mix then Hounslow or Slough would be better.

Where in London will your job be?

Quality of life on average is probably lower in UK than Canada (east or west coast).

Country is smaller so it is easy to go to programs or find Sangat.

House prices are massively variable - generally most Punjabi communities are in cheap, less desirable areas (Birmingham, Slough, Southall etc) but in places such as central London a flat can go for millions. You need to say what your budget is.

In my experience there is no job discrimation as Sikhs are well integrated into society - but again this will vary by area - in less cosmopolitan areas there may be issues.

I don't know what the job situation is like in Canada but in the UK I think it would depend on your skills and qualifications and if they are in demand.

Guest travelagent

Birmingham has the most gurmat programmes and chardikala youth. Tv channels are located close by and there's hardly a week without a big samagam taking place. Just catch a train to London when you need to, else the west midlands and specifically Birmingham, Smethwick gurdwara, Willenhall Walsall have the most chardikala packed halls and samagams. You can more than easily find a job with the right qualifications and identity is not an issue. Hope this helped.

WJKK WJKF

UK is quite abit different to Canada veerji. Life is similar, perhaps not as forward in some senses but at times quicker paced. Also people aren't as polite over here. Atleast they dont seem it. And generally, id say its not as clean. Weather wise...UK summer consists of 7days of sun. Period. and when it snows, the country comes to a stand still.

As for discrimination, nope. Id say none. We have a very strong base here.

Where in Canada are you moving from?

I've lived in Mississauga, Toronto and here in the UK, in central London and Yorkshire. and London is probably as expensive as you've heard if not more.

Job wise, id say the job market is generally better in canada but again that would depend on your field of work.

Personally, if i didnt have the commitments, I would move back to canada. Id say theres a better life there. Singh, defo come for the experience but ive got a feeling you'll be heading back ;)

All the best.

WJKK WJKF

it depends on you, personally i lived in bc canada for a while but did not like the divide between earlier very westernized settled sikhs (if you can call them that now) and the recent new arrivals, which i found a bit sad plus other reasons, but dont want to get into my country is better than yours argument.

We are friendly in the uk it depends how you approach people, so the people not being as polite is bs, we are not fake and keep saying things like "you have a nice day" we are a bit reserved but that is not due to arrogance but more the fact that we do not wish to offend, but you will get rude people were ever you go.

If you come over loud and arrogant (like some canadians/americans) most people will walk away dont need the earache lol, a big turn off is if you were to keep comparing the two countries in front of people.

eg. recently i attended a wedding between a uk born apna and an american born apne here in the uk and at the reception when ever the states or california was mention the americans went into frenzies of howling and arm waving, which we over here (uk) just dont do and found rather amusing if not a bit childish and arrogant, so you walk in the opposite direction when this happens lol.

it does snow here but no where near the extremes in canada or as much (which suits me canadians can keep the snow lol).

as for it being dirtier, well most cities and towns are much older than most canadian towns and cities and there is and has been a lot of regeneration work going on.

Personally i would not live anywhere else in the western world and definitely not in the american continent again.

Canada is a beautiful country but so is the uk if you travel out of the cities,(lake district pennines etc).

So please dont be put off and come with an open mind.

WGJKKWGJKF

paaji i only can compare btwn East Coast of America n Britain never been Canada, but heard its beautiful.

tight communities over in W London, W Midlands. You wont feel outta place. With so many folk from India, here, and even different nationalities around you. Things are a lot closer in cities , shops, gurdwaras, emergency supplies.

If someone asked before, i would hve discouraged it but now theres a buzzing atmosphere with organisations down South expanding like SWAT, BAsics of Sikhi, and further up North Lots of Sikhi Parchar. I hear South Shields Gurdwara has a Panj Piara committee for ages too.

Things are smaller, homes, rds, towns, everything, its like going into old metro areas. Places like Leamington Spa are very nice classy Traditional leafy parts with a small sizeable sangat. Bit far out of London though.

Lots to see depends what your into dude. All the best.

id love to go Southern Alaska oddhi