Bhangra Artists Unbelievable Contradictions

sikhiseeker

Majority of the youth are monay and mostly all are hooked with singers like the above you mentioned. I don't think these singers are bad as they always step up to lend hand for any sikh cause like of bhai gurbax Singh khalsa. Song writing is one unique talent but I don't think we have any famous one who is close to sikhi. If we see problem then we should become a part of solution. Write songs that promotes the true message of sikhi. Also do keep in mind that in 80's singer were against sikh movement and today they are with sangat.

To better understand the situation one has to really go into punjabi culture/lifestyle rather than just label wrong/right.

Majority of the youth are monay and mostly all are hooked with singers like the above you mentioned. I don't think these singers are bad as they always step up to lend hand for any sikh cause like of bhai gurbax Singh khalsa. Song writing is one unique talent but I don't think we have any famous one who is close to sikhi. If we see problem then we should become a part of solution. Write songs that promotes the true message of sikhi. Also do keep in mind that in 80's singer were against sikh movement and today they are with sangat.

To better understand the situation one has to really go into punjabi culture/lifestyle rather than just label wrong/right.

WJKK WJKF

Simply showing support to people like bhai Gurbax Singh Khalsa Ji does not undo the caste segregation and bad image bhangra singers like the above mentioned do. The 80's were the 80's, we need to look at what the issues are present day and how that situation will play out in the future. Caste, Alcohol, the image of these singers and the general frolicking around with girls is fine, as long as you do not associate it with sikhi, which is the case now.

Panjabi culture is of no value to me, I don't personally care about heer ranjha or any other traditional panjabi love story which traditional bhangra is based on. My heroes and heroines are people like mata gujri ji and shaheed bhai jeevan Singh ji.

Also, not all of bhangra music is now based on the traditional panjabi love stories. Lyrical content is simply caste based.

Do you appreciate the film "jatt and Juliette"? I certainly don't and hope that rather than support these artists constant contradictions, we should as the SIKH sangat condemn any association with derogatory physical images associated with sikhs and kick out caste.

Panjabi Culture and Virsa is one thing, sikhi is another, the two can never mix.

The very reason why I condemn artist such as I have stated in the topic is the very point you mentioned. The youth, the wrong message is given at an early age. Basically, alcohol is great, sex is great and your caste is your identity and no one else's matches- WRONG!

How can a person who sings that their caste is the best wearing a Kara having camera shots of the sikh symbol of the khanda within the video also featuring again, girls and booze then on another channel be singing a Dharmic geet about our shaheed. Do you really not thing that their is no damage on the youths opinion when listening to their music?

What should be done is they should sing songs which celebrates all panjabi's and the healthy panjabi culture and Virsa what Panjab once saw, not the very tools used so that Panjab has become a alcoholic fueled, drug inflicted wreck. Then their positive stance will enable to call these singers as role models and their dharmic geet will be an inspiration for that same youth which they inspire, which then the dharmic geet will also inspire.

WJKK WJKF

WJKK, WJKF

Please dear brother take a look at these lyrics sung by a Mr. Diljit Dosanj in his song Kharku!

Kive tod dau koi tera mera pyar ni

Mure jatt kharku khdaaaaa

How can someone separate us? Jatt Kharku is standing right in front to protect us.

Haath vich fadi talwar ni

Gut vich soniye Karaa

I have a sword in my hand and karaa(steel bangle) on my fist.

These aren't based on the traditional stories of panjabi culture, rather a caste based reference associated with sikhi where sikhi denounces caste.

Also brother, I read this post you made on a topic about meat " Meat: SikhSangat.com holds an Anti-Meat stand. We feel that eating meat is immoral, unlawful and simply wrong according to the teachings of Guru Granth Sahib jee." It would be great if this view was taken by sikhs in general as in caste is immoral, unlawful and simply wrong according to the teachings of Guru Granth Sahibi ji. Rather than excepting that caste associated with sikhi within bhangra alongside other defaming issues and telling one to try and understand panjabi culture, there should be an anti-stand against caste by sikhsangat.com and sikhs.

Sikhi is not a pick a mix religion, as it has been made at present.

WJKK WJKF

Just to add to this, everyone should watch these videos showing Kuldeep Manak's last interview:

Manak nailed all major points in the above interview. Music industry must watch his interview.

I think main problem in punjabi music industry is having so much gandh in almost every music videos. As manak said its fault of people and tv channels for diluting real punjabi music culture.

I think they sing what sells to make a living... you had Miss Pooja and I think Lembher are not Jatt .... but sing songs bigging up Jatts because thats where the demand is and what sells... the lyrics regarding Caste, sharaab etc doesnt necessarily mean the singer endorses the lyrics... or even believes what they are singing... Miss Pooja is a known Ravidasia follower!!!

The blame does not belong with the singers but Punjabi community! Compare Diljit's dharmic album sales and his Jatt filled stuff... where does he earn a living?

I think we need to look at the Punjabi community that buys and demands these songs... if there was no demand there would be no supply. Kharku song from a sikh perspective is not good! but look how long it was number 1?

