New To Sikhi.. Help?:)

Guest nori

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

I'm new to Sikhi and trying to learn as much as possible :) Do you know where can I find good resources? I already know about some sikhi answers pages, but are there some online sikh courses/schools or live chats?

VAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA, VAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

Gurbani - your primary resource. Read as much as you can and if you cannot understand, read the translations (the usual disclaimers: head covered, shoes off, respectful treatment of the media on which the Gurbani is displayed). Everything else is at its periphery. All the physical requirements and discipline, process, procedures (Rehat) serve to strengthen and nourish Gurbani in your mind, body and soul. But the core of Sikhi is Gurbani (and Gurbani's directs you to Naam and Naam Simran (continuous rememberance of the Almighty. Focus on Gurbani and what it says, and when the cuirosity about Naam awakens, you are progressing. Sangat of Gursikhs at that point is essential for progression, with an aim towards becoming Amritdhari - a Gursikh).

The rest will come, but getting some familiarity with Gurbani is vital to understanding what the essence of Sikhi is.

Also, note that people will introduce divisions, controversy and opinions - that is their perspective. You need to read Gurbani and you will be blessed with your OWN perspective of Sikhi that God wants you to have. Stay far from that, as it will spoil the sweetness of Gurbani.

Welcome Nori. :)

I am also fairly new to Sikhi, and I've found the Basics of Sikhi channel mentioned above as a great resource. Most of the videos are very short and easy to fit into the day, they're also in English. The Basics of Sikhi channel is beginning to post a course called "Why Guru?" (the videos posted are found under their playlist), and they also have multiple videos on learning the Gurmukhti script.

Another good source is MacAuliffe's series "The Sikh Religion". It was written in the early 1900s, so the language can be a little tedious to read at times, but its very informative. I am only part-way through the first book. I also have Harban Singh Doabia's "Sacred Nitnem", which has all the nitnem written in Gurmukhti script, beneath that its in Romanized transliterations, and then in English translation. The back of the book has essays about the meaning of the prayers. These two are easily found on-line, and I think even the MacAuliffe series is a free download on some website.

I also enjoy the free Android app "Sikh World". It has the prayers, SGGS, Hukamnana, music, Sakhis, a dictionary, etc. Its a great resource to have when I am sitting on the train.