Questioning My Faith

Guest Confused man

Guest Confused man

I've recently begun question my faith in Sikhi.

I cannot think straight since having these doubts.

We believe that god created the Universe and Earth and that he is everywhere. We also believe in reincarnation and that the soul is reborn many times until it is liberated.

Why did it take so long for humans to arrive on Earth if we are the highest life form? What was the point of the dinosaurs etc. Did our souls live as dinosaurs? That was hundreds of millions of years ago, was the soul going through all of those life forms until we became humans?

Who is to say that we won't further evolve into a higher being?

When did humans first start to think of god? I'm sure the first cavemen had no idea of god.

Why is India/Middle East such poor places with many social problems and inequality? These are the places where most of the worlds religions formed yet they are highly corrupt and having shocking human rights records.

Northern Europe in contrast is quite a tolerant place, is wealthy, has more equality and is less corrupt. Most people there are atheists. Compare this with Southern Europe where people are more devout and corruption and racism is more rampant.

How do we know that the gurus didn't just make Sikhi up?

If god wants us to worship him, then why not just tell us?

I don't want to offend anyone I just want some answers.

We believe that god created the Universe and Earth and that he is everywhere. We also believe in reincarnation and that the soul is reborn many times until it is liberated.

Why did it take so long for humans to arrive on Earth if we are the highest life form?

UKL = Who said anything about humans being the highest life form per se? Surely animals are better than human beings involved in the genocide and slavery of others. But yes, conscious intelligence should theoretically unite our soul with God (= all that is Good within the Universe and beyond).

What was the point of the dinosaurs etc.

UKL = I believe they evolved naturally via the wonder of Nature/God as you may wish to call it.

Did our souls live as dinosaurs?

UKL = It would arguably make sense given that there were no human beings around millions of years ago when the Dinosaurs ruled.

That was hundreds of millions of years ago, was the soul going through all of those life forms until we became humans?

UKL = Who is to know? Why not concentrate on what you can do right here right now to help others as Sant Puran Singh Ji focussed on doing?

UKL = I believe we will. How does that contradict Sikhi (which supports evolution)?

When did humans first start to think of god? I'm sure the first cavemen had no idea of god.

UKL = The concept of righteous actions (what one may arguably perceive as God) existed within cavemen and provably even exists within animals that care for others (for example not even belonging to their species).

Why is India/Middle East such poor places with many social problems and inequality?

UKL = The answer is 100% to do with human-upon-human exploitation and nothing to do with God as such.

These are the places where most of the worlds religions formed yet they are highly corrupt and having shocking human rights records.

UKL = It is due to human actions that the current scenario of injustice exists. Sikhi aims to correct that via Sarbat Da Bhala (the welfare and benefit of all)

Northern Europe in contrast is quite a tolerant place, is wealthy, has more equality and is less corrupt. Most people there are atheists. Compare this with Southern Europe where people are more devout and corruption and racism is more rampant.

UKL = In northern Europe the fertile conditions for human-upon-human exploitation do not exist to such a degree as in under-developed nations.

UKL = You tell me? Tell me a single aspect of Sikhi which does not aim and direct us towards working for the benefit and upliftment of humankind (and animals).

UKL = God doesn't need our superficial vocal worship I agree with you. But God has indeed told us via Guru Sahib's wisdom and light channeled through the Guru Granth Sahib and our own conscience's ability to decipher right from wrong and worship God by helping others less fortunate than ourselves.

UKL = No problem but while you ponder your answers remember that millions are dying of malnutrition, malaria, HIV etc, etc. Sikhi and Guru Sahib ask us to utilise our life to play a part in ending that injustice and others. I hope you get that and focus on the wretched reality rather than abstract concepts.

Guest Confused Man

Another questions I have is:

Sikhi says that all religions can lead to god? Does that also mean religions like those practiced in Ancient Greece, Rome, Egypt, Norse gods like Thor?

Guest Confused Man

Why did it take so long for humans to arrive on Earth if we are the highest life form?

UKL = Who said anything about humans being the highest life form per se? Surely animals are better than human beings involved in the genocide and slavery of others. But yes, conscious intelligence should theoretically unite our soul with God (= all that is Good within the Universe and beyond).

What was the point of the dinosaurs etc.

UKL = I believe they evolved naturally via the wonder of Nature/God as you may wish to call it.

Did our souls live as dinosaurs?

UKL = It would arguably make sense given that there were no human beings around millions of years ago when the Dinosaurs ruled.

That was hundreds of millions of years ago, was the soul going through all of those life forms until we became humans?

UKL = Who is to know? Why not concentrate on what you can do right here right now to help others as Sant Puran Singh Ji focussed on doing?