I fully understand the OP in stating that its kinda hypocritical but Diljit has done more for Sikhi in his songs and image with dastaar (albeit trimmed) then say Gurdass Mann or Malkit Singh IMO... He has full keshdhari singhs in his dharmic videos and most of the time he probably makes a loss on such releases. In addition it will be interesting to see his new film about 1984 and how he challenges the Indian Government... this is the first high profile punjabi singer that is making such a film. I understand how people view him as not a role model in Sikhi... but hes doing more than 95% of other singers,... and I dont think he considers himself to be any sort of Sikh based role model... I know he would feel uncomfortable should any associate him as being a role model for Sikhs...

However, I think we should support him more on his Sikhi based projects like his new film 1984 and albums... having met Diljit Singh I can confirm he is panthically aware and fully respects Sikhi... neither does he follow any deray baba or sing for them like most other high profile singers do...

I think they sing what sells to make a living... you had Miss Pooja and I think Lembher are not Jatt .... but sing songs bigging up Jatts because thats where the demand is and what sells... the lyrics regarding Caste, sharaab etc doesnt necessarily mean the singer endorses the lyrics... or even believes what they are singing... Miss Pooja is a known Ravidasia follower!!!

The blame does not belong with the singers but Punjabi community! Compare Diljit's dharmic album sales and his Jatt filled stuff... where does he earn a living?

I think we need to look at the Punjabi community that buys and demands these songs... if there was no demand there would be no supply. Kharku song from a sikh perspective is not good! but look how long it was number 1?

I fully understand the OP in stating that its kinda hypocritical but Diljit has done more for Sikhi in his songs and image with dastaar (albeit trimmed) then say Gurdass Mann or Malkit Singh IMO... He has full keshdhari singhs in his dharmic videos and most of the time he probably makes a loss on such releases. In addition it will be interesting to see his new film about 1984 and how he challenges the Indian Government... this is the first high profile punjabi singer that is making such a film. I understand how people view him as not a role model in Sikhi... but hes doing more than 95% of other singers,... and I dont think he considers himself to be any sort of Sikh based role model... I know he would feel uncomfortable should any associate him as being a role model for Sikhs...

However, I think we should support him more on his Sikhi based projects like his new film 1984 and albums... having met Diljit Singh I can confirm he is panthically aware and fully respects Sikhi... neither does he follow any deray baba or sing for them like most other high profile singers do...

WJKK, WJKF

When you met Diljit Dosanjh, how did you come to the conclusion that he is "panthically aware and fully respects sikhi"?. Did you watch jatt and julliette 1 & 2 and then listen to his song "Kharku" first before making your opinion? I find it completely ridiculous that people try and justify these caste endorsements done by these people and then say support them. I will never support a person who on one hand supports anti-gurmat and then on the other hand has the cheek to sing Dharmic geet! I will never let this person become a role model either. I do agree with you that the issue needs to be addressed within its demand. It's fine if a person believe in their caste, idolise themselves and wanna sing their castes praise and be apart of their caste. However I have a problem when they bring my gurus Nirmal panth into that! Any amrit dhari sikh who endorse this needs to ask themselves "why am I ok with is when it is causes segregation and bad issues within my religion"

Also how can you state that Diljit Dosanj has done more for sikhi albeit with a trimmed beard lol, why? The alcohol, women, caste and trimming of the beard becomes good for sikhi then if you simply have put a pagg on? So what your saying is adhere to Man Matt but with a pag on, encourage segregation, booze and girls within young people born into "sikh" families, then after you have done this the dharmic album will flop because people don't wanna listen to this as they want what you did first, but you have made a brilliant contribution to guru nanaks Nirmal panth!?

Also your right, the song "Kharku" is not "ok" from the sikh viewpoint, hence why I condemn these singers actions as I try to have a sikhi viewpoint on all things within my life, for me personally everything starts and finishes with my sikh viewpoint. My view point is man mat and it will always win if I give it the opportunity to voice it's opinion.

Again, caste and the image portrayed by people like Lembher hussanpuri, miss poojo and Diljit Dosanj should be condemned if we say we are religiously sikh, no amrit dhari should support such actions.

WJKK WJKF

Manak nailed all major points in the above interview. Music industry must watch his interview.

I think main problem in punjabi music industry is having so much gandh in almost every music videos. As manak said its fault of people and tv channels for diluting real punjabi music culture.

WJKK, WJKF

Dear brother,

Manak sahib is right in the context of the music industry, but my point is from the dharmic viewpoint, samaaj and virsa cannot mix with sikh gurmat as it becomes Mann matt.

Also, you did not reply to the post I made to you?

WJKK WJKF

There are plenty of fake artists who claim to be dharmic when it suits them. Malkit Singh recently released some dharmic tunes.

The same Malkit Singh who recently when he attended Downing Street to celebrate Vaisakhi failed to raise the Devinder Pal Bhullar case with David Cameron.. Then after agreeing to meet the sangat protesting outside ran away down the street when the sewadars back was turned.

Two faced people when it actually matters they don't care about dharam or Sikhi