Advice Please

Guest OhDearMe

Guest OhDearMe

i just wanted some advice . I do nitnem but i find it extremely difficult to focus my mind. Ill try to keep it still but before i Know it my minds off wondering and by the time i notice the baani is complete. I've recently been reading saakiya and listening to katha and the funny thing is its always happened to be about how important it is to focus the mind. Ive learnt that there's no point without focusing the mind as you may physically be doing baani but the mind and attention is elsewhere so you cannot achieve salvation, but i dont know how to stop this happening? I've tried and tried but i can't find an answer. I've had quite a bit happen recently and I've found peace at waheguru jis feet and i really dont want to loose it all now . sometimes i feel so upset i just want to cry and to be honest i dont know why i feel this. Sometimes it happens at random moments. When i cry i try to think about god and relate my tears to that but honestly i dont know the reason behind it. Am i sad upset or lonely or feeling peace? i just dont know I also feel very down when i argumentatively answer back to someone and feel as if all that i have gained is lost this also puts me down :( Im so worried as ive found the true Guru but just dont want to loose him again. I also have this problem of telling little harmless white lies . say i had the last choco in the box and someone asked did you have it ill just automatically say No. I know its no bigy but i know myself and i know all these little lies will built in confidence and devil in me to tell bigger lies. I do it so unintentionally and i just dont know how to stop it?

It's a blessing

You don't want to loose Guru sahib, it's nirmal bhaao which is esential in Gursikhi

Bani even if your mind wanders, washes off your bad karams, is purifying it from the bottom, which is hard to realize at this time.

Crying is from the feeling beneath to see how great and loving Guru sahib is, and we are or have been so selfish and ungrateful to HIM, it's kind of "vairaag" ....don't stop or try to stop, let it happen, it helps getting rid of the burden on heart of so many janams

Feeling guilty after arguing or anything like that makes you realize that it's not a good thing, your mind will get fed up of all this over some time and then a time will come when peoples comments or compliments wouldn't affect you and you'll start accepting Guru sahib's raza without even realizing it.

On concentration, 2 things you can do, first try to understand the meaning as you do path, if you find it hard or don't know the "arth", then try focising on the gramatical part - eg - laga maatra / sihari bihari etc, this is Guru Gobind Singh ji's bachan, you'll start understanding and focusing by yourself by Guru sahibs kirpa based on your karam and HIS kirpa

Guru bhala kare

thank you for this topic as i also have problems concentrating and any tips will help me too. Have found trying to listen to my voice as I'm reciting helps and also to see mind wandering as my mind's way of trying to get control as it doesn't want to focus or be controlled - this way I don't get so annoyed with myself and feel guilty - it seems to help. but mind is very clever and seems to come up with new tricks, recently I noticed I'm getting parts of Japji Sahib mixed up, think its a sign I need to focus more on the meanings.

Hope that helps.

-Have you tried adding some raag or rhythm to it ??

I'm not saying singing, but just say the tuks with a little vocal composition like you hear some of the popular paathis doing.

This can be done out loud or better,if done silently and internally.

- Problem is that we become so used to speed reading other books and then lot's of people end up doing the same thing with paat.

I am not a fan of this and neither do I get impressed when people brag that they do japji in less than 5-7 minutes.

- The way around avoiding this speed reading type reciting,-

- is to make first make sure you are saying every word clearly and make sure that the last part of every word is clearly being pronounced.(I think this is what tuhintuhin ji above, was trying to emphasize about the grammatical parts ?)

My little TIP here would be, - to listen to your own self and see if you are giving enough emphasis towards the end of the word and tuk as you do when starting the line.

This listening to yourself applies for both quiet/silent reciting and reading out aloud.

-Another little secret when doing it mentally and silently, is to have it at a HIGH Internal Volume within, as if you are shouting or saying it with full power from the bottom of your vocal chords.

This should help drown out most inner thoughts.!!

Some of you will complain that it adds an extra third to your normal time, but if you practice in this manner at first, and then speed up whilst keeping your OWN discipline from above few tips,...... You will find that you can come to a comfortable and personal speed where you can feel the anand.

Try and be strict with this personal discipline, and make some of your own little rules as you go along, that you find help.

For eg.. ....sometimes, I get to the end and think that i didn't feel that or I didn't do it properly like I usually can, ......then I apologize to Guruji and start it all over again from the beginning !

If this delays me for what I was going to do after,... then I tell myself ..Tough!!!!!