Singh Converts To Christianity

Guest MrHSinghK

SINGH4PEACE is right for stating the following "In this democratic world, let them do what they are doing. If these people are converting on their own will then I see nothing wrong."

The problem is recognising the underline issue why people are converting to different religion. Do they truly find peace and get treated as equals?

India is a vast country with many different cultures, languages and as communities move from one state to another, its common trait in human-beings to find similarities with your new neighbours. From personal observation of India that is the reason why India has flourished and become a multicultural state. The problems come, when these similarities are not so common and the only way to achieve this is to either adapt & evolve or accept these differences and try to get on. But sometimes the only solution is to change your current outlook accept the majority. This was never the case in historical India (not India as a country but as a land mass), many cultures were accepted as part of the big picture but the problems seem to have occurred in mid 20th century, where religious identity became the common trait. Well, it made things simple, you followed the same religion as the masses and automatically you are accepted by the masses.

Why is Christian conversion on the rise? They are not part of the masses; the cultural similarities are contradictory from the locals they are converting. So, why are these people converting? Maybe that is the answer, the differences, something new. Christian church is accepting the people for who they are, no caste, everyone is treated as equal.

Where Hinduism, caste system plays a crucial role in the Indian society and the low caste will always be treated like an animal, change Christianity brings, the low cast locals are looking for. For once, the low caste can break out of this vicious culture of caste and stop discrimination against them.

Probably, many are thinking on this forum, why not Sikh dharm, we don’t believe in the caste system, we treat everyone as equals.

Do Sikhs really practise what they preach? We are seeing a common occurrence of many low caste Sikhs breaking away from all Sikh affiliation and creating their own Temples under the banner of Baghat Ravi Das and other Saints. This is on the increase in India and the west.

Many on this forum have stated, we need to push the knowledge of Sikh Dharm to these people and we need to fund these activities but, will it have any outcome? Personally, I don’t think so, it’s not the lack of knowledge these people are deprived off, it’s the feeling of acceptance and being treated as equals. Even now, the Sikh faith is littered with religious leaders who are from Jaat caste and they still continue to push this during the elections. May not be intentionally but it’s the way the Indian society have been raised by the previous generations, the caste system is the core off all Indian person. Sikh faith may not believe in the caste system but do majority of Sikh people believe in it?

The answer is YES.

hehehe..love your post...Gal sirf ani reh gyi hun ki asi sikh "parshuraam wangu jabaliya jaada marde a.. par christianna de jo pop guru kende a o oh krke b dikhonde a....sach kaudha par sacha

I beg to differ. You need to go other parts of India where the church is more established eg Goa.

Churches are also divided on race, particularly in the US South, the KKK also burned down many black churches especially during the Civil Rights era.

I have talked about the caste man not about race.....obama became a president of Usa.....it shows how these western white people have high morals and thinking.... will you go out to vote any dalit being a jatt or khatri.... i bet you ll never

You are implying that Christianity provides equality when it clearly does not.

Caste system exists amongst Indian Christians.

Your analogy about Obama is like saying that Manmohan Singh being prime minister of India means that the High caste Hindu has high morals and thinking.

The Dalits are on the up politically and they are increasing their power politically with some of the Chief Ministers in the BIMARU states being Dalits.

As to whether I would vote for a Dalit. I tend to look down on all politicians whichever caste they belong to. However, if there a corrupt Jatt/Khatri vs less corrupt Dalit who has proactive approach and get things done to improve governance, reduce corruption, improve living standards for all and increase opportunities for all then I will vote for the Dalit.

• 2 months later...
Guest obhanstar

My True Story...

Dear Friends,

With great sadness I wish to inform you that on 22nd of April 2014, I was arrested by the Bangalore police on the complaint of one of the local sangat members that I had defamed him and other members of the Gurdwara committee with my derogatory remarks. Those who have read my previous posts must be aware with the Gurdwara committee with regard to some Panthic issues. No one from the local or online sangat of this forum came forward to help me or even find find out how I was.
Last night my family somehow managed to bail me out after borrowing money from here and there and now the result is that we are left penniless with even no food to eat.

I am extremely saddened by the indifference of my Sikh brothers and sisters and and their selfishness which prevented them from helping their brother in such great trouble.