UKL = I believe we will. How does that contradict Sikhi (which supports evolution)?

UKL = The concept of righteous actions (what one may arguably perceive as God) existed within cavemen and provably even exists within animals that care for others (for example not even belonging to their species).

Why is India/Middle East such poor places with many social problems and inequality?

UKL = The answer is 100% to do with human-upon-human exploitation and nothing to do with God as such.

These are the places where most of the worlds religions formed yet they are highly corrupt and having shocking human rights records.

UKL = It is due to human actions that the current scenario of injustice exists. Sikhi aims to correct that via Sarbat Da Bhala (the welfare and benefit of all)

UKL = In northern Europe the fertile conditions for human-upon-human exploitation do not exist to such a degree as in under-developed nations.

UKL = You tell me? Tell me a single aspect of Sikhi which does not aim and direct us towards working for the benefit and upliftment of humankind (and animals).

UKL = God doesn't need our superficial vocal worship I agree with you. But God has indeed told us via Guru Sahib's wisdom and light channeled through the Guru Granth Sahib and our own conscience's ability to decipher right from wrong and worship God by helping others less fortunate than ourselves.

UKL = No problem but while you ponder your answers remember that millions are dying of malnutrition, malaria, HIV etc, etc. Sikhi and Guru Sahib ask us to utilise our life to play a part in ending that injustice and others. I hope you get that and focus on the wretched reality rather than abstract concepts.

Many thanks for your answers. In response to your last answer, since reading gurbani I have read that doing charity work is not as good as doing naam simran.

The absence of belief in god in northern europe kinda shows that you don't need to believe in god to live a good life. What do you say to that?

north Europe hasn't always been so "great" - e.g what the Nazis did to 6 million jews . the wealth of many of these countries was built on exploiting their empires in Asia and Africa. I really admire your search for answers, but according to Sikhi our minds and therefore understanding is limited, maybe you should also search for answers in getting to know Viaguruji through studying bani especially Japji Sahib as it focuses on creation of this world and through naam simran

Why did it take so long for humans to arrive on Earth if we are the highest life form? What was the point of the dinosaurs etc. Did our souls live as dinosaurs? That was hundreds of millions of years ago, was the soul going through all of those life forms until we became humans?

ਗਉੜੀ ਗੁਆਰੇਰੀ ਮਹਲਾ ੫ ॥

Gauree Gwaarayree, Fifth Mehl:

ਕਈ ਜਨਮ ਭਏ ਕੀਟ ਪਤੰਗਾ ॥

In so many incarnations, you were a worm and an insect;

ਕਈ ਜਨਮ ਗਜ ਮੀਨ ਕੁਰੰਗਾ ॥

In so many incarnations, you were an elephant, a fish and a deer.

ਕਈ ਜਨਮ ਪੰਖੀ ਸਰਪ ਹੋਇਓ ॥

In so many incarnations, you were a bird and a snake.

ਕਈ ਜਨਮ ਹੈਵਰ ਬ੍ਰਿਖ ਜੋਇਓ ॥੧॥

In so many incarnations, you were yoked as an ox and a horse. ||1||

ਮਿਲੁ ਜਗਦੀਸ ਮਿਲਨ ਕੀ ਬਰੀਆ ॥

Meet the Lord of the Universe - now is the time to meet Him.

ਚਿਰੰਕਾਲ ਇਹ ਦੇਹ ਸੰਜਰੀਆ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

After so very long, this human body was fashioned for you. ||1||Pause||

ਕਈ ਜਨਮ ਸੈਲ ਗਿਰਿ ਕਰਿਆ ॥

In so many incarnations, you were rocks and mountains;

ਕਈ ਜਨਮ ਗਰਭ ਹਿਰਿ ਖਰਿਆ ॥

In so many incarnations, you were aborted in the womb;

ਕਈ ਜਨਮ ਸਾਖ ਕਰਿ ਉਪਾਇਆ ॥

In so many incarnations, you developed branches and leaves;

ਲਖ ਚਉਰਾਸੀਹ ਜੋਨਿ ਭ੍ਰਮਾਇਆ ॥੨॥

You wandered through 8.4 million incarnations. ||2||

ਸਾਧਸੰਗਿ ਭਇਓ ਜਨਮੁ ਪਰਾਪਤਿ ॥

Through the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy, you obtained this human life.

ਕਰਿ ਸੇਵਾ ਭਜੁ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਗੁਰਮਤਿ ॥

Do seva - selfless service; follow the Guru's Teachings, and vibrate the Lord's Name, Har, Har.

ਤਿਆਗਿ ਮਾਨੁ ਝੂਠੁ ਅਭਿਮਾਨੁ ॥

Abandon pride, falsehood and arrogance.

