Mri Scan And Kakaars

Guest Question

Some people with medical metal implants cannot have MRI scans. Most metal orthopaedic implants are MRI compatible though nowadays. With regards to iron based metals its a no-no. Remove the kakkars prior to the scan and put them back on afterwards. As soon as its practical, do Ardas. During the scan itself it is worth doing jaap simran in your mind or quietly. The scan will typically last about 15mins, you need to keep your body still so they can get the best image. The scan itself is noisy and a tight fit. You may be offered headphones with the radio to distract you, but I preferred to just close my eyes and do Waheguru simran with my hands folded over on my chest when I had to have a scan - this kept me calm, helped me keep still and distracted my ears from the psychadelic noises of the machine as it scans you. Hope all turns out well for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Metal and MRI are not friends. Some Sikhs take the kakkars off but keep them attached to their body depending on which area of the body is being scanned. If it is upper body then some take off their kirpan and kara and keep them attached to their lower legs. This is just a suggestion. Otherwise take them off and put them back on afterwards. When you get home do one Jap Ji Sahib for each kakkar that was separated from your body and do Ardaas.

Depends what is being Scanned. When I had mine done just lower body, As I couldn't take my kara off my arm was let dangling outside the machine and tape was applied to it (the kara to the arm so it wouldn't move). The magnetic field is really strong (my arm was at times pulled towards the machine even though it was outside), so no metal will be allowed within the machine (inside the dougnut). You maybe able to hold in your kirpan in your hand outside the machine but it'll be taped up (depends on the radiographer, mine was indian so realised about the 5k's).

As others have mentioned its about being pragmatic in such circumstances. The MRI machines cost about a million pounds so expect the radiographer to be very careful with any metal items on you.

It's the same with X-Rays some countries are starting to make x-rays a thing of the past and work more off MRI's. With X-rays you can't have metallic objects with you. I think regardless of the type of kakkars you wear the medical professional may disagree to carry on with the procedure, even if you wear plastic or wooden kakkars for they will view it as foreign objects and for all they know those objects are hollow and filled with metal inside. Plus they have to protect their medical equipment which is worth sometimes millions of pounds/dollars. The procedure only takes a while it's a normal thing just like taking off a kirpan when you go on an aeroplane. You can do your nitnem again later on to reintroduce the kakkars. When it comes to medical examinations you ought to be comfortable plus their is discretion in examinations even when it comes to removing dastar for medical examinations.

• 2 weeks later...

VAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA, VAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

Speak to your doctor - if you do not want to part with your Kakkars, then perhaps an alternate scan, such as a CAT scan could be a possibility? CAT scans work with XRays, and are requested to be removed if they will obstruct the area being scanned.

It's a possibility, not a guarantee...never hurts to ask.

• 6 months later...
Guest Radiographer

As a Radiographer I can assure you magnetic metals (iron based as an example) heat up during the MRI and are strongly attracted to the machine. Therefore those metals might cause skin burns, or lesions due to the powerful pull they are submited near the machine.

Never try to hide any information regarding MRI safety.

Do not guess - Ask!

If you aren't sure about something don't take a chance. Ask your GP/consultant/Radiographer and he will point you in the right direction.

When looking for a "loophole" you are putting your life in danger.

• 6 years later...
Guest Amritdhari MRI

Can I leave dastar and/or keski and wear kacherra during my scan? I'm due one in a few weeks and the letter said I can only wear the hospital robe.