My 21 day ordeal in the Bangalore central jail as quite traumatic as I landed up there virtually penniless and contrary to popular belief, stay in the prison is not free. Firstly you have to buy your own toiletries and next there are two warders for every barrack who need to be paid fifty rupees each by each prisoner per week if you dont want to put to labour job such as sweeping the jail, cleaning toilets etc. Next you every prisoner has to pay 50 rupees per month to the jail electrician failing which the fans of the barrick will be stitched off and the mosquitoes will kill you in no time. The same goes for water supply as well. Finally each prisoner has to pay rupees fifty per week to the police men of the barrack to keep out of trouble with them.

Since I had no money with me, I was tortured emotionally and morally for the first two days and I collapsed from the hard labour and spent the third day in jail hospital and got back to the barrack on the fourth day.

One warder from the next barrack suggested me that he could help me if I cooperated with me. The deal was that he ran a small shop in the jail selling bidis, cigarettes, tobacco, ganja, gutka and other drugs and if I agreed to man that shop every day, he would bear all my expenses till such time that I was in jail. The Sikh in me flatly refused to even agree to such a ridiculous proposition but having known that I had been shunned by my whole community either on its own accord or by held to ransom by the bullying tactics of one individual or several individuals, it was time to seek my survival first. The Sikh in me died a little bit of painful death every day and it became more painful with the realisation that my own brothers and sisters had done this to me. As if this was not enough I had to live in the smoke of bidis, cigarettes and ganja 24 hours a day. This was the reward given to me by my community from being born as a Sikh and having been a god fearing Sikh till my arrest.

For once I could forgive those responsible for 1984 because non Sikhs were responsible for the carnage were non Sikhs but how could forgive my own people who killed the Sikh inside me and refused to help me out? I now understand why our sisters and daughter seek to marry non Sikhs because if this is the example we set before them, they will hardly consider any Sikh male to be suitable as their life partner.

Since the entire Sikh community has united against me and shunned me, I to have taken the very painful decision of renouncing Sikhism and embracing Christianity as my religion and my faith. I have chosen Christianity as it is a religion based on love and forgiveness and will help me forgive those who wronged me so terribly.

I am sorry if I have hurt anyone's feelings and I pray to god to give me the courage to forgive every one who hurt me knowingly or unknowingly and also give me the courage to spend the rest of my life as a god fearing Christian.

Thanks,
Jasvinder Obhan.

jasvinderstar@gmail.com

what a sad story

My True Story...

Dear Friends,

With great sadness I wish to inform you that on 22nd of April 2014, I was arrested by the Bangalore police on the complaint of one of the local sangat members that I had defamed him and other members of the Gurdwara committee with my derogatory remarks. Those who have read my previous posts must be aware with the Gurdwara committee with regard to some Panthic issues. No one from the local or online sangat of this forum came forward to help me or even find find out how I was.
Last night my family somehow managed to bail me out after borrowing money from here and there and now the result is that we are left penniless with even no food to eat.

I am extremely saddened by the indifference of my Sikh brothers and sisters and and their selfishness which prevented them from helping their brother in such great trouble.

My 21 day ordeal in the Bangalore central jail as quite traumatic as I landed up there virtually penniless and contrary to popular belief, stay in the prison is not free. Firstly you have to buy your own toiletries and next there are two warders for every barrack who need to be paid fifty rupees each by each prisoner per week if you dont want to put to labour job such as sweeping the jail, cleaning toilets etc. Next you every prisoner has to pay 50 rupees per month to the jail electrician failing which the fans of the barrick will be stitched off and the mosquitoes will kill you in no time. The same goes for water supply as well. Finally each prisoner has to pay rupees fifty per week to the police men of the barrack to keep out of trouble with them.

Since I had no money with me, I was tortured emotionally and morally for the first two days and I collapsed from the hard labour and spent the third day in jail hospital and got back to the barrack on the fourth day.

One warder from the next barrack suggested me that he could help me if I cooperated with me. The deal was that he ran a small shop in the jail selling bidis, cigarettes, tobacco, ganja, gutka and other drugs and if I agreed to man that shop every day, he would bear all my expenses till such time that I was in jail. The Sikh in me flatly refused to even agree to such a ridiculous proposition but having known that I had been shunned by my whole community either on its own accord or by held to ransom by the bullying tactics of one individual or several individuals, it was time to seek my survival first. The Sikh in me died a little bit of painful death every day and it became more painful with the realisation that my own brothers and sisters had done this to me. As if this was not enough I had to live in the smoke of bidis, cigarettes and ganja 24 hours a day. This was the reward given to me by my community from being born as a Sikh and having been a god fearing Sikh till my arrest.