ਜੀਵਤ ਮਰਹਿ ਦਰਗਹ ਪਰਵਾਨੁ ॥੩॥

Remain dead while yet alive, and you shall be welcomed in the Court of the Lord. ||3||

ਜੋ ਕਿਛੁ ਹੋਆ ਸੁ ਤੁਝ ਤੇ ਹੋਗੁ ॥

Whatever has been, and whatever shall be, comes from You, Lord.

ਅਵਰੁ ਨ ਦੂਜਾ ਕਰਣੈ ਜੋਗੁ ॥

No one else can do anything at all.

ਤਾ ਮਿਲੀਐ ਜਾ ਲੈਹਿ ਮਿਲਾਇ ॥

We are united with You, when You unite us with Yourself.

ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਗੁਣ ਗਾਇ ॥੪॥੩॥੭੨॥

Says Nanak, sing the Glorious Praises of the Lord, Har, Har. ||4||3||72||

ਸੁਰਿ ਨਰ ਮੁਨਿ ਜਨ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਖੋਜਦੇ ਸੁ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਗੁਰ ਤੇ ਪਾਇਆ ॥

The angelic beings and the silent sages search for the Ambrosial Nectar; this Amrit is obtained from the Guru.

The devi devte who are supposed to be higher angels than humans are also searching for the Amrit which Guru Sahib has blessed us with! Can it get any better? :)

When did humans first start to think of god?

Ang 613: ਮਾਤ ਗਰਭ ਮਹਿ ਆਪਨ ਸਿਮਰਨੁ ਦੇ ਤਹ ਤੁਮ ਰਾਖਨਹਾਰੇ ॥ In our mother's womb, You blessed us with Your meditative remembrance, and You preserved us there.

Ang 1026:

ਗਰਭ ਕੁੰਡਲ ਮਹਿ ਉਰਧ ਧਿਆਨੀ ॥

Within the mother's womb, upside-down, the mortal meditated on God.

ਆਪੇ ਜਾਣੈ ਅੰਤਰਜਾਮੀ ॥

The Inner-knower, the Searcher of hearts, knows everything.

ਸਾਸਿ ਸਾਸਿ ਸਚੁ ਨਾਮੁ ਸਮਾਲੇ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਉਦਰ ਮਝਾਰਾ ਹੇ ॥੫॥

With each and every breath, he contemplated the True Name, deep within himself, within the womb. ||5||

I'm sure the first cavemen had no idea of god.

ਊਚ ਅਪਾਰ ਬੇਅੰਤ ਸੁਆਮੀ ਕਉਣੁ ਜਾਣੈ ਗੁਣ ਤੇਰੇ ॥

O my lofty, incomparable and infinite Lord and Master, who can know Your Glorious Virtues?

ਗਾਵਤੇ ਉਧਰਹਿ ਸੁਣਤੇ ਉਧਰਹਿ ਬਿਨਸਹਿ ਪਾਪ ਘਨੇਰੇ ॥

Those who sing them are saved, and those who listen to them are saved; all their sins are erased.

ਪਸੂ ਪਰੇਤ ਮੁਗਧ ਕਉ ਤਾਰੇ ਪਾਹਨ ਪਾਰਿ ਉਤਾਰੈ ॥

You save the beasts, demons and fools, and even stones are carried across.

ਨਾਨਕ ਦਾਸ ਤੇਰੀ ਸਰਣਾਈ ਸਦਾ ਸਦਾ ਬਲਿਹਾਰੈ ॥੪॥੧॥੪॥

Slave Nanak seeks Your Sanctuary; he is forever and ever a sacrifice to You. ||4||1||4||

If beasts, demons, fools, and even stones can be saved, caveman is much better, isn't he?

Why is India/Middle East such poor places with many social problems and inequality? These are the places where most of the worlds religions formed yet they are highly corrupt and having shocking human rights records.

ਹਰਣਾਂ ਬਾਜਾਂ ਤੈ ਸਿਕਦਾਰਾਂ ਏਨ੍ਹ੍ਹਾ ਪੜ੍ਹ੍ਹਿਆ ਨਾਉ ॥

Deer, falcons and government officials are known to be trained and clever.

ਫਾਂਧੀ ਲਗੀ ਜਾਤਿ ਫਹਾਇਨਿ ਅਗੈ ਨਾਹੀ ਥਾਉ ॥

When the trap is set, they trap their own kind; hereafter they will find no place of rest.

ਸੋ ਪੜਿਆ ਸੋ ਪੰਡਿਤੁ ਬੀਨਾ ਜਿਨ੍ਹ੍ਹੀ ਕਮਾਣਾ ਨਾਉ ॥

He alone is learned and wise, and he alone is a scholar, who practices the Name.

