Sign in to follow this  
Guest nori

New To Sikhi.. Help?:)

Guest nori

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

I'm new to Sikhi and trying to learn as much as possible :) Do you know where can I find good resources? I already know about some sikhi answers pages, but are there some online sikh courses/schools or live chats?

VAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA, VAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

Gurbani - your primary resource. Read as much as you can and if you cannot understand, read the translations (the usual disclaimers: head covered, shoes off, respectful treatment of the media on which the Gurbani is displayed). Everything else is at its periphery. All the physical requirements and discipline, process, procedures (Rehat) serve to strengthen and nourish Gurbani in your mind, body and soul. But the core of Sikhi is Gurbani (and Gurbani's directs you to Naam and Naam Simran (continuous rememberance of the Almighty. Focus on Gurbani and what it says, and when the cuirosity about Naam awakens, you are progressing. Sangat of Gursikhs at that point is essential for progression, with an aim towards becoming Amritdhari - a Gursikh).

The rest will come, but getting some familiarity with Gurbani is vital to understanding what the essence of Sikhi is.

Also, note that people will introduce divisions, controversy and opinions - that is their perspective. You need to read Gurbani and you will be blessed with your OWN perspective of Sikhi that God wants you to have. Stay far from that, as it will spoil the sweetness of Gurbani.

• Like 1

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Truly blessed to find this path, may we ask how your journey has come about and what brought you to Sikhi?

Welcome Nori. :)

I am also fairly new to Sikhi, and I've found the Basics of Sikhi channel mentioned above as a great resource. Most of the videos are very short and easy to fit into the day, they're also in English. The Basics of Sikhi channel is beginning to post a course called "Why Guru?" (the videos posted are found under their playlist), and they also have multiple videos on learning the Gurmukhti script.

Another good source is MacAuliffe's series "The Sikh Religion". It was written in the early 1900s, so the language can be a little tedious to read at times, but its very informative. I am only part-way through the first book. I also have Harban Singh Doabia's "Sacred Nitnem", which has all the nitnem written in Gurmukhti script, beneath that its in Romanized transliterations, and then in English translation. The back of the book has essays about the meaning of the prayers. These two are easily found on-line, and I think even the MacAuliffe series is a free download on some website.

I also enjoy the free Android app "Sikh World". It has the prayers, SGGS, Hukamnana, music, Sakhis, a dictionary, etc. Its a great resource to have when I am sitting on the train.

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Topics

• Damaging cultural anti-Sikh practices such as foeticide, dowry, and casteism need to be eliminated. Don't destroy the colourful aspects of our collective character. I don't personally like dancing or any of that crap myself, but as you get older and you look at culture as a subject that informs a unique group's identity, you cannot, or at least shouldn't, eradicate harmless "rang-brang" under the auspices of religious autocracy. The problem arrives when things are indulged in to excess, and that's a problem for Sikhs, because we are prone to extremes. It's a flaw in our character.  I don't like this Sharia-esque mentality of khattar Sikhs. I'm one myself in certain respects but I know when to pull back and see the bigger picture. Unfortunately, the low-IQ hot-heads are unknowingly sowing the seeds for rebellion against their cause before they've even laid the first brick of the foundations of their movement. If you can't trace the evolution and subsequent stages of a scenario where this type of censorship will be rallied against by your own people who don't share your religious devotion, then you don't deserve what you're aiming for. Open a history book. History is littered with such examples. Wake up and focus on REAL problems facing Sikhs; that require intelligence and tenacity to tackle, not superfluous, easy side issues that don't matter.
    • They do it by controlling their breathing. There’s breathing techniques which can  make body produce huge amount of heat (or even cold).  I find it quite interesting though. Why do sadhus/yogis do their meditation in cold places like mountains with snow and not hot deserts? I think it’s to do with heat. During serious meditation enormous heat gets produced. When such heat is radiating from body a cold external environment probably helps them transfer heat away to stay cool. But anyway this is hatt yog marag. Satguru Nanak Dev Ji gave us shabad surat marag which is easier way to connect with god: ~ Gaaveeai Suneeai Man Rakheeai Bhaao ||
    • Try using moustache wax. But you do get used it. It’s part of being a Singh as @Jai Tegang! rightly said. It gives an excuse to visit washroom to quickly clean your dhari and also rinse your mouth which so few people bother with after eating!
    • As someone who works in social media and cyber security, I suspect not censorship, but a safety protocol got triggered. Reported content gets reviewed by actual people and it can be days before it’s reviewed. If many reports are submitted within short period linking to one hashtag it could be something very sinister, especially if the reports are for graphic violence or death. You know how mass shootings and violence have been live streamed on FB? No chances are taken for it to happen again. Algorithms and AI detect and block anything receiving multiple instances of serious category reporting immediately and flag it for urgent review by staff. People have obviously reported some #Sikh content. It could be a group of anti sikh trolls reporting multiple posts - trying to suppress our voices, again! Of course they failed, #Sikh became visible again rather quickly
    • This is shocking news    In a shocking act of censorship, social networking sites Facebook and Instagram have blocked the #Sikh hashtag on their platforms, while Sikhs worldwide commemorate the atrocities committed against Sikhs in India in June 1984. #NeverForget1984 Read more: https://t.co/dXD2YtnKUb

Important Information

Terms of Use