For once I could forgive those responsible for 1984 because non Sikhs were responsible for the carnage were non Sikhs but how could forgive my own people who killed the Sikh inside me and refused to help me out? I now understand why our sisters and daughter seek to marry non Sikhs because if this is the example we set before them, they will hardly consider any Sikh male to be suitable as their life partner.

Since the entire Sikh community has united against me and shunned me, I to have taken the very painful decision of renouncing Sikhism and embracing Christianity as my religion and my faith. I have chosen Christianity as it is a religion based on love and forgiveness and will help me forgive those who wronged me so terribly.

I am sorry if I have hurt anyone's feelings and I pray to god to give me the courage to forgive every one who hurt me knowingly or unknowingly and also give me the courage to spend the rest of my life as a god fearing Christian.

Thanks,
Jasvinder Obhan.

jasvinderstar@gmail.com

What a sad story and sad state of affairs.... for those Sikhs to shun fellow Sikhs is anti-sikh behaviour and to judge those Sikhs as reflection on the whole faith is also an anti-sikh behaviour. Both sets of so called Sikhs failed Sikhism because they do not live up to the teachings....

Christianity is no better infact its far worse giving humanity false hope of salvation through Jesus who himself said he isnt God. And who said he coming back soon to his followers and they waited for him and died pointlessly and he never returned to save them.

Its time we attacked Christianity at its core the same why they have infiltrated and attacked Sikhi for decades now, ever since they came and invaded the Sikh empire the christian's have been deteremined to capture the Punjab and preach their falsehood making the white Christian and catholic vatican banking elite rich and other populations of the earth poorer.

Christainity may not have the caste system which an indian problem.But it has the middle eastern problem of Slavery, Slavery is approved in christainity.Slavery is approved of in the old and new testament.People should stop seeing christainity through rose coloured glasses. Read the old testament and find the true nature of the religion

Sorry to hear your experience veer, we are very sad to see you go. I strongly beleive Sikhi is very unique sant and soldier path if its understood correctly and experienced fully. Your bad expereince you had nothing to do with Sikh philosophy and theology, practical spiritual/ soldier /activist sikh way of life, your experience is do with tribal sikh community issues unfortunately prevalent -typical gurdwara community politics of ostracizing which themselves are contary to Sikh Gurmat teachings.

You can still be sikh without tribal sikh community issue baggage. I highly recommend you - take a break - disconnect totally from past and sikh community issue and start fresh as you were new born- read sri guru granth sahib ji as new born naturally learn with sehaj do sehaj patt of gurbani- shabad will itself bring you back in sikhi fold in one point or another.

Jasvinder Obhan,
Giving up a way of life such as Sikhi 'a rare jewel' that not everyone gets a chance to be so easily is a mistake. No doubt you suffered some hardships, but these are not comparable to what Sikhs throughout history have endured without losing faith. Sant Jarnail Singh used to sing 'Sir Jaave taan Jaave, mera Sikhi Sidhak naa jaave' and this is what Sikhs aspire to and some follow this to the letter. I'm not going to criticise other faiths as most have similar messages but in the age of Kalyug SatGuru Nanak's house is supreme and Guru Sahib mentions - Without Satguru. Naam and SadhSangat of Gurmukhs one cannot attain salvation.
ਕਹੈ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਵੀਚਾਰਿ ਦੇਖਹੁ ਵਿਣੁ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਮੁਕਤਿ ਨ ਪਾਏ ॥੨੨॥
Says Nanak, contemplate this and see, that without the True Guru, there is no liberation. ||22||
ਸਭਿ ਸੁਖ ਮੁਕਤਿ ਨਾਮ ਧੁਨਿ ਬਾਣੀ ਸਚੁ ਨਾਮੁ ਉਰ ਧਾਰੀ ॥
ਨਾਮ ਬਿਨਾ ਨਹੀ ਛੂਟਸਿ ਨਾਨਕ ਸਾਚੀ ਤਰੁ ਤੂ ਤਾਰੀ ॥੯॥੭॥

“Those enshrined the True Name within their heart, those within is the flowing current of Naam, and those whose consciousness is attached to the vibrations of the Guru’s Baani obtain all comforts and liberation from Maya (the illusionary world). O Nanak! Without the Naam, no one is saved; You too swim across to the other side this true way in which there no chance of drowning. ||9||7||”