ਪਹਿਲੋ ਦੇ ਜੜ ਅੰਦਰਿ ਜੰਮੈ ਤਾ ਉਪਰਿ ਹੋਵੈ ਛਾਂਉ ॥

First, the tree puts down its roots, and then it spreads out its shade above.

ਰਾਜੇ ਸੀਹ ਮੁਕਦਮ ਕੁਤੇ ॥

The kings are tigers, and their officials are dogs;

ਜਾਇ ਜਗਾਇਨ੍ਹ੍ਹਿ ਬੈਠੇ ਸੁਤੇ ॥

They go out and awaken the sleeping people to harass them.

ਚਾਕਰ ਨਹਦਾ ਪਾਇਨ੍ਹ੍ਹਿ ਘਾਉ ॥

The public servants inflict wounds with their nails.

ਰਤੁ ਪਿਤੁ ਕੁਤਿਹੋ ਚਟਿ ਜਾਹੁ ॥

The dogs lick up the blood that is spilled.

ਜਿਥੈ ਜੀਆਂ ਹੋਸੀ ਸਾਰ ॥

But there, in the Court of the Lord, all beings will be judged.

ਨਕੀ ਵਢੀ ਲਾਇਤਬਾਰ ॥੨॥

Those who have violated the people's trust will be disgraced; their noses will be cut off. ||2||

ਅਤਿ ਸੁੰਦਰ ਕੁਲੀਨ ਚਤੁਰ ਮੁਖਿ ਙਿਆਨੀ ਧਨਵੰਤ ॥

He may be very handsome, born into a highly respected family, very wise, a famous spiritual teacher, prosperous and wealthy;

ਮਿਰਤਕ ਕਹੀਅਹਿ ਨਾਨਕਾ ਜਿਹ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿ ਨਹੀ ਭਗਵੰਤ ॥੧॥

But even so, he is looked upon as a corpse, O Nanak, if he does not love the Lord God. ||1||

Ang 722: ਜੈਸੀ ਮੈ ਆਵੈ ਖਸਮ ਕੀ ਬਾਣੀ ਤੈਸੜਾ ਕਰੀ ਗਿਆਨੁ ਵੇ ਲਾਲੋ ॥ As the Word of the Forgiving Lord comes to me, so do I express it, O Lalo.

ਸੇ ਸਿਮਰਹਿ ਜਿਨ ਆਪਿ ਸਿਮਰਾਏ ॥

They alone remember Him in meditation, whom He inspires to meditate.

Another questions I have is:

Sikhi says that all religions can lead to god? Does that also mean religions like those practiced in Ancient Greece, Rome, Egypt, Norse gods like Thor?

UKL = I don't quite believe that Sikhi explicitly states that all religions (however random such as strands of religions like Satanism, Al Qaeda Wahhabism or Ku Klux Klan Christians) will necassarily lead to God. However, there are indeed multiple spiritual paths that if practised with sincerity will lead to God (albeit that I strongly believe that Sikhi is the most direct shortest route for humanity's wellbeing)

1. In response to your last answer, since reading gurbani I have read that doing charity work is not as good as doing naam simran.

2. The absence of belief in god in northern europe kinda shows that you don't need to believe in god to live a good life. What do you say to that?

UKL = 1>Imho my interpretation of Sikhi (guided by Giani Ditt Singh Ji's Singh Sabha ideology and the example of Sant Puran Singh Ji) is firmly that charitable efforts for those less fortunate are the truest form (puratan definition) of Naam Simran (in contrast to the recent interpretation by some that Naam Simran refers to verbal repetition only). I understand and believe that Naam Simran must be accompanied practical good deeds thereafter for it to be truly meaningful of which charitable efforts are probably the best expression.

Panthpreet Singh Khalsa Ji explains the point better than I can (as he explains that simple verbal repetetion is not enough for GurSikhs)

UKL = 2>It's quite self-evident that two atheist doctors serving on Medicins Sans Frontieres ships are better people than myself or Prakash Badal as two poor examples of those who state that we are Sikh. So simply believing in a certain faith or indeed simply in the One God does not make any man or woman better (or worse) per se. However, our accompanying life actions towards others do distinguish between human beings and I firmly believe that 100 random Amritdhari GurSikhs will generally live their lives in a better manner for the welfare of all (Sarbat Da Bhala) than a random sample of 100 atheists. I firmly believe all atheists and agnostics that care about their fellow (downtrodden) human beings should at least align themselves politically with the Sikh Panth for the welfare of all (Sarbat Da Bhala).