Questioning My Faith

Guest Confused man

Guest Confused Man

Guru Nanak explains how the world was created by God. However he doesn't explain that man evolved from other species. Doesn't mention dinosaurs. Says man will never know how old the universe is (scientists know it's approx 15 billion years old).

Why couldn't he explain how we got here in the first place?

Guest Confused Man

In the great darkness of this world, the Lord revealed Himself, incarnated as Guru Arjun.

O Mat'huraa, consider this essential truth: to save the world, the Lord incarnated Himself.

Whoever meditates on Guru Arjun Dayv, shall not have to pass through the painful womb of reincarnation ever again

This can all be found in Ang 1409.

I thought we don't believe that god can take human form. It's these kinds of things that confuse me.

Guru Nanak explains how the world was created by God. However he doesn't explain that man evolved from other species. Doesn't mention dinosaurs. Says man will never know how old the universe is (scientists know it's approx 15 billion years old).

A day is one rotation of the earth's axis. A year is the earth's one orbit of the sun. At the beginning of the universe there was no earth, no sun so it is false and impossible to say that the universe is 15 billion years old because there was no earth then so there was no year. Only the creator knows when he created this universe and the endless other universes.

In the great darkness of this world, the Lord revealed Himself, incarnated as Guru Arjun.

O Mat'huraa, consider this essential truth: to save the world, the Lord incarnated Himself.

Whoever meditates on Guru Arjun Dayv, shall not have to pass through the painful womb of reincarnation ever again

I thought we don't believe that god can take human form. It's these kinds of things that confuse me.

Waheguru is the light. Guru Nanak Dev Ji was born with this light and then passed on the light to Guru Angad dev Ji and so on to Guru Gobind Singh Ji who passed on the light to the eternal shabad Guru, Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. You need to understand the purpose of your being. You are given this life to earn a profit. This isn't about money but about karma. Do good karma and erase any deficit of bad karma so you have a profit of good karma. The way to do this is to do meditation of naam simran and read as much Gurbani as you can. Do not dwell on worldly things because it is meaningless. You can only take naam simran with you when your life ends. No one knows when their life will end so don't waste even a second, concentrate on the name of Waheguru.

Everyone has that light within them. God is not far away. He is within.

You have to realise that. The curtains of maya, the wall of illusion is infront of you. You know God is there but you can't get there. You have to break it down by naam simran.

The Gurus were fully enlightened people intouch with this light of Waheguru. They were incarnations of God because they were God's light. They were God. But we, following Guru's teachings can also make that light of God glow fully within us.

Those things aren't mentioned because they aren't relevent to meeting God. Is knowing about dinosaurs, or knowing the age of the universe going to help you meditate more or have a better connection? And you're wong at the 15 billion thing. It's estimated to be 13.7 billion. But it's an estimate, they don't know when exactly this universe was "created", they don't even know if it was created. The age given is when expansion of the universe began.

Ik Oankaar.

Firstly let’s look at ik. Ik is numeral. The SGGS starts off with a number not a word. You can't mess around with a number. You can't mistranslate it. It is simply 1. Guru Nanak tells us everything is just one. 100 is just 100 1's. Gurbani says "Sab Gobind hai". Everything is Gobind, everything is one.

This ik is the source of everything.

Now, Oangkaar.

Oang is a sound. A vibration. Guru Nanak Ji said Oang was the vibration that set off creation. This is the primal sound. I interpret as the big bang.

Akaar. This is creation, everything came from one point. Everything expanded from one, this expansion is still happening. With the Oang, akaar happened.

Guru Arjan Dev Ji says in Sukhmani Sahib "kai baar pasrio paasaar, sada sada ik ikoangkaar". This means many times this creation was expanded (created). The One is always and forever the creator who expands with the Primal Sound.

Guru's told us already how it happened, they did explain it. The source of everything is God. However, it happens, it happens. If it's evolution then cool. This universe is just one of his plays. Waheguru has endless fields of creation.

Why don't you just focus on naam simran? Other than asking these questions all the time. I've known many (myself included) who kept doubting and asking questions. Fair enough, ask them, but at least try and DO what Guru tells you to do. Sit down and listent to kirtan and katha. Wake up early and do naam simran. If you not going to do what is being said, then you'll keep asking questions. Perhaps do it first before doubting and asking questions.

Trust your Guru, why wouldn't you trust such a perfect Guru? Trust then you'll experience, then you will know they were right.

Guest Confused Man

Yes I will do more naam simran, however I can't understand how we can go through so many incarnations when we are only 300,000 years old as a species. To go through all 8.4 million species would take several more years I believe.

Why is India/Middle East such poor places with many social problems and inequality? These are the places where most of the worlds religions formed yet they are highly corrupt and having shocking human rights records.

Maybe because they are too hot and people don't think straight in the heat, plus the contaminated water doesn't help with crystal clear thinking, then in the colder regions you have nut cases around who are possessive of their land and don't let people just walk in. There are too many reasons why the east is corrupt. But corruption exists in the west but is of a lower scale. Some feel the reason corruption exists in the east is due to interference from the west. But truly those people residing in those countries in the east are masters of their own choices and seem to be picking the wrong ones causing them. I blame the muhammden dark ages which is having a big effect on all of the regions. It's sad we as a smaller group haven't made ourselves immune to it. There is a lack of freedom of information, freedom of communication, lack freedom of media (it's getting better over time).

There are some bad sides of competitiveness also in eastern countries where by through competition people reach academic excellence but due to their competitiveness they aren't ready to work with people nor are they willing to admit mistakes to improve them. There is intense misogyny so half the population is pushed down, the half which raises the next generation is pushed down. Sikhs have fallen into pushing women down such as suppressive female voices, or not paying their male dues in domestic tasks.

I think many here would agree sikhi has the answers but there is too much hypocrisy pakhandi behaviour among sikhs. Then there is the suppression of the tender in science which was one of the founding principle of India. India however produces more graduates then all of Europe put together. But the research phd level done in India is of a low standard compared to other countries due to lack of investment and the need not being seen. There is also removing the patriarchal systems such as the caste ideas to produce a better society of more freeway of information. India doesn't take up enough use of it's poorer class, had it done many would have been uplifted economical and projects could have thrived even more